PDA

View Full Version : Who else wanted to be a barefoot kicker?

Chester Marcol
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Stumbled across this story one espn.com and it brought back a childhood memory I long forgot about. Kicking the football around in my yard barefoot in the cold wanting to be the next barefoot kicker.

Where did all the barefoot kickers go? (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/061016&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)

Rastak
10-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Stumbled across this story one espn.com and it brought back a childhood memory I long forgot about. Kicking the football around in my yard barefoot in the cold wanting to be the next barefoot kicker.

Where did all the barefoot kickers go? (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/061016&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)

Hey Chester, I'm not sure how old I was maybe 10 or so and I got this brilliant idea that I could be a barefoot kicker...so I had this hard plastic football sitting out in the yard on a cold fall day....I take off my shoe and sock and line up a field goal to kick over the swingset, a game my brother and I played often. I run up and kick it as hard as I could....and thought for sure I would fucking die. My whole foot turned bright red, I thought for sure I broke it. The ball travels about 10 yards and I'm rolling on the ground in total agony....I mean that REALLY REALLY hurt. About 10 minutes later all teary eyed I can finally get up off the ground....needless to say I will NEVER EVER EVER try that again.

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I tried it, as well, but I can't say I ever tried kicking in the cold. It sounded like a good idea in the summer.

Rastak
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
I tried it, as well, but I can't say I ever tried kicking in the cold. It sounded like a good idea in the summer.

It would appear you had more brains than me.....cold hard plastic football.
I didn't factor any of that in.....LOL......

Freak Out
10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I always wanted to be the next Tom Landry so I kicked with one old leather ski boot on. Strait at it baby!

Chester Marcol
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Rastak, sounds very similar to my game, except it was a garage that acted as my goal posts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a good idea at the time. I know the article touched on it, but really, other than the novelty, what made people think this was a good idea? Better feel? Yeah, they call that feel pain.

KYPack
10-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I always wanted to be the next Tom Landry so I kicked with one old leather ski boot on. Strait at it baby!

That's Tom DEMPSEY, there Freak.

If you wanted to emulate Tom Landry, you would have kicked with a fedora hat on yer foot, or something like that.

Little Whiskey
10-17-2006, 11:29 AM

If you wanted to emulate Tom Landry, you would have kicked with a fedora hat on yer foot, or something like that.

i took one of my dad's x-country ski shoes (had a flat toe) and used that for my kick off and field goal shoe. except we used the row of hedges that separated our yard from the neighbors. he would get pissed as the ball would come sailing on to his front porch.

Freak Out
10-17-2006, 11:41 AM

i took one of my dad's x-country ski shoes (had a flat toe) and used that for my kick off and field goal shoe. except we used the row of hedges that separated our yard from the neighbors. he would get pissed as the ball would come sailing on to his front porch.

The old Saint DEMPSEY, why did I say Landry? Speaking of Landry.....are there any coaches that dress like a business professional anymore? Was he the last? I miss that.

Partial
10-17-2006, 12:42 PM
I actually have tried this a bunch. If you kick closer to the ankle it doesn't hurt too bad.

But, I have felt this agonizing pain that ras describes as well! Ouch!

KYPack
10-17-2006, 09:01 PM

The old Saint DEMPSEY, why did I say Landry? Speaking of Landry.....are there any coaches that dress like a business professional anymore? Was he the last? I miss that.

You can't wear a suit anymore, against NFL rules.

Paul Brown started the whole business suit thing. All the other coaches copied him and most NFL coaches dressed like bank presidents. Vince, Landry, even Halas wore business suits.

Then those guys retired, died, etc and the new wave of coaches wore athletic type gear.

When Mike Nolan was named coach of the 49er's, he announced his intention to wear a business suit as a tribute to his father Dick, also a former 9er Head coach.

The league told him no, he had to wear the league approved athletic gear. Merchandising contracts and all, ya know.

He was pissed, but the league held their ground.

billy_oliver880
10-17-2006, 10:14 PM
So they have to wear something with league logos? I think the business suits look more professional.

KYPack
10-18-2006, 08:02 AM
So they have to wear something with league logos? I think the business suits look more professional.

They want 'em wearing the NFL gear.

One coach seems to violate that rule with thrift store hoodies... Bill Belichick.

MJZiggy
10-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Are you kidding? The NFL designed the new hoodies around his and now I have to watch "ode to the NFL hoodie" every 30 seconds of every game. I actually kinda wanted one but I've seen that commercial so many times, I feel like I already have one and no longer feel the need. :cool:

KYPack
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Are you kidding? The NFL designed the new hoodies around his and now I have to watch "ode to the NFL hoodie" every 30 seconds of every game. I actually kinda wanted one but I've seen that commercial so many times, I feel like I already have one and no longer feel the need. :cool:

Wow Zig.

I shit thee not, I have NEVER seen that one.

I get so nervous during games, I get beers and eat stuff during the commercials. During the Super Bowl, I wait for people to start yelling at the commercials before I watch 'em. I did see all the "Go Daddy" one a few years ago.

Freak Out
10-18-2006, 11:42 AM

You can't wear a suit anymore, against NFL rules.

Paul Brown started the whole business suit thing. All the other coaches copied him and most NFL coaches dressed like bank presidents. Vince, Landry, even Halas wore business suits.

Then those guys retired, died, etc and the new wave of coaches wore athletic type gear.

When Mike Nolan was named coach of the 49er's, he announced his intention to wear a business suit as a tribute to his father Dick, also a former 9er Head coach.

The league told him no, he had to wear the league approved athletic gear. Merchandising contracts and all, ya know.

He was pissed, but the league held their ground.

What a load of shit! I think there needs to be some kind of dress code but no business atire? WTF it's not like a well trained tailor is making the NFL logo stuff and it looks like shit.