PDA

View Full Version : Lions' Rogers is a 'Roid machine!

SkinBasket
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
No wonder he's flourished in DET...

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

League sources confirmed Tuesday evening that Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, one of the NFL's most talented players at his position, has been suspended four games for a violation of the steroid and related substances policy.

The two-time Pro Bowl performer tested positive, sources said, for a product that Rogers used to help him control his weight. Those sources declined to specifically identify the substance, or to say when the positive test took place, but it is believed to have occurred either in the offseason or the preseason.

The substance that precipitated the positive test is not considered an anabolic steroid. But the violation still falls under the purview of the NFL's steroid and related substances policy, and not the substance abuse policy. Under the latter, a player must test positive multiple times to mandate a suspension. A violation under the steroid and related substances policy earns a player an immediate four-game suspension, even for a first offense.

ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported the four-game suspension.

Because of the timing of the suspension, and since Detroit has a bye week during the sanctions, Rogers will forfeit $250,000 of his scheduled $850,000 base salary for the 2006 season.

The suspension is immediate, meaning that Rogers will miss this Sunday's game at the New York Jets, home contests against Atlanta (Nov. 5) and San Francisco (Nov. 12), and a game at Arizona (Nov. 19). He will be eligible to return for the Thanksgiving Day game against the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 23.

A sixth-year veteran, Rogers was a second-round choice in the 2001 draft, and the former University of Texas star has, at times, been one of the NFL's most dominant interior defensive linemen. There have also been times, however, when Rogers' performance has been inconsistent, and in which his effort has been questioned by the Detroit organization.

Rogers, 27, has been battling right knee problems this season and first-year coach Rod Marinelli has held him out of some practices lately to take some pressure off the knee. Rogers may now use the suspension to take time to have arthroscopic surgery on the knee. In six games this season, Rogers has 20 tackles, three sacks and a fumble recovery.

For his career, Rogers has 314 tackles, 22 sacks, 18 pass deflections, four forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. After the 2004 season, he signed a six-year, $46 million contract extension that made him the league's highest paid defensive tackle at the time.

Partial
10-17-2006, 10:00 PM
It was probably ephedrin since my guess is the big guy likes to eat and doesn't like to eat vegetables and fruits.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2006, 01:48 AM
The word is he took a legal over the counter supplement. I gotta believe like