PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...Colts get McFarland?

Rastak
10-17-2006, 04:57 PM
From profootballtalk.com

BUCS BUMP BOOGER

Our pal Steve "the Big Dog" Duemig of WDAE radio in Tampa is reporting that the Buccaneers have traded defensive tackle Anthony "Booger" McFarland to the Colts. We're told Duemig has since confirmed the move via a text message from Booger himself.

PewterReport.com reports that the Bucs will receive a second-round draft pick for the former first-rounder.

The move reunites Booger with former Bucs coach Tony Dungy, and it helps to shore up a porous run defense in Indy.

McFarland is signed through 2008. He's making $4.5 million in base salary his year, and his base pay for 2007 and 2008 is $5.5 million and $6.85 million, respectively.

ahaha
10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
8 tackles in 5 games. 0 sacks. Part of a Tampa D that is 26th in rushing defense. I can see why Tampa wants to get rid of his highly paid ineffectiveness, especially for a 2nd round pick.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
8 tackles in 5 games. 0 sacks. Part of a Tampa D that is 26th in rushing defense. I can see why Tampa wants to get rid of his highly paid ineffectiveness, especially for a 2nd round pick.

He's a pretty decent DT.....maybe Tampa sucks because their Line coach left? That's the prevailing theory in GB on the secondary, only it's because the DB coach came back!

ahaha
10-17-2006, 05:14 PM
I wonder if this will have any effect on the Colts ability to sign Dwight Freeney next offseason.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I wonder if this will have any effect on the Colts ability to sign Dwight Freeney next offseason.

Not sure, didn't seem like that big of a contract...but I'm not familiar with their cap situation.

esoxx
10-17-2006, 05:25 PM

Colts are desperate with Corey Simon gone for the year. They've been pathetic on run defense.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
He's a pretty decent DT.....maybe Tampa sucks because their Line coach left? That's the prevailing theory in GB on the secondary, only it's because the DB coach came back!

Actually, he's been pretty ordinary the last two years. I have him in my Madden franchise type league. Scouts feel he really fell off last year. This year is more of the same.

Rastak
10-17-2006, 07:11 PM

Actually, he's been pretty ordinary the last two years. I have him in my Madden franchise type league. Scouts feel he really fell off last year. This year is more of the same.

I guess I didn't realize that, so a #2 might have been way overpaying I take it?

KYPack
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
He was effective Sunday.

He was active and made great penetration several times against the Bengals.

He played better than our RDT's fer instance.

Statistics don't always tell the tale for DT's.If Indy doesn't do something to stop the run, they will be SOL.

A 2? That's a pretty good deal for both sides.

I guess Gruden is coach for life down there, eh?

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
I guess I didn't realize that, so a #2 might have been way overpaying I take it?

From what I hear, yes. Then again, maybe he'll fit what Indy wants out of him more. It happens. Look at Pat Williams. Solid player for Buffalo, but not really ever at Pro Bowl level--except maybe his last year there. Just kicks complete ass for the Vikings.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2006, 01:54 AM

From what I hear, yes. Then again, maybe he'll fit what Indy wants out of him more. It happens. Look at Pat Williams. Solid player for Buffalo, but not really ever at Pro Bowl level--except maybe his last year there. Just kicks complete ass for the Vikings.

I disagree on Williams. Was a very good player on the Bills. Perhaps not well know by the casual fan, but he was very respected by football people.

As for Booger, he knows the cover 2 and played for Dungy in the past. I see giving up a #2 for a good to very good player as reasonable, considering Peyton/Dungy are fast approaching the Sherman/Favre years. The Colts window is fast closing. Indy has to roll the dice if they feel they are a player or two away from a SB.

KYPack
10-18-2006, 07:35 AM

I disagree on Williams. Was a very good player on the Bills. Perhaps not well know by the casual fan, but he was very respected by football people.

As for Booger, he knows the cover 2 and played for Dungy in the past. I see giving up a #2 for a good to very good player as reasonable, considering Peyton/Dungy are fast approaching the Sherman/Favre years. The Colts window is fast closing. Indy has to roll the dice if they feel they are a player or two away from a SB.

Gdamn, Tyrone.

That's 100% right.

Indy will try to play D with Bob and Booger. Sanders and McFarlane are needed to try and get some kind of defense together. Indy can't stop the run right now, they've got to try something or they are dead.

I did see Booger play Sunday and he can still play 2 gap and hold the point. His days as a pass rushing DT are long gone, but that ain't what Indy needs.

A 2 is probably too high a price, but Indy has no choice.

mraynrand
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
These arguments ring familiar. Hmmm...Oh, yeah, I recall people having the same sort of enthusiasm for bringing in Joe Johnson. Good to very good defensive end that would improve the Packer defense in 2002. A little steep on the SB, but what a great move, eh?

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2006, 08:41 AM

Williams was a solid player, but he wasn't great in Buffalo. His last year there maybe. Some people thought he was close to a Pro Bowl level that last year. Before that, he looked like a solid run stuffer (ala Grady Jackson). He's far exceeded anybody's expectations since he got to Minnesota. I've said this before, but last year I didn't see a better DT in the NFL.

prsnfoto
10-18-2006, 09:20 AM

They already can't sign him this is it for the colts if they don't make the SB this year they are in cap hell for years to come, its hard to shave 40 million from the cap unless you're TT.

KYPack
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM

They already can't sign him this is it for the colts if they don't make the SB this year they are in cap hell for years to come, its hard to shave 40 million from the cap unless you're TT.

I keep seeing this posted, that Indy's in cap hell and this is their last run.

They were 9 mill under earlier in the year. Each team gets 7 mil in additional cap room for 07. Indy should be able to sign most of their players in the off-season.

I think Indy can tag Freeny, sign him and make a run next year. They kept space when they let Edge walk in the off-season.

ahaha
10-18-2006, 11:52 AM

They were 9 mill under earlier in the year. Each team gets 7 mil in additional cap room for 07. Indy should be able to sign most of their players in the off-season.

I think Indy can tag Freeny, sign him and make a run next year. They kept space when they let Edge walk in the off-season.

I don't think it will be so easy for Indy to franchise Freeney. If he rebounds to have a decent statistical year, he's in position for a monster contract. He's young and has proved he can be dominant at the DE position. I just don't think he'll be O.K. with signing a franchise tender for one year, when he could possibly get the biggest contract ever for a DE.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2006, 02:57 PM

Williams was a solid player, but he wasn't great in Buffalo. His last year there maybe. Some people thought he was close to a Pro Bowl level that last year. Before that, he looked like a solid run stuffer (ala Grady Jackson). He's far exceeded anybody's expectations since he got to Minnesota. I've said this before, but last year I didn't see a better DT in the NFL.

I don't know what games you were watching, but he was very good to great in Buffalo from 2001 to 2004. In fact, his best years were 2002 and 2003. His numbers last year with the Vikes were well below his 2 best years there cept for his 2 sacks last year.

I follow the Bills very closely as it is my second team, my dad grew up there and I have alot of crack smokin relatives still living there.

Tyrone is a bit misty reminiscing about the Buffalo Braves (Randy Smith, Shumate, Bob McAdoo, Dr. Jack, and Ernie No D) and the great Sabres french connection line.

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
If he was viewed that highly, how come the likes of Reggie Hayward, Chike Okeafor, Derrick Burgess, Bryce Fisher, Marques Douglas, Jason Ferguson, and Kevin Carter all got bigger deals last offseason? He was very good in 2004. Some thought he played at Pro Bowl level. Before that, he was good, but he wasn't anywhere the level he's playing at in Minnesota. Have you seen him play for the Vikings? It helps to play alongside Kevin Williams, but the guy has been a madman. Put it this way: if the dude was a FA after the season he just had, he would have gotten a MUCH fatter contract then he did last year. I have to follow this stuff for my Madden style league. I've been a member of a few websites that provide scouting services for several years, so I know what scouts have thought of him. Pointless in arguing over this though.

Patler
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
If he was viewed that highly, how come the likes of Reggie Hayward, Chike Okeafor, Derrick Burgess, Bryce Fisher, Marques Douglas, Jason Ferguson, and Kevin Carter all got bigger deals last offseason?

Some of it has to do with the fact he is about 105 years old!

Partial
10-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah Harv I always thought he was a pretty darn good player in Buffalo. I think the druggie might have ya this time! :razz:

KYPack
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM

I don't think it will be so easy for Indy to franchise Freeney. If he rebounds to have a decent statistical year, he's in position for a monster contract. He's young and has proved he can be dominant at the DE position. I just don't think he'll be O.K. with signing a franchise tender for one year, when he could possibly get the biggest contract ever for a DE.

Yeah, man.

If they transition tag him I think it'd be around 7-8 mil
Franchise 9 -10 & that's just guessin'

That's over half their cap.

He gets paid this year, no doubt. I don't think he needs the big sack year, everybody knows how great he is.

He don't get to vote, if they tag him, he's tagged.

Bretsky
10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
This was a very good move by the Colts; they are looking to shore up a weakenss when they are close to a SB. Prudent and smart move.

B

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2006, 11:11 PM
If he was viewed that highly, how come the likes of Reggie Hayward, Chike Okeafor, Derrick Burgess, Bryce Fisher, Marques Douglas, Jason Ferguson, and Kevin Carter all got bigger deals last offseason?

And he is a tackle, I believe every other player listed is an end, cept for Ferguson. Teams pay for sacks.

Also, I can't believe that you would equate pay with performance. Often a team will overpay to secure a player because they have a "dire" need.

BTW, my research shows that you are playing way fast and loose with "bigger deals."

First, cap value in 05 for all the players listed has only Hayward beating Williams, 7.5 to around 6 million.

Second, Base salary only Chike made more than Williams.

Third, Bonus (sign plus other) only Ferguson and Hayward made more.

Lastly, Total salary only Hayward, Ferguson, and Chike made more. And Hayward was only more by 53 thou.

And, as mentioned, only Ferguson was a DT. And, he is substantially younger than Pat. Williams is 33. The rest of those guys are younger.

Finally, in 05 Pat was the 4th highest paid DT in the NFL by Total Salary and Cap Value.

I will gladly accept rocks in lieu of your mea culpa. :twisted:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah Harv I always thought he was a pretty darn good player in Buffalo. I think the druggie might have ya this time! :razz:

When Tyrone was in college at UW (you didn't think Tyrone was BORN a crackhead, didja?), Tyrone and his buddies would substitute "I ain't got no liver" for "I live by the river" when out drinking and London Calling was came on the jukebox.

KYPack
10-19-2006, 08:25 AM

And he is a tackle, I believe every other player listed is an end, cept for Ferguson. Teams pay for sacks.

Also, I can't believe that you would equate pay with performance. Often a team will overpay to secure a player because they have a "dire" need.

BTW, my research shows that you are playing way fast and loose with "bigger deals."

First, cap value in 05 for all the players listed has only Hayward beating Williams, 7.5 to around 6 million.

Lastly, Total salary only Hayward, Ferguson, and Chike made more. And Hayward was only more by 53 thou.

And, as mentioned, only Ferguson was a DT. And, he is substantially younger than Pat. Williams is 33. The rest of those guys are younger.

Finally, in 05 Pat was the 4th highest paid DT in the NFL by Total Salary and Cap Value.

Sheezus!

Look at the big brain on Tyrone!

That's probably more work than you do at work!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM

Sheezus!

Look at the big brain on Tyrone!

That's probably more work than you do at work!

Crack smokin gives me lots of energy.

Work? Snatching purses ain't work. It's fun. I love it when the old ladies scream for help. :twisted: