PDA

View Full Version : Nate Clements on trade block

red
10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
we're pretty thin at cb right now, even with blackmon coming back

from pft.com

CLEMENTS ON THE BLOCK

Glazer also reports that players on the trading block include Bills cornerback Nate Clements, Jets running back Derrick Blaylock, Rams defensive end Anthony Hargove, and Cardinals offensive lineman Leonard Davis.

Glazer reports that the Cardinals are looking for "a pick or a player," and one G.M. got the impression that the Cardinals are simply trying to unload him.

Brando19
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone know anything about the Cardinals O-Linemen Davis? Is he worth getting?

Lurker64
10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Anyone know anything about the Cardinals O-Linemen Davis? Is he worth getting?

Well, if you look at the Cardinals O-Line over the past few years, and you consider that Arizona is apparently actively trying to get rid of him, that says a lot.

HarveyWallbangers
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Davis isn't bad, but he's huge. I believe he runs close to 370 pounds. Not really a good fit for the zone blocking scheme. I like our OTs more.

Tony Oday
10-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Id take clements

digitaldean
10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Id take clements

Yes, about Clements. He'd be a help for our secondary.

Davis from AZ currently has a $9 million/year salary. Even at 370, that's a pretty large cost per pound!

ND72
10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
If Sherman were here, Davis would be a perfect fit at Tackle or Guard...but not in a zone blocking scheme. He's too large. He's also too "slow"...he's not real quick, which you need in a zone scheme.

Clements....if there was a way, YES.

GoPack06
10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
I think Clements is gonna be a free agent at years end. So if we were to trade for him, we better be ready to lock him up. He's a pretty solid CB.

MadtownPacker
10-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Get him!

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Who else needs a CB? Who's the competition to get him? I know NE...

FritzDontBlitz
10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
i'm down with nate, too.

FritzDontBlitz
10-16-2006, 09:41 AM
just thought i'd post this, its from the official nate clements website:

http://www.nateclements.com/ssp/bio/

dude looks a lo like busta rhymes, don't he?

KYPack
10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Nate's a solid player.

The only problem is you only get 1 or 2 high ticket FA's. Do we wanna make our two Woodson and Clements?

Two aging CB's?

Zool
10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Nate's a solid player.

The only problem is you only get 1 or 2 high ticket FA's. Do we wanna make our two Woodson and Clements?

Two aging CB's?Drafted in 2001 is hardly aging. Woodsons cap # after this season is relatively small for the remainder of the contract. Harris might be gone by the end of the year. Clements seems like a good idea. Giving up a 1st this season might be too much. We might be drafting top 5.

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
He's listed as born in 1979 which would make him 27 this year.

cheese_man
10-16-2006, 10:32 AM
nate is young and much better than al boot and we could trade him for a second round pick.

nate= shutdown and superbowl

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. What type of coverage do the Bills use?

Zool
10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. What type of coverage do the Bills use?I think he's actually on his 3rd DC now. Jaruon played a tight man coverage in Chicago if I remember correctly.

KYPack
10-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Nate's a solid player.

Two aging CB's?Drafted in 2001 is hardly aging. Woodsons cap # after this season is relatively small for the remainder of the contract. Harris might be gone by the end of the year. Clements seems like a good idea. Giving up a 1st this season might be too much. We might be drafting top 5.

Hokay, Zool.

I thought Nate was older.

Still, which corner do you keep and do you want all that $ at esentially one position?

Clements is a good corner. With his cover skills, he could plug into any scheme quite readily.

No way do you give a 1 for him. We are definitely on a top 5 pace this season.

FritzDontBlitz
10-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Nate's a solid player.

Hokay, Zool.

Still, which corner do you keep and do you want all that $ at esentially one position?

Clements is a good corner. With his cover skills, he could plug into any scheme quite readily.

it really bothers me when guys start looking at the team's draft position before the midseason point. at least wait until then before you start writing off the entire season, there are still 11 games left.

having said that, i think clements would be a good pickup. he's a hardnosed player with good cover skills and he's not afraid to tackle. he also comes from a team known for playing great defense. he would make a great 3rd corner that could possibly challenge for either starting spot, and at the very least he would push woodson and harris to play better. the defensive backfield needs depth and experience above all else, and it wouldn't hurt to have another established vet for the rookies to learn from.

even if tt gave up a 1st to get clements, if clements is healthy i don't see any downside at all to signing him....

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Clements would likely start over Harris and Woodson. I don't know how's he doing this year. Last year, scouts were somewhat mixed on him, but generally he's been regarded as an upper echelon corner that is still in his prime--unlike Woodson and possibly Harris. Thompson won't trade for Clements, but I'd be all for him signing Clements in the offseason and trading or cutting either Harris or Woodson. I doubt they'd have all three on the roster--with the ego management that would need to take place.

Bretsky
10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Agree; I think Clements is one of the best in the game right now.

B

Tyrone Bigguns
10-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Nate's a solid player.

Hokay, Zool.

it really bothers me when guys start looking at the team's draft position before the midseason point. at least wait until then before you start writing off the entire season, there are still 11 games left.

having said that, i think clements would be a good pickup. he's a hardnosed player with good cover skills and he's not afraid to tackle. he also comes from a team known for playing great defense. he would make a great 3rd corner that could possibly challenge for either starting spot, and at the very least he would push woodson and harris to play better. the defensive backfield needs depth and experience above all else, and it wouldn't hurt to have another established vet for the rookies to learn from.

even if tt gave up a 1st to get clements, if clements is healthy i don't see any downside at all to signing him....

To bad it bothers you, Candide.

Anyone with an unbiased, real football acumen knew this season was over before it began. Whether you are GB or anyone else, you don't win in the NFL with a rookie coach, 26 or so rookie/young players, rebuilt Oline, new blocking scheme, 2 new players in the defensive backfield, etc.

I watch the Pack to see improvement. If I see that then I'm happy. This team will be lucky to win 6 games. I would hope/expect them to be competitive next year, 6-9 wins, and hopefully the year after be in playoff contention. That is how you rebuild a team.

We certainly should be talking about what type of first round we mite give up for Clements.

FritzDontBlitz
10-16-2006, 06:44 PM
i disagree. you might not go to the playoffs, but you can still finish middle of the pack.

most of the people who are talking draft position already are pretty much the same ones who were doing it after the first game.

i guess i'm still from the mentality that you don't start preparing for next season until the current season is over - meaning, until you're mathematically eliminated you keep playing to win. once you're out of it officially, then yeah start looking at where you'll be for next year.

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I have one more question: why is he available?

Bretsky
10-16-2006, 07:28 PM
I have one more question: why is he available?

Some of the teams that are doing lousy are going to try to unload salary. In this case, the CB will be a free agent after this year. If Buffalo unloads him they are playing the Brewers. Get something for a guy because in all probability they won't be able to resign him after the season.

HIDDEN MESSAGE: If you trade for him you have to be willing to dole out major $$$ and/or franchise him at season's end to keep him

B

Lurker64
10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Since we don't have really realistic playoff aspirations for this year, trading draft picks for a guy who could probably had cheaper once the season is over doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Teams that trade in the middle of the season tend to want to overcharge as they see themselves as potentially holding hostage a team with realistic playoff aspirations who suffers a key injury.

Let someone like Philadelphia overpay for Clements or get him at the end of the year if we really need him.