PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Green Ax's OC after loss

Sparkey
10-17-2006, 03:56 PM
EMPE, Ariz. -- Frustrated Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green fired offensive coordinator Keith Rowen on Tuesday and replaced him with quarterbacks coach Mike Kruczek.

The move came hours after the Cardinals blew a 20-point lead and lost to the Chicago Bears 24-23 on Monday night.

"I've known Keith for a long time. I have the utmost respect for him," Green said. "We are not scoring enough points."

Kruczek becomes Green's third offensive coordinator in the coach's 2½ seasons in Arizona. Rowen took the job after Alex Wood was fired following the 2004 season.

"I don't hesitate to make changes. That's just who I am," Green said. "I like things to go a certain way, and if they don't, I normally do something about it."

Green said he was talking with Rowen about taking another position on the staff.

Kruczek also will remain as quarterbacks coach, a job he has held since Green arrived.

"I think his close working relationship with Matt Leinart will give us a better chance," Green said.

Kruczek was a quarterback at Boston College and backup to Terry Bradshaw with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was head coach at Central Florida for six years before joining Green's staff.

At his Tuesday news conference, Green noted that Rowen had nothing to do with the strange series of late plays that led to the Monday night collapse:

* the blindside sack of Leinart that led to Mike Brown's 3-yard fumble return for a touchdown.
* the 40-yard return of Edgerrin James' fumble by Charles Tillman for another score.
* Devin Hester's 83-yard punt return for the go-ahead touchdown.
* Neil Rackers' miss of a 41-yard field goal attempt with 53 seconds to play.

"But at certain times, you feel like you have to do something a little bit different, something that we hope will be better for us," Green said. "I think Mike is a very demanding taskmaster kind of guy. He's old school all the way, and I think that's what we're going to need right now."

Arizona has lost five straight since a season-opening victory over San Francisco and is 12-26 since Green took over. The Cardinals play at winless Oakland on Sunday.

Arizona is 14th in the NFL in points per game. Some of the other offensive statistics, though, are ugly. The Cardinals are 23rd in total offense, 25th in yards per play, 31st in yards rushing per game and 32nd in rushing yards per attempt.

James, who has yet to have a 100-yard rushing game since coming to Arizona this season, carried 36 times for 55 yards against the Bears. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that is the most carries in NFL history for a back who averaged less than 2 yards per attempt.

Under Rowen in 2005, the Cardinals led the NFL in passing, but ranked last in rushing. He has been an NFL assistant for eight teams since 1984, including a three-year stint at offensive line coach on Green's staff at Minnesota.

The Monday night loss marked the third consecutive home game in which Arizona squandered a late opportunity to win. In a 16-14 loss to St. Louis, Kurt Warner fumbled a snap at the Rams 18 as the Cardinals were working for a winning field goal. Against Kansas City, the Chiefs rallied from 10 down in the fourth quarter to win 23-20. Rackers missed a 51-yard field goal attempt at the finish.

Sparkey
10-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I am starting too think that it is Green that is the problem and not his OC's.

Like comparing it too a divorce. Anyone can get divorced once, If you get divorced a second time it just could be bad luck, but it might have something to do with you...AND finally, if you are divorced three or more times. Well, time to look in the mirror JimBo, cause its not them......

Jimx29
10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah....like 23 points against the Bears defense isn't enough points? WTFF Denny?
Way to deflect the obvious away from the real problem.....YOU

FritzDontBlitz
10-17-2006, 06:19 PM
the cards started sitting on the ball and settling for field goals after they were only up 14-0 through one quarter. it was obvious to the point the play-by-play booth was making jokes about it. they should have kept attacking the endzone.

somebody shoulda got fired, but green aint gonna fire himself now is he?

MadtownPacker
10-17-2006, 06:26 PM
They should have let Leinart air it out. Fire the whole AZ staff and lovie smith just because he is the bears coach!

Jimx29
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
........ lovie smith just because he is the bears coach!His comment..."well, when you are a team of destiny, things like this happen" (or something very close to that), that just about made me hurl on the spot

MadtownPacker
10-17-2006, 06:45 PM
........ lovie smith just because he is the bears coach!His comment..."well, when you are a team of destiny, things like this happen" (or something very close to that), that just about made me hurl on the spotHe said that??? What a SOB!! He better keep in on the DL or they might be destined for less then he thinks. :razz:

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Friggin' hilarious, cyberski! That's my vote for best avartar.

billy_oliver880
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Shouldn't the Bears fire their OC too? I mean 3 points? WTF is that?

FavreChild
10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
So I guess at no point from late in the second quarter on - including HALFTIME - was Denny Green capable of stepping in and suggesting or implementing a gameplan on offense? The OC made these playcalls and they transpired right on the field in front of Greenie's own eyes!!

Pathetic, incompetent, irrational.

The Arizona Cardinals.

MJZiggy
10-17-2006, 08:03 PM
At least they're consistent...

KYPack
10-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Green's goofy.

How about his meltdown at the press conference?

He ain't right.

Maybe Green should hire Fassel and Billick can hire Denny's old stooge OC.

The only good thing AZ's done in the last 10 years is knock the Queens out of the playoffs for us.