PDA

View Full Version : Miami/FIU Brawl

justanotherpackfan
10-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Anybody know where to look for footage of this brawl?

ND72
10-15-2006, 11:37 AM
just watch espn for a while, or any NFL game today, good bet you'll see it. It was crazy though. Straight thugs down at the U, and FIU didn't look any better.

BallHawk
10-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Go to ESPN.com and than they'll be a box at the top about the brawl. They'll be a link that says "watch." Click on that and you'll get the vid.

And the disgusting thing was after the brawl the Miami players rallied about the brawl. F*cking thugs.

packers11
10-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I thought that fight was going to last forever, it could have been a lot worse.... Usually if teams start fighting like that (more in world soccer) the fans will jump in, and then it could get very dangerous....

b bulldog
10-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Coker will be gone at years end, maybe sooner. Butch Davis will be next in line at the U.

Jimx29
10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
it will ( if it's not already) be posted at youtube very soon, you can count on it

BallHawk
10-15-2006, 02:55 PM
YouTube is God's gift to man. No more tiresome Google searches, just put it in YouTube and results galore!

woodbuck27
10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Go to ESPN.com and than they'll be a box at the top about the brawl. They'll be a link that says "watch." Click on that and you'll get the vid.

And the disgusting thing was after the brawl the Miami players rallied about the brawl. F*cking thugs.

Really.

Thanks BallHawk. :mrgreen:

Wild day in early games. Lots of upsets.

hurleyfan
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
I forget what show I was watching, but one of the "hosts" suggested both schools should have their "TEAMS" suspended for the year!

This was totally unacceptable, but a sad reflection of what these young people have been seeing the last 10 or so years.. All these video games, whether it's football, baseball, or basketball, the emphasis has been all the violent aspects of the games, the chest thumping, the look at me crap..

justanotherpackfan
10-15-2006, 04:42 PM
All these video games, whether it's football, baseball, or basketball, the emphasis has been all the violent aspects of the games, the chest thumping, the look at me crap..
Huh?

hurleyfan
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
japf,
guess I was trying to say, there is so much violence that kids have been seeing (on t.v., in most video games) over the past ten years or so, the almost total lack of sportsmanship seems to be the nrom, and expected means of reaction.. Let's kick someones ass because he looked at me the wrong way, or there was a late hit... Seems to be way too violent a world.

FavreChild
10-15-2006, 05:52 PM
YouTube is God's gift to man. No more tiresome Google searches, just put it in YouTube and results galore!

Funny, but you do know that Google just bought YouTube, don't you? :wink:

Jimx29
10-15-2006, 07:08 PM
It's all about respect man.....don't "dis" me "man"..... :roll: :crazy:

Partial
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
youtube'd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWWC_ozN7E)

BallHawk
10-15-2006, 09:48 PM

Funny, but you do know that Google just bought YouTube, don't you? :wink:

Yep, but Google said they don't plan to make any changes to the site or the way it is run.

Partial
10-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Google bought Youtube for 100% of the reason seen clearly with a graph in this link.

Click Click Clickeroo (http://www.google.com/trends?q=youtube%2C+google+video&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all)

mraynrand
10-16-2006, 12:12 AM
What a melee! Everyone was out there. If you look carefully, you can see MrAynRand out there throwing some punches. I expect to be fined and suspended as soon as they identify me.

FavreChild
10-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Yep, but Google said they don't plan to make any changes to the site or the way it is run.

I highly doubt that. The issue of copyrighted material will be confronted eventually....I'll leave it at that for now.

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 08:12 AM
So, what do you guys think is really going to happen when all this is said and done.

BallHawk
10-16-2006, 08:33 AM

I highly doubt that. The issue of copyrighted material will be confronted eventually....I'll leave it at that for now.

Oh yeah, Defintely. I guess I didn't make myself clear in my point. I meant that Google won't change the blogs, the appropriatenes of the material, the layout of the site. Unfortuantly, they will be getting rid of the copyrighted material. That's a big reason why the creators sold YouTube, they were about to get some major lawsuits because of the copyright stuff. So the people that have their blogs about ceremonies and their daily lives will continue to live on in happiness, but those of us who use it to see things we missed on TV, we shall suffer. :mad:

Freak Out
10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
The video quality was pretty bad so it is hard to get the full effect but there was some thumping and kicking going on out there. The idiot swinging his helmet should have charges brought, from what I could see the guy he was hitting had his back turned. I think I saw some WWF stuff like body slams and such. Freaking animals......I wonder what the Grad rate is at those schools?

Sparkey
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
We might possibly have witnessed one of the dumbest people on the planet.

Ignoring the whole stupidity of the brawl itsself, and that idiot Lamar Thomas ranting stupidity on air.

Who, in a brawl, TAKES OFF their helmet in a brawl ? ? :crazy:

BUT, I think none of the players should be kicked off the team or school BUT they should have their scholarships revoked....... ( I Know same result :mrgreen: )

Ballboy
10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
this is not the right place for the rumor, but alum at Wisconsin sitting next to me thought that Barry might be interested in the Miami job, and that was before this fight broke out.....seems the AD at Miami used to be the one that hired Barry at WI?(or something to that fact)

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't understand, why would Barry go from an AD position back down to coach?

Sparkey
10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
this is not the right place for the rumor, but alum at Wisconsin sitting next to me thought that Barry might be interested in the Miami job, and that was before this fight broke out.....seems the AD at Miami used to be the one that hired Barry at WI?(or something to that fact)

Liberal brain fart Donna Shalala would be that person.

Rastak
10-16-2006, 06:35 PM
MIAMI -- Former Miami player Lamar Thomas lost his TV analyst job Monday over comments he made during a sideline-clearing brawl involving the Hurricanes and Florida International.

Comcast Sports SouthEast, a regional cable network that hired Thomas before the season, also decided to edit out his comments before the game is replayed later this week.

"We do not support or condone any of the comments that were made by Lamar," CSS general manager Mark Fuhrman said. The network, which is available in 5.5 million homes, will replay the game twice Wednesday.

Thomas made his comments as dozens of Miami and FIU players stormed the Orange Bowl field and fought during the third quarter of their teams' game Saturday night, an incident that led to the suspension of at least 31 players and forced officials from both schools to publicly apologize for the melee.

"Now, that's what I'm talking about," Thomas said as the brawl raged out of control. "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."

Monday, on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, Thomas said he got caught up in the moment as a former Miami player.

"Anybody who knows me knows I played the game of football with my heart on my sleeve," Thomas said. "Unfortunately for me during the fight I got a little hyped up. In no way do I condone fighting."

Miami and Florida International have campuses 9 miles apart in Miami-Dade County. It was the first meeting between the two programs, and the Hurricanes went on to win 35-0.

As the fight slowed, Thomas' comments continued.

"I say, why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ball game and get it on some more? You don't come into the OB, baby," Thomas said. "We've had a down couple years but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house."

A tape of the fight, including Thomas' comments, was available on the Internet on Sunday and Monday. The game was available for viewing Saturday night on a pay-per-view basis.

"We do not support or condone any of the comments that were made by Lamar," Fuhrman said after the incident.

The comments will be edited out before the game is replayed later this week.

Thomas was a third-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1993 and spent six seasons in the NFL, three with the Bucs and three with the Miami Dolphins.

He has a Gainesville address, but there was no listed telephone number for him in that area. He could not be reached Monday.

Fuhrman said CSS consulted with Miami officials before determining what action needed to be taken. Miami recommends on-air personnel for its broadcasts, Fuhrman said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Freak Out
10-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Lamar Thomas sounds like a true professional. I think ESPN will come a calling soon.

Charles Woodson
10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Are you guys kidding?? Okay, i thought that was pretty freaking funny. I mean it would suck to be the guy getting stomped on, but besides that fact, this made my day. I mean miami was having a crappy year so i doesnt matter if they get in much trouble, and btw i really think Butch Davis is getting Cokers job.Coker hasnt done crap. He won a nationa title with Butch Davis's team. Coker may be a above average coach, but he sucks ballz at recruting. Basically what it comes down to is that to be any coach in miami, you HAVE to win or fans will complain, theres alot of fair weather fans down here. You can see that in the panthers, when the dolphins sucked, and even when the Heat sucked. But back to the fight, i thought it was funny. And who cares what happens...

Sparkey
10-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Just had too ad this little quote from their dipshit university president.

....Shalala, though, insisted that the sum of the penalties handed out by Miami was strong enough.

"I believe that the young men we have recruited for our football team are young men of great character," Shalala said. "But they did a very bad thing."

LOL bad VERY BAD! but w/GREAT CHARACTER :crazy: Ok Donna, pass me some liberal mustard to put on my samich.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Just had too ad this little quote from their dipshit university president.

....Shalala, though, insisted that the sum of the penalties handed out by Miami was strong enough.

"I believe that the young men we have recruited for our football team are young men of great character," Shalala said. "But they did a very bad thing."

LOL bad VERY BAD! but w/GREAT CHARACTER :crazy: Ok Donna, pass me some liberal mustard to put on my samich.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......please stop you are killing me......LOL....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ahaha
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
MIAMI -- Former Miami player Lamar Thomas lost his TV analyst job Monday over comments he made during a sideline-clearing brawl involving the Hurricanes and Florida International.

Comcast Sports SouthEast, a regional cable network that hired Thomas before the season, also decided to edit out his comments before the game is replayed later this week.

