PDA

View Full Version : Fergie could be out for season

BF4MVP
10-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Has this been posted yet? If it has, sorry.

Ferguson could miss rest of season
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 16, 2006
Green Bay - Wide receiver Robert Ferguson has been diagnosed with a dreaded Lisfranc injury to his right foot and conceivably could miss the rest of the season.

Ferguson got the news Monday from Patrick McKenzie, the Green Bay Packers' team physician and an orthopedic surgeon.

"I found out today that's what it is. Lisfranc," Ferguson said as he stood on crutches near his locker. "I don't even know the history of it. I haven't got that far yet."

Ferguson has been sidelined since suffering damage to his right foot as he returned a kickoff Oct. 2 in Philadelphia.

Besides Ferguson, the Packers have four wide receivers on the roster. But with Koren Robinson facing possible National Football League suspension for off-the-field conduct, the team might place Ferguson on injured reserve and add another player at the position.

Lisfranc injuries, which are so-named after Napoleon Bonaparte's surgeon, have been rare in Green Bay over the years. However, indications are that defensive tackle Kenderick Allen also suffered a Lisfranc injury to his right foot Sept. 24 against Detroit.

Allen, who remained on crutches last week, went on injured reserve Oct. 4.

With 26 bones in the human foot, damage can be hard to determine and correct. The Lisfranc joint, where the metatarsal bones attach to the rest of the foot, is a complicated joint involving numerous bones.

Physicians often differentiate Lisfranc injuries as sprains, fractures or dislocations. The severity or description of Ferguson's injury isn't known. But injuries in the Lisfranc joint are often subtle and difficult to assess.

The metatarsal bones tend to move as a unit. When they do, it can create tears in multiple ligaments across a wider area of the foot. Such injuries can drag on and on. Sometimes they require surgery but then might never heal perfectly, especially if not addressed early.

Allen, who informed his agent that he had a broken foot, hasn't had surgery. It remains to be seen if surgery is in Ferguson's future.

Lisfranc injuries can be hard to realign perfectly and also can result in arthritis, further complicating recovery.

For Ferguson, whose last three seasons were shortened by injury, it's another debilitating blow to a player whose career began as a second-round draft choice.

"Rehabbing . . . it's the story of my life," Ferguson said. "At least in Green Bay."

Asked how the injury can be treated, he replied, "Rest, from what I understand. Stay off of it."

On Monday, offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said he had never even heard of a Lisfranc injury. But Jagodzinski should consider himself fortunate for not having coached for a team with a player afflicted by the injury.

Errict Rhett, a running back for the Cleveland Browns, suffered a Lisfranc injury in October 2000 and never played in another regular-season game.

Duce Staley, a running back for Philadelphia, underwent surgery in October 2001 for a Lisfranc fracture but battled back to rush for 1,029 yards in '02.

The Eagles have had an amazing run of Lisfranc injuries. Tight end Chad Lewis had surgery in January 2005 but returned 10 months later. Safety Brian Dawkins returned after missing nine games early in 2003 with a Lisfranc sprain. Running back Brian Westbrook sat out the last four games in 2005 with what the club said was a Lisfranc sprain.

Mike Rosenthal, the starting right tackle for Minnesota, underwent surgery to repair a Lisfranc fracture and dislocation suffered in Week 2 of 2004. He came back to play 16 games in '05.

Former New England cornerback Ty Law underwent surgery for Lisfranc damage in late 2004 but made it back to start all of '05 for the New York Jets.

Packers tackle Mark Tauscher received a scare in training camp when his foot injury initially was thought to be a "Lisfranc."

"But it was one day and it got better," Tauscher said. "That’s a serious deal. That’s a bad one to get."

Donald Driver, Ferguson’s teammate for six years, feels for his friend.

"I’m hoping he can come back from this," Driver said. "I know the type of person he is and he’s not going to let himself get down. This is not something you would wish on anyone but it happens."

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Crazy! When KoRo gets suspended, Ruvell Martin will be our #3 receiver and Taco Wallace will be our #4 receiver.
:D

BF4MVP
10-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Crazy! When KoRo gets suspended, Ruvell Martin will be our #3 receiver and Taco Wallace will be our #4 receiver.
:D
Taco Wallace :lol: :lol: :lol:

Better sign him quick! :D

MadtownPacker
10-17-2006, 01:29 AM
So is this good news or bad news?

KYPack
10-17-2006, 07:36 AM
I can only vaguely rfemember my time as a Ferg supporter.

When it was rumored earlier that Ferg was out for an extended time, I crabbily posted "good" as a response. It is low class to "cheer" an injury, but i really do hate RF and his whole act. he has been SUCH a waste for us. And you can count on him to get hurt/let us down at critical times.

It is time to end the endless Fergy era.

Who will be the last Sherman acquisition to leave the building?

gbpackfan
10-17-2006, 07:38 AM
The question here is this? Will TT put Fergie on IR now and sign a WR so we get him up to speed so he can help when K Rob gets suspended. Or, will TT drag his feet and wait until the last minute, leaving the Pack extremly thin at WR. I fear another Blackmon mistake is on the horizon.

Patler
10-17-2006, 07:41 AM
The question here is this? Will TT put Fergie on IR now and sign a WR so we get him up to speed so he can help when K Rob gets suspended. Or, will TT drag his feet and wait until the last minute, leaving the Pack extremly thin at WR. I fear another Blackmon mistake is on the horizon.

How was Blackmon a "mistake"?

MJZiggy
10-17-2006, 07:44 AM
I think he was referring to not putting Blackmon on the PUP list.

Patler
10-17-2006, 08:20 AM

I know, but not putting Blackmon on the PUP list was a "mistake" only if you give credibility to an absurd hindsight analysis by one of the Packer beat writers (I've forgotten which one). That article completely ignored the facts that existed at the start of the season.

Blackmon would have had to go on the PUP list as part of the final roster cut down. However, what everyone now conveniently forgets in their zeal to criticize Thompson is that Blackmon was cleared for practice as of then. Blackmon actually began practicing on September 4:

"...Blackmon, one of the Packers' fourth-round picks, joined the other two in practicing for the first time Monday. Blackmon missed all of training camp with a broken foot and began his comeback by taking part in individual drills." (MJSO,9/5/06)

Why would TT put a player on PUP who has already been cleared to practice? Why waste six weeks?

Ten days later he was only listed as "questionable" for the Saints game, and was considered "day-to-day":

" In addition to Spitz and Henderson, the Packers listed tackle Junius Coston (knee) as out and cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) as questionable for Sunday. Blackmon didn't practice Wednesday after suffering a setback with his foot, according to McCarthy, and his status is considered day-to-day." (MJSO,9/13/06)

The plain and simple fact is that at the beginning of the season, when the decision on Blackmon was made, he was cleared for practice, did practice and seemed to be ready to get going. The setback in his recovery occured after the roster decisions had to be made. There was no mistake regarding Blackmon.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 08:27 AM

I know, but not putting Blackmon on the PUP list was a "mistake" only if you give credibility to an absurd hindsight analysis by one of the Packer beat writers (I've forgotten which one). That article completely ignored the facts that existed at the start of the season.

Blackmon would have had to go on the PUP list as part of the final roster cut down. However, what everyone now conveniently forgets in their zeal to criticize Thompson is that Blackmon was cleared for practice as of then. Blackmon actually began practicing on September 4:

"...Blackmon, one of the Packers' fourth-round picks, joined the other two in practicing for the first time Monday. Blackmon missed all of training camp with a broken foot and began his comeback by taking part in individual drills." (MJSO,9/5/06)

Why would TT put a player on PUP who has already been cleared to practice? Why waste six weeks?

Ten days later he was only listed as "questionable" for the Saints game, and was considered "day-to-day":

" In addition to Spitz and Henderson, the Packers listed tackle Junius Coston (knee) as out and cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) as questionable for Sunday. Blackmon didn't practice Wednesday after suffering a setback with his foot, according to McCarthy, and his status is considered day-to-day." (MJSO,9/13/06)

The plain and simple fact is that at the beginning of the season, when the decision on Blackmon was made, he was cleared for practice, did practice and seemed to be ready to get going. The setback in his recovery occured after the roster decisions had to be made. There was no mistake regarding Blackmon.

I don't completely disagree with you Patler, but a broken foot is extremely prone to reinjury so I was surprised he didn't put him on PUP when the season started. I'm being honest here, I really did, at the time, think that was the best move. Now I also wouldn;t call it necessarily a mistake either, it didn't really hurt the team much. So it's while it's something we can debate it isn't much of an issue.

KYPack
10-17-2006, 08:29 AM
There is a problem with Blackmon.

He's being looked upon as a back-up WR
A Nickleback
A Back-up CB
And a punt returner.

This from a rook who hasn't played a down in the NFL.

There is only one of these guys, right?

Patler
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't completely disagree with you Patler, but a broken foot is extremely prone to reinjury so I was surprised he didn't put him on PUP when the season started. I'm being honest here, I really did, at the time, think that was the best move. Now I also wouldn;t call it necessarily a mistake either, it didn't really hurt the team much. So it's while it's something we can debate it isn't much of an issue.

There is even a question whether or not Blackmon was elligible for the PUP list. To be put on the PUP list the player has to be "unable to perform". Blackmon was cleared to practice at that time, thus was not "unable to perform". Several years ago the league scrutinized the PUP lists, even calling for independent medical evaluations of some players. As I recall, one of the Packers was looked at, but it was determined that he could not yet practice. Teams were using the PUP list as a way to stockpile replacements for injured players later in the season.

Blackmon had already been out for something like four months. I believe he was injured at the first camp after the draft. The medical staff cleared him to practice after he had run some drills for them etc. but not actually practiced during training camp. Only in hindsight would a GM say he would put a player on PUP who has been cleared to practice by the medical staff.

The problem with the PUP list for Blackmon is that he would not have been allowed to participate in anything for six weeks. Even if he was not ready to play or practice full time at the start of the season, being on the 53 man roster he would be allowed to do whatever he was able to do. Had he been put on PUP, he couldn't have even given it the try he did in early September.

At the time, GB didn't need the roster spot. They were fairly healthy. I assume they figured Blackmon might take a couple weeks, but by the third game or so would be ready to contribute. Until then he would simply be one of the game day inactives.

If PUP is six weeks, he would have been elligible now. If it is six games, he would still be out another week.

Still doesn't look like any kind of mistake to me.

Patler
10-17-2006, 08:53 AM
There is a problem with Blackmon.

He's being looked upon as a back-up WR
A Nickleback
A Back-up CB
And a punt returner.

This from a rook who hasn't played a down in the NFL.

There is only one of these guys, right?

Oh great! Now he will demand that his contract be redone before he steps onto the field this season! Clearly he was not expecting to be all those things when he signed the original contract! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rastak
10-17-2006, 09:04 AM

There is even a question whether or not Blackmon was elligible for the PUP list. To be put on the PUP list the player has to be "unable to perform". Blackmon was cleared to practice at that time, thus was not "unable to perform". Several years ago the league scrutinized the PUP lists, even calling for independent medical evaluations of some players. As I recall, one of the Packers was looked at, but it was determined that he could not yet practice. Teams were using the PUP list as a way to stockpile replacements for injured players later in the season.

Blackmon had already been out for something like four months. I believe he was injured at the first camp after the draft. The medical staff cleared him to practice after he had run some drills for them etc. but not actually practiced during training camp. Only in hindsight would a GM say he would put a player on PUP who has been cleared to practice by the medical staff.

The problem with the PUP list for Blackmon is that he would not have been allowed to participate in anything for six weeks. Even if he was not ready to play or practice full time at the start of the season, being on the 53 man roster he would be allowed to do whatever he was able to do. Had he been put on PUP, he couldn't have even given it the try he did in early September.

At the time, GB didn't need the roster spot. They were fairly healthy. I assume they figured Blackmon might take a couple weeks, but by the third game or so would be ready to contribute. Until then he would simply be one of the game day inactives.

If PUP is six weeks, he would have been elligible now. If it is six games, he would still be out another week.

Still doesn't look like any kind of mistake to me.

And that's kind of my point Patler, he shouldn't have been practicing. A broken foot can turn into a year out very easily. I wouldn't have been surprised if he went on IR. Also, I think they could have made a strong case to the league to put him on pup....anyway, moot point now.

Patler
10-17-2006, 09:20 AM
And that's kind of my point Patler, he shouldn't have been practicing. A broken foot can turn into a year out very easily. I wouldn't have been surprised if he went on IR. Also, I think they could have made a strong case to the league to put him on pup....anyway, moot point now.

Not to make a big deal of it, since he is practicing now anyway, but if a player has been out four months and the medical staff tells the GM that he is now healed and ready to start practicing, why would the GM put him on PUP or IR? Seems to me it is more up to the medical staff than the GM at that point.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 09:26 AM

Not to make a big deal of it, since he is practicing now anyway, but if a player has been out four months and the medical staff tells the GM that he is now healed and ready to start practicing, why would the GM put him on PUP or IR? Seems to me it is more up to the medical staff than the GM at that point.

Yea, it makes me question the medical staff competency since he did indeed have a setback. Not that I'm a doctor...hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But from what I've seen of these injuries, just in general a guy needs LOTS of rest, not practice.

Patler
10-17-2006, 09:28 AM

The Packers had a similar situation with Najeh Davenport when he came into the league. Some thought he would have to sit out his first year because of a broken foot. He healed fine before training camp and was ready to play with no setbacks.

If Blackmon had not been able to start practicing in September as he did, I might agree that the PUP list was the way to go. But, he was cleared to practice. Do you really expect TT to not let him practice when the medical staff says he can? Usually the pressure is the other way, with the teams trying to get players onto the field before the medical staff thinks they should.

Patler
10-17-2006, 09:33 AM
When Blackmon was first injured, they expected him to be ready for training camp. It sounded not real serious.

Patler
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Yea, it makes me question the medical staff competency since he did indeed have a setback. Not that I'm a doctor...hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But from what I've seen of these injuries, just in general a guy needs LOTS of rest, not practice.

That's an awfully high standard Rastak. The player has a setback of some sort, so the medical staff is incompetent? The human body is complex and often unpredictable.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 09:57 AM

That's an awfully high standard Rastak. The player has a setback of some sort, so the medical staff is incompetent? The human body is complex and often unpredictable.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I said, I'm not a doctor, my golf game never was good enough.....

Patler
10-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Take it with a grain of salt, as I said, I'm not a doctor, my golf game never was good enough.....

Ya, your handwriting is probably too legible, too! :mrgreen:

Rastak
10-17-2006, 10:04 AM

No, actually my hardwritting is so bad I almost got a scholarship to medical school.

Patler
10-17-2006, 10:11 AM

No, actually my hardwritting is so bad I almost got a scholarship to medical school.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparkey
10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I believe going on PUP also precludes you from taking part in any type of practice until those six weeks are up. That is just too much time for a guy that is already behind for missing most of training camp and was cleared by the medical staff to start to practice.