PDA

View Full Version : Jon Ryan

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Ryan returns to practice after visiting sick father
By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Jon Ryan's ailing father turned down the doctors' main treatment option, and now football is acting as a sort of medicine for the Packers' rookie punter and his family.

Ryan returned to practice with Green Bay on Monday after spending nearly a week in his native Canada with his father, Bob, who has been diagnosed with cancerous tumors in his abdomen and lungs.

Although Ryan's father now has considerable trouble getting around, he and the family were able to watch Ryan's brother, Steve, play defensive back for the University of Regina in Saskatchewan on Saturday.

"It was, quite honestly, one of the greatest days of my life," Jon Ryan said. "To be able to sit there with my whole family and him and watch my brother play -- and they were playing the third-ranked team and they won on the last play of the game by a point. And it was just really an unbelievable day and just really was great to be able to be home and see him again."

Ryan said his father was a Packers fan even before Ryan signed with Green Bay in the offseason after setting a punting record in the Canadian Football League. Bob Ryan was able to attend a preseason game at Lambeau Field in August.

"He said he kind of had a tear in his eye when he walked out into the stands there," Ryan said. "So it was great that he was able to watch one of those games."

And while things aren't particularly easy for his family right now, Ryan said they all, along with his father, encouraged him to return to Green Bay and keep playing.

"He tells me how proud he is of me," Ryan said. "And lately, sometimes when times have been tough it's been a bit of an escape to watch me play football and watch my brother play football. So football's kind of a medicine for my family right now, so I feel like I'm making him proud right now."

But Ryan acknowledged he's having a hard time focusing on football.

"All my strength and all my focus is to get there and get my head into it," Ryan said. "Usually, once I get on the field and start getting ready for the game it's, I don't think about cancer or death or anything like that. I just let all those thoughts come in after the game. Because it's a high-stress job, so you've got to kind of keep your head in it as best you can."

Going into their bye weekend, the Packers excused Ryan from practice last week to give him a full week with his family. Special teams coordinator Mike Stock said it was important to give Ryan some space.

"He's known about it for some time, it's just we haven't known about it for some time," Stock said. "He doesn't want to talk about it, and I understand that, so we give him his privacy, give him his space."

Doctors discovered Bob Ryan's cancer almost by accident after he tripped on some stairs and hurt his leg, tearing a piece of his hip flexor away from the bone.

He was trying to rehabilitate the injury, but it wasn't getting any better. Doctors diagnosed a tumor in his groin area about two months ago, and more recently found it had spread to his other hip and lungs.

Ryan said doctors offered his father the option of amputating his body from the waist down, waiting for that to heal, and then treating the cancer in his lungs.

"He said that, you know, cutting off half his body just wasn't any way to live. He said he wanted to live, not survive," Ryan said. "So we took him home, and he's just trying to make the best of the time that he's got left."

Bob Ryan, 53, went to school to be a psychologist and has spent more than 30 years working for the Ranch Ehrlo Society in Saskatchewan, a nonprofit group that works with at-risk children.

He planned to work at least another 10 years.

"He's now the vice president and he was going to move up to be the president of this nonprofit organization in a year or two's time," Ryan said. "So he's given back to the community tenfold from what the average person has. So he's lived a full life."

Ryan said he had a hard time saying goodbye to his father and flying back to Green Bay on Saturday night because he doesn't have any way of knowing if he is saying goodbye for good.

"It was very difficult because they don't know how much time he has left," Ryan said. "It could be a couple weeks, it could be possibly a year or two. It's kind of like goodbye."

SD GB fan
10-16-2006, 10:51 PM
my prayers go out to them

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Where's Woody been? I wish Jon and his family the best. More from JSO:

Tearful good-bye: Punter Jon Ryan was back at practice Monday after he spent the last week with his ailing father at home in Regina, Saskatchewan.

Bob Ryan, 53, was diagnosed with cancerous tumors in his abdomen and lungs about two months ago. He turned down a treatment option calling for amputation of his body from the waist down.

Jon Ryan flew to Regina Oct. 8 after the St. Louis game and returned to Green Bay Saturday night.

"It was very difficult because they don't know how much time he has left," Ryan told the Associated Press Monday. "It could be a couple weeks, it could be possibly a year or two. It's kind of like goodbye."

Earlier Saturday, the Ryan family watched Jon's brother, Steve, play defensive back in a game for the University of Regina.

Bob Ryan was in Green Bay for an exhibition game in August.

"He tells me how proud he is of me," Jon Ryan said. "And lately, sometimes when times have been tough, it's been a bit of an escape to watch me play football and watch my brother play football. So football's kind of a medicine for my family right now, so I feel like I'm making him proud right now."
Mike Stock, the team’s special-teams coach, was asked how his players in the past have fared on the field during times of personal trauma.

"I think they perform well," Stock said. "They’re able to compartmentalize everything. He knows when he’s here he’s got a job to do. He’s got a responsibility to himself, to his teammates and to the profession. There’s no excuse for not being able to do that."

Jon Ryan, whose punting was erratic Monday, admitted that he was having a hard time focusing on football.

"Usually, once I get on the field and start getting ready for the game, I don't think about cancer or anything like that," he said. "I just let all those thoughts come in after the game. Because it's a high-stress job, so you've got to kind of keep your head in it as best you can."

MJZiggy
10-17-2006, 07:34 AM
I can't imagine having that surgery. My heart goes out to them. I think it's wonderful that Mr. Ryan has made it a point to stress to his boys that he is proud of them. I can't imagine how I'd function...

KYPack
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Whoa!

How'd you like to have that choice, eh?

I don't know who I feel sorrier for, the father or the son.

Need to light a candle for the Ryan's.