"We do not support or condone any of the comments that were made by Lamar," CSS general manager Mark Fuhrman said. The network, which is available in 5.5 million homes, will replay the game twice Wednesday.

Thomas made his comments as dozens of Miami and FIU players stormed the Orange Bowl field and fought during the third quarter of their teams' game Saturday night, an incident that led to the suspension of at least 31 players and forced officials from both schools to publicly apologize for the melee.

"Now, that's what I'm talking about," Thomas said as the brawl raged out of control. "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."

Monday, on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, Thomas said he got caught up in the moment as a former Miami player.

"Anybody who knows me knows I played the game of football with my heart on my sleeve," Thomas said. "Unfortunately for me during the fight I got a little hyped up. In no way do I condone fighting."

Miami and Florida International have campuses 9 miles apart in Miami-Dade County. It was the first meeting between the two programs, and the Hurricanes went on to win 35-0.

As the fight slowed, Thomas' comments continued.

"I say, why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ball game and get it on some more? You don't come into the OB, baby," Thomas said. "We've had a down couple years but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house."

A tape of the fight, including Thomas' comments, was available on the Internet on Sunday and Monday. The game was available for viewing Saturday night on a pay-per-view basis.

"We do not support or condone any of the comments that were made by Lamar," Fuhrman said after the incident.

The comments will be edited out before the game is replayed later this week.

Thomas was a third-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1993 and spent six seasons in the NFL, three with the Bucs and three with the Miami Dolphins.

He has a Gainesville address, but there was no listed telephone number for him in that area. He could not be reached Monday.

Fuhrman said CSS consulted with Miami officials before determining what action needed to be taken. Miami recommends on-air personnel for its broadcasts, Fuhrman said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This is a funny story. Normally I'd probably feel bad for a guy like this, if he had let slip a comment that got him fired. But the guy went on for several minutes with this commentary. You wouldn't think that someone would have to remind this rube that he's not a player anymore. He doesn't have to defend his team's turf from an opponent who would dare to commit the outrageous act of smack-talking on the hallowed ground of the Orange Bowl. And then he tries to defend his actions by saying he got caught up in the heat of the moment. If that's the case, then he's a hot-headed moron. I'm sure the other commentators were trying to get him to stop, as well as the program director screaming in his ear to shut the hell up. The next thing you'll see will be a statement from him, like other high profile figures caught in a scandal, about how he's had a problem with alcohol that he's seeking treatment for, and how he was abused as a child.

hurleyfan
10-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Are you guys kidding?? Okay, i thought that was pretty freaking funny. I mean it would suck to be the guy getting stomped on, but besides that fact, this made my day. I mean miami was having a crappy year so i doesnt matter if they get in much trouble, and btw i really think Butch Davis is getting Cokers job.Coker hasnt done crap. He won a nationa title with Butch Davis's team. Coker may be a above average coach, but he sucks ballz at recruting. Basically what it comes down to is that to be any coach in miami, you HAVE to win or fans will complain, theres alot of fair weather fans down here. You can see that in the panthers, when the dolphins sucked, and even when the Heat sucked. But back to the fight, i thought it was funny. And who cares what happens...

This is the kind of response that shows how really F'd up this world has become :cry:

It would suck to be the guy getting stomped? WTF!!

How about the whole incident SUCKED :?:

Charles Woodson
10-17-2006, 06:08 PM

This is the kind of response that shows how really F'd up this world has become :cry:

Damn man, imo, ur looking at this way to strong, its not like anyone got killed. Everyone who had anything to do with the fight, will (or should) be punished.

hurleyfan
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM

Damn man, imo, ur looking at this way to strong, its not like anyone got killed. Everyone who had anything to do with the fight, will (or should) be punished.

Sorry Charles, but IMO , I thnk you're taking it too lightly.

I think we're all lucky no one got killed! Stomping on guys? That's manly :crazy:

Lots of "kids" see this kind of crap and think it's the way difference's are supposed to be settled.

ahaha
10-17-2006, 07:07 PM

Humans have always been entertained by violence. You can't get down on Woodson for enjoying it. Personally, I'm entertained by watching a bunch of idiot wanna be thugs scrapping it up. Nobody even came close to getting severly injured. If they had, it would have been a tragedy. And just because some of us think it was funny doesn't mean we condone that kind of behavior. I believe in harsh penalties for participating in an on-field brawl, but it was still entertaining. Of course, it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the bench clearing fights I've seen in baseball.

Charles Woodson
10-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Humans have always been entertained by violence. You can't get down on Woodson for enjoying it. Personally, I'm entertained by watching a bunch of idiot wanna be thugs scrapping it up. Nobody even came close to getting severly injured. If they had, it would have been a tragedy. And just because some of us think it was funny doesn't mean we condone that kind of behavior. I believe in harsh penalties for participating in an on-field brawl, but it was still entertaining. Of course, it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the bench clearing fights I've seen in baseball.

THANKYOU

Nuff said

Charles Woodson
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM

I think we're all lucky no one got killed! Stomping on guys? That's manly Crazy

Lots of "kids" see this kind of crap and think it's the way difference's are supposed to be settled.

Well its one thing for kids to see different things, but if i doubt that one brawl will make them wana grow up and shoot each other if they have a difference.

hurleyfan
10-17-2006, 08:03 PM

Well its one thing for kids to see different things, but if i doubt that one brawl will make them wana grow up and shoot each other if they have a difference.

This is the last time I'll respond to this post as it sounds as I am in the minority, but in my opinion, this is the kind of shit that kids DO see, and think that is how they are supposed to settle problems...its the way society has evolved, as sad as that is.

Got to defend my .... I got your back .... Not in my house ....

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Hurleyfan,

I'm with you on this one. Not something that I viewed as enjoyable. A bench clearing brawl with players kicking defenseless players that were on the ground? Not funny and not a good example.

billy_oliver880
10-17-2006, 09:46 PM

If this is indeed the case then why to young kids resort to beating on each other when things go wrong?? Perhaps its not as drastic as shooting but somehow some way their first reaction is to start swinging.

chewy-bacca
10-18-2006, 08:53 AM
College Football Game Marred By Unbelievably Cool Brawl

MIAMI--A vicious sideline-clearing brawl broke out in the third quarter of a game between Florida-International and the Miami Hurricanes Saturday, resulting in the suspension of 31 players. The thrilling, heart-stopping melee featured beatings, stompings, helmet-swinging, and even the use of a crutch as a weapon, marring an otherwise lame 35-0 rout by the Hurricanes.

Fans in attendance were shocked and entertained by the violent carnage.

“I’ve never seen anything like that before,” said 19-year-old FIU sophomore Jenn Ferrell. “I think it all started when one of our guys tackled Miami’s holder after an extra point. Then it just snowballed. I saw one player bludgeoning another player with a helmet, and I saw three Miami guys stomping on one of our guys while he was on the ground. Oh my God it was so awesome. It was kind of like what a baseball fight would be like, if baseball was played by guys who should be in jail.”

‘Canes fan in attendance were also stunned by the display of hatred and brutality.

“Holy shit. I can’t believe what I just saw,” said Miami junior Derrick Jentz, 20. “It was total chaos. People were actually trying to hurt each other, and in some cases, kill each other. This is a black eye for college football. It's also the single greatest game I’ve ever attended in my life. Whenever the term ‘black eye for college football’ is applied, that usually means something awesome happened.”

Prior to the fight, the game was filled with pushing and shoving, but nothing good until Miami’s James Bryant scored a third quarter touchdown and bowed to the FIU crowd, earning a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. On the ensuing point after attempt, an FIU player delivered a cheap shot against Miami holder Matt Perrelli. Soon after, the brawl was underway.

Hurricane players blamed Florida International for the fight.

“Hey, we were just defending ourselves,” said quarterback Kyle Wright. “They’re the ones that started it. They were trash talking us the whole game, then they made that cheap shot on Perrelli. We were shocked. A cheap shot? Who do they think they are, us? We will deliver the cheap shots and we will do the trash talking, and we will do the stomping on people. We had to send that message to FIU. Now we’ve got our swagger back, which will serve us well in the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl.”

After the fight, both coaches apologized for their players’ actions. Miami coach Larry Coker called the incident “disgraceful” and promptly suspended eight players who were involved in the fracas.

“There’s no excuse for that kind of thing,” said Coker. “I don’t care who started it. All I know is that it should never have been taken that far. There was one guy out there beating people with a crutch. That’s just sick. I mean, I suppose it was cool in a visceral, adrenaline pumping sort of way, but it’s still bad for the game. Everybody knows fans don't like violence and bloodshed. That kind of thing just drives them away.”

Florida International suspended 18 players after the fight. A tiny school from the Sun Belt Conference, FIU felt a game against the Hurricanes, their South Florida neighbors, would help create a friendly rivalry. Now they’re having second thought about ever playing the Hurricanes again.

“This was supposed to be a friendly rivalry between two teams in the same region,” said coach Don Strock. “Nobody had any idea it would turn out like this. We’re not even in the same league as those guys. They recruit players from all over the country, while we recruit players from our own campus. Of course, both teams are to blame for this fiasco. We just didn’t expect Miami to be such assholes. Did you see that guy bowing to the crowd after the touchdown? Dude, we’re like a high school team. Get a clue. That would be like someone from Ohio State taking a bow after scoring a touchdown against the Hurricanes.”

I love the Brushback! :lol: