PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Colin Powell Run for president?

Tony Oday
10-14-2006, 06:32 PM
I never understood why he wouldnt I think he would win in a landslide!

Joemailman
10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Powell's problem is he's too liberal on social issues (abortion, affitmative action) to get the Republican nomination. Even the so-called maverick/independent John McCain is kissing up to Jerry Falwell as he prepares to seek the Republican nomination for 2008. If Powell wants to be President, he would have to switch parties or run as an independent. I agree that Powell would have a chance if he were in the general election, although his appearance at the U.N. making the case for war with Iraq might come back to haunt him.

red
10-14-2006, 07:50 PM
i agree tony. powell would win in a landslide, i'd vote for him

he might actually bring some respect back to the position, and he's smarter then a pile of cow shit

MJZiggy
10-14-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm with ya, red. I'd vote for him too. At this point we're likely to get Hillary vs. ?

Tony Oday
10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm with ya, red. I'd vote for him too. At this point we're likely to get Hillary vs. ?

Not a chance she is unelectable. She will not even win her parties nomination.

I dont think Powell would need a party to tell you the truth. We need a storng leader, with a REAL military background (thats a shot against the Dems and the Reps) international good reputation and an integrity guy.

I just think he is the best guy for the position. I dont care what party he runs for I would vote for him I think he has it all and that he could unite the country instead of the divisiveness that is what the U.S. has become.

GBRulz
10-14-2006, 09:26 PM
I think it will be Hillary vs. McCain.

Although if Oprah decides to run, she'd win in a landslide!

Personally, i would not vote for Powell. Wasn't his son the head of the FCC for a while until he effed things up and resigned?

Joemailman
10-14-2006, 09:41 PM
I think it will be Hillary vs. McCain.

Although if Oprah decides to run, she'd win in a landslide!

Personally, i would not vote for Powell. Wasn't his son the head of the FCC for a while until he effed things up and resigned?

If our guys are still getting killed in Iraq when the primaries start 15 months from now, Hillary could have problems getting the nomination. The anti-war faction of the Democratic party are not Hillary fans. Someone like Feingold or Gore, who opposed the war from the start, could give her real problems. The decision by Mark Warner of Virginia not to seek the nomination has led to serious speculation that Gore may run.

MJZiggy
10-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Don't they have to convince him to do it first? Last I heard he was having a great time with the new network, though maybe the environmental issues will make him do it.

Joemailman
10-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I've felt for some time that Gore would not run, but that he would try to influence who does get the nomination. However, I don't think he likes Hillary, and might run if he thinks he is the only one who can beat her.

Partial
10-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Powell's problem is he's too liberal on social issues (abortion, affitmative action) to get the Republican nomination. Even the so-called maverick/independent John McCain is kissing up to Jerry Falwell as he prepares to seek the Republican nomination for 2008. If Powell wants to be President, he would have to switch parties or run as an independent. I agree that Powell would have a chance if he were in the general election, although his appearance at the U.N. making the case for war with Iraq might come back to haunt him.

hit it on the head

Fosco33
10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately, Powell risked his reputation at the UN earmarking reasons for an Iraq war - political death.

snowballs chance in h - e - double hockey sticks

Tarlam!
10-15-2006, 01:08 AM
He is HIGHLY respected throughout the world, which is probably going to go against him.

Most people around the world sincerely hoped G.W. Bush would not make the second term, and he won by the most votes ever. Newspaper commentaries often quoted the spite in many voters in his re-election.

I am unsure as to the legitimacy of those commentaries; were Americans even aware of the world's disdain for Bush?

BTW, the world didn't think much of Al Gore either, it was the lesser of two evils. Since his new film, his reputation has been well enhanced and I've heard many people long for him to go for it again....

These are not my views necessarily, I am merely bringing in some world opinion. I don't really know enough about it to have a hard opinion.

Tony Oday
10-15-2006, 01:53 AM
Gore is an idiot.

Americans generally dont give a rats ass about the outside world we only care to divide our nation along racial, social and religious lines.

The only way the Dems win the next presidential election is if they use a no namer like they did with Clinton. Gore and Hillary are idiots and not even their party likes them.

Powell didnt hurt anything by stating to the UN that we thought there where WMDs in Iraq. EVERYBODY thought they were there.

Joemailman
10-15-2006, 07:45 AM
He is HIGHLY respected throughout the world, which is probably going to go against him.

Most people around the world sincerely hoped G.W. Bush would not make the second term, and he won by the most votes ever. Newspaper commentaries often quoted the spite in many voters in his re-election.

I am unsure as to the legitimacy of those commentaries; were Americans even aware of the world's disdain for Bush?

BTW, the world didn't think much of Al Gore either, it was the lesser of two evils. Since his new film, his reputation has been well enhanced and I've heard many people long for him to go for it again....

These are not my views necessarily, I am merely bringing in some world opinion. I don't really know enough about it to have a hard opinion.

Tarlam,

What do you mean when you say Bush won by the most votes ever? He won by 3 million, but that was one of the smallest margins in recent history. He may have gotten the most votes ever, but that is because 2004 had by far the highest number of people voting ever. Kerry also received more votes than anyone had ever gotten prior to 2004. It was well known, at least by those who follow politics, that Bush was not well liked outside the U.S. I don't think it hurt him, and may have actually helped him with certain constituencies.

red
10-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Gore is an idiot.

Americans generally dont give a rats ass about the outside world we only care to divide our nation along racial, social and religious lines.

The only way the Dems win the next presidential election is if they use a no namer like they did with Clinton. Gore and Hillary are idiots and not even their party likes them.

Powell didnt hurt anything by stating to the UN that we thought there where WMDs in Iraq. EVERYBODY thought they were there.

i strongly disagree here, many people including myself didn't think there was anything there

but powell can say he was just doing what he was told and following orders. if your bosses come to you with all this info, and you have to present it, you're going to do your best to sell it. if bush got re elected after we all found out there were no WMD's in iraq, and that there was good inteligence that said there weren't any there, then powell shouldn't have a problem with it either

red
10-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Tarlam,

What do you mean when you say Bush won by the most votes ever? He won by 3 million, but that was one of the smallest margins in recent history. He may have gotten the most votes ever, but that is because 2004 had by far the highest number of people voting ever. Kerry also received more votes than anyone had ever gotten prior to 2004. It was well known, at least by those who follow politics, that Bush was not well liked outside the U.S. I don't think it hurt him, and may have actually helped him with certain constituencies.

and a lot of those 3 million votes were suspect :mad:

retailguy
10-15-2006, 09:43 AM

He has publicly stated that he is worried about being assainated. His wife is supposedly paranoid concerning this.

They both believe that america is not ready for a black president, and that some nutcase would kill him, or try to.

retailguy
10-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Give it up Red, Kerry lost. Fair and square.

red
10-15-2006, 09:47 AM

Give it up Red, Kerry lost. Fair and square.

he lost, and it doesn't matter at this point, but i don't buy for a second that it was fair or square

red
10-15-2006, 09:49 AM

He has publicly stated that he is worried about being assainated. His wife is supposedly paranoid concerning this.

They both believe that america is not ready for a black president, and that some nutcase would kill him, or try to.

i can completely understand this, i too would fear for him if he's in office, theres too many sick nuts out there that couldn't stand a black prez

MJZiggy
10-15-2006, 09:52 AM
That is sooooo stupid.

I'm not saying it's not true, it's just really stupid that people would feel that way.

retailguy
10-15-2006, 09:54 AM
That is sooooo stupid.

What? <seriously>

Don't pick on Red like that, he can't help it.

<disclaimer>

THAT WAS A JOKE RED. A JOKE. OK? :mrgreen: :wink:

MJZiggy
10-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Allow me to clarify. People are stupid.

retailguy
10-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Maybe you are talking about me? I have no idea what people or perspective you think is stupid.

I'm assuming that those who would assasinate Powell, but am not sure, as you might think this thread is stupid.

Fosco33
10-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Maybe you mean the 15-30% of Americans who believe some sort of US gov't conspiracy around 9/11 and the war on terror. A la this week's Southpark episode :lol:

MJZiggy
10-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I can see that you're bored. Of course I am saying that anyone who would think to assasinate a qualified leader on the color of his skin is an absolute moron. The problem is that there are a few of them out there. I personally think that Powell would make a very good president and the fact that he even has to think about something like that troubles me.

Fosco33
10-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I can see that you're bored. Of course I am saying that anyone who would think to assasinate a qualified leader on the color of his skin is an absolute moron. The problem is that there are a few of them out there. I personally think that Powell would make a very good president and the fact that he even has to think about something like that troubles me.

I agree - but the president (regardless of skin color, etc) receives plenty of threats on a daily basis - for simply being the president.

I too like Powell but reserve a vote of confidence until he either announces his intention or discusses his positions. It's pretty obvious he followed orders well - he could have been a great leader if he'd taken a slightly less aggressive approach during his case for war speech to the UN (he took 4 days to research CIA reports and used unreliable data to increase the WMD debate).

Badgepack
10-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think Powell has the "power-trip ego" and has no desire to be president.

On the Dems side, Big Bill Richardson will be a player, he has a good record and would get the Hispanic vote.

red
10-15-2006, 01:46 PM
That is sooooo stupid.

What? <seriously>

you friggen asshole, god i hate you

<disclaimer>

oh, OHHHHHHHHHH

falco
10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't think Powell has the "power-trip ego" and has no desire to be president.

On the Dems side, Big Bill Richardson will be a player, he has a good record and would get the Hispanic vote.

richardson would probably be a great VP, bringing the swing states in the southwest and the hispanic vote. there was a belief out there during the 04 election that he wasn't picked for VP because he had some skeletons in the closet.

Chester Marcol
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Probably not for 2008, but Barack Obama will be a player in 2012 if Dems don't take the White House in 2008. He seems to be well respected and from what I see and hear so far is pretty impressive.

the_idle_threat
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM

Tarlam,

:lol:

The Dems have been active supporters of voting fraud and have blocked reasonable attempts to prevent it in Wisconsin. It's possible---even probable IMO---that Kerry did not legitimately win Wisconsin in '04.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 02:30 PM
he lost, and it doesn't matter at this point, but i don't buy for a second that it was fair or square

Isn't the Democratic party more notorious for voting irregularities? I know it makes Dems feel better to pin the blame for every wrong onto Republicans, but this is a tad much. And they wonder why they've haven't been getting the Independent vote.

Dems want everyone to vote--even those that haven't a clue about what they are voting on. Let's let the bums vote... maybe even some dead people... Mickey Mouse can vote a couple of times... why not some illegal immigrants... we'll promise them some favors and they'll vote for us.

SkinBasket
10-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Isn't the Democratic party more notorious for voting irregularities? I know it makes Dems feel better to pin the blame for every wrong onto Republicans, but this is a tad much. And they wonder why they've haven't been getting the Independent vote.

Dems want everyone to vote--even those that haven't a clue about what they are voting on. Let's let the bums vote... maybe even some dead people... Mickey Mouse can vote a couple of times... why not some illegal immigrants... we'll promise them some favors and they'll vote for us.

I love the Dem struggle to allow people to vote without identification. Why not just make your slogan "We love voter fraud! Now he's a pack of cigarettes to vote straight ticket Democrat you fucking bum. Go on, and when you come back, we'll put you on a different shuttle to a different polling place. Let every voice be heard!"Culture of anonymity my ass.

Maybe we can get Sowande Ajumoke Omokunde to go out slashing tires on voting shuttles again, hey? Oh, I forgot, that was just a "prank gone wrong" according to the Dem DA. Some fucking prank - stopping several hundred people from voting against his crazy-ass, dim witted, fashion-retarded mom. Real funny stuff.

Partial
10-17-2006, 03:29 PM
That is sooooo stupid.

What? <seriously>

you friggen asshole, god i hate you

<disclaimer>

oh, OHHHHHHHHHH

hahahah I read this and just burst out laughing :lol: :lol:

retailguy
10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
hahahah I read this and just burst out laughing :lol: :lol:

Red is much funnier than I am. I'm working hard to keep up, but it seems to be a losing proposition....

Red - Kudos to you for toppling the fantasy king. Damn him and Colston.... :mad: