PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt on Thompson and the Greenbay Packers!!!

RashanGary
04-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Gil Brandt One of the most respected in the business breaks the Packers’ draft down.

With the National Football League’s draft rapidly approaching, it’s once again time to dive into draft speculation head first to try to figure out what the Green Bay Packers might do with the fifth overall. Who better to help sort out the mess than former Dallas Cowboys general manager Gil Brandt, who now is of the most respected draft gurus in the business. Brandt now covers the entire league on NFL.com. Recently, Brandt took some time to
analyze how Ted Thompson could go about his draft plan in Green Bay.

WSW: What are your thoughts on the way the Green Bay Packers have gone about its scouting process?

GB: (Ted Thompson) has been everywhere. I think he’s had himself three trips to Hawaii. He’s been at every pro day, every Senior Bowl and whatever seems to take place, he’s been there. Between (Thompson), John Dorsey and Mike McCarthy, I really think they have covered all the places where there are some good players and I think they’ll come up with very good players. They’ve covered players not only who will be drafted quickly, but the ones that will be first-day picks as well.

WSW: I know prognostication doesn’t always equal reality, but as you look into your crystal ball, what prospects do you feel could be available when Green Bay picks at No. 5?

GB: There are some good players in this draft. Quite honestly, I feel their
choice is either (A.J. Hawk or (Mario) Williams. One of those two should be
there at five. It’s a very interesting draft in the sense that nobody knows
where who could go where. Nobody’s even sure Reggie Bush is 100 percent going to Houston yet. Then you got the quarterbacks you have to mix in there and then you have D’Brickashaw Ferguson you have to mix in there, so it’s going to be very interesting a couple weeks from now.

WSW: Do you think the Packers would consider selecting a quarterback – say if Matt Leinart or Vince Young were available? The team drafted a quarterback last season.

GB: No, I don’t think they are. There are too many good players at other
positions to pass up.

WSW: How important is owning the fifth overall pick in this draft?

GB: Well again I think this is a very good draft. Let me put it this way, I
feel that if you’re drafting between 22 and 42 you’re going to have a good
player that will play for your team for a long time. If you’re picking before
22, you could be walking away with a player that could be the cornerstone
of your franchise. Usually the players near the top just perform better.

WSW: What are some of the deeper positions in the draft? What are the positions where if the Packers don’t go there the first time around,
they could revisit in a later round and still walk away with a quality
prospect?

GB: I think the two deepest areas in this draft are cornerback and linebacker. I think there will be good players available even in the middle
rounds at these positions. Teams will find as they draft later and later
that there will still be good players available.

WSW: The Packers have been very selective about how to go about free agency. Should draft preparation take precedence over pursuing athletes who already have some mileage on them? Or should there be a marriage between the two?

GB: Well, first of all, they are just over $19 million under the salary cap.
What’s taking place is too many people are way over-paying for free-agents.
Do you want to give $10 million in guaranteed money to player that may have already seen his best days? You can find good players that cost a little bit less money. Look at what the Patriots did a few years back. I think they signed like 19 lower-tier free agents going into the season they won the Super Bowl. It’s amazing how teams see things differently. There used to be teams and there still are teams that don’t believe being active in free agency. The Cowboys used to do it and so did the Redskins. But then there teams like Carolina that don’t mind paying huge signing bonuses. (Ted) is going to do well. He’s has a plan, he knows where he’s going and he knows how to get there. WSW

RashanGary
04-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Brandt seems to be pretty high on Thompson.

I think Brandt is one of the most respected and reliable draft outlets.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 07:33 AM
I do think Brandt is a good personnel man, so it's encouraging. Thanks for the article.

KYPack
04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Half my head feels that way, and then half of it is worried that TT is an incompetant GM.

He had a solid draft last year, but picked lousy FA's.

Why can't he do both. like our long lost Wolfman?

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Half my head feels that way, and then half of it is worried that TT is an incompetant GM.

I'm with ya.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2006, 09:42 AM

I'm with you too, but I gave him a free pass on the FA's last year because of the cap situation. That, and he managed to pluck Gado off KC's practice squad. And Gardner might work out ok.

This years strategy leaves me a little bewildered, but I keep thinking there must be more to the plan that hasn't been revealed yet. I'm willing to wait.

Partial
04-21-2006, 10:24 AM
My guess is the plan to pay for players once you have a good foundation in place. They realistically don't have a shot at SB contention until like 2008-2009 because they have no depth, but once they get respectable then they can add some players.

Pack0514
04-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Personally, I think building depth is what TT is doing. I think he is trying to do this by acquiring solid football players through mid level FA and through the draft. After this solid base is established, he can then go out and get a top-level free agent with the cap room he has saved over the years. I agree, the Packers arent near the Super Bowl and probably wont be for about 3 years. Just my opinion.

MadtownPacker
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Great article NC.

Like Partial said, you gotta have a strong foundation. No sense in installing marble floors if they are going to be layed on top of the dirt. TT is trying to build a strong core via the draft beacuse depth has just killed the team the last couple of seasons. I still think the current squad can get in the playoffs but the ultimate goal is the trophy and this is the right way to get it.

RashanGary
04-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't think he's ever going to go out and buy high priced FA's on the open market. He's going to draft multiple stars and sign them to long term contracts when the time is right. There is no reason to have to over pay for toher peoples good players if you draft your own.

Another thing to consider is those players who hit FA are there for a reason. Seattle coudln't have dreamed that Minn would do what they did but other than him the FA market was just a bunch of OK overpaid players. That is what Brandt said. That is what Thompson said and that is what I have been saying from day one. The only way to build a team is to draft your own stars and pay them fair salaries when the time comes.

jack's smirking revenge
04-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Part of me wants to lose patience with TT, but I thoroughly believe in building through the draft. Its the most cost-effective and efficient way of building SB teams in this era of FA. Thompson did have a hand in building a SB team in Seattle and he's going to prove whether or not he can do it again in GB.

Patience, young padawans....

tyler

Partial
04-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I think TT is doing a good job.

I don't want him to tie up a ton of cash now. If a star player is willing to accept a 2-3 year deal, awesome. Lock him up and pay em what they want.

The one thing I will criticize TT on is he is not even bringing in cheap players to compete. He should bring in 2-3 mil or less guards and let them fight it out for example.

Competition will only bring out the best of this team. No use in settling when we could make the team better by spending very little money (if they didn't make roster it'd be like 200,000 SB).

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I think TT is doing a good job.

I don't want him to tie up a ton of cash now. If a star player is willing to accept a 2-3 year deal, awesome. Lock him up and pay em what they want.

The one thing I will criticize TT on is he is not even bringing in cheap players to compete. He should bring in 2-3 mil or less guards and let them fight it out for example.

Competition will only bring out the best of this team. No use in settling when we could make the team better by spending very little money (if they didn't make roster it'd be like 200,000 SB).

You guys are being WAY too soft on TT. It's inexcusable for him to basically ingnore the OL. Yes, grow through the draft, but build through the draft and free agency. If ya want to target young guys, fine, but sitting the money does us no good. This was a deep group of LB's. No superstars, but several players were signed that could have helped Green Bay. The OL may have been weak for strong starters, but it would not have been hard to upgrade our current OL talent.

Stay strong; TT needs to shore it up and he has done little to do it so far.
At this pace it'll be 2010 if we are lucky before we have any chance.

Partial
04-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Bretsky,

I was saying he shouldn't sign superstars yet. He should bring in a lot of low-level/mid-level young guys and let them duke it out with the current Packers because it costs very little to do so and they would then field the best 52 guys.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Bretsky,

I was saying he shouldn't sign superstars yet. He should bring in a lot of low-level/mid-level young guys and let them duke it out with the current Packers because it costs very little to do so and they would then field the best 52 guys.

Wasn't really focusing on you, but the group in general. A few weeks back we were all very upset with TT for neglecting to use all of money on even the "mid Tier" level guys.

We still should be upset. Right now we are looking at the scraps.

Partial
04-21-2006, 06:47 PM
then he should bring in all the scraps he can since they're practically free anyway and hope to find a solid chunk of meat during camp.

mraynrand
04-21-2006, 07:27 PM
TT's history seems to be that he knows what he's doing in the draft. What was his role, if any, in pro personnel in Seattle?

I am on board for the concept that it's better to get rid oif a veteran a year early rather than a year late, but I think TT went a little overboard with that last year. I mean, he let three pro bowlers go (two earned 'bowl honors after they left).

Doesn't he now have to learn the GM ropes just like anyone else? It's not magic, but is there any guarantee and/or track record that convinces anyone he'll be any good long-term? I think, other than his drafting prowess, that it's a total crap shoot.

RashanGary
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Wahle was a pretty big mistake...I really wish we would have kept him. I consider him maybe the best zone gaurd in the league. We sure could use him right about now.

Partial
04-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Why would you consider him the best at something he isn't used at?

He was referred to as the prototypical guard in terms of measureables for this system.