PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Can Fassel

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
This is a very surprising move for a team to make during the season--especially one that is 4-2 and has a QB that is learning a new scheme. Now, if McCarthy would only do the same with Schottenheimer.
:D

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-ravenstopartway&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

ahaha
10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
This is stunning. They're supposed to be such great friends. If the Ravens can dump their offensive coordinator 6 weeks into the season, then why can't we dump a lowly secondary coach? There is hope.

Patler
10-17-2006, 12:46 PM
That is a very bold early-season move for a team at the top of their Division. Rarely do you see assistants axed early in the year at all, let alone for a playoff contender.

Bretsky
10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Makes you wonder if there were issues between McNair and Fassel.

McNair's play has been less than Stellar and BB may have found a place to put the blame.

B

ahaha
10-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Coordinators are falling like dominos today.

Cards' Green fires offensive coordinator

NFL.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. (Oct. 17, 2006) -- Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green fired offensive coordinator Keith Rowen and replaced him with quarterbacks coach Mike Kruczek.

The move came hours after the Cardinals blew a 20-point lead and lost to the Chicago Bears 24-23 on Monday Night Football.

"I've known Keith for a long time. I have the utmost respect for him," Green said. "We are not scoring enough points."

Kruczek becomes Green's third offensive coordinator in the coach's 2 1/2 seasons in Arizona.

Green said he was talking with Rowen about what other position he might take on the staff.

Kruczek has been quarterbacks coach since Green arrived.

"I think his close working relationship with Matt Leinart will give us a better chance," Green said.

MJZiggy
10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Logic would tell me that when you blow a 20 point lead, you fire the DEFENSIVE coordinator, but they did blow that lead off of turnovers didn't they.

Partial
10-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Logic would tell me that when you blow a 20 point lead, you fire the DEFENSIVE coordinator, but they did blow that lead off of turnovers didn't they.

two fumbles, and a punt return.

Patler
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM

The defense had nothing to be ashamed of, especially since they held the Bears to a field after the Bears had a first down at the 3 yard line in the third quarter. On the next two Bear possessions, the Cards D held them 3 downs and a punt both times. The two Bear possessions after that ended in interceptions.

Five possessions in the second half ended in two interceptions and just three points by the Bears. The Cardinal defense certainly played well enough to win.

As I wrote this, it just hit home. The Cardinal defense forced 6 turnovers, four interceptions and 2 fumbles. On six other possessions, the Cardinal defense held the Bears to no first downs. They dominated on 12 of the Bear possessions, and gave up only 3 points, but still lost the game. Amazing!

MJZiggy
10-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Patler, I was being facetious. Pointing to the irony of firing the OC over blowing a 20 point lead. I'm just not having a clear week. :?

Patler
10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Patler, I was being facetious. Pointing to the irony of firing the OC over blowing a 20 point lead. I'm just not having a clear week. :?

I knew you were, sorry if my reply sounded differently. I just wanted to point out how really effective they were in the second half, even as the Bears took the lead, sort of to emphasize your point. I guess I wasn't too clear either.

Then it hit me that the Cardinal defense wasn't just good last night, it absolutely dominated the Bear offense. A truly amazing outcome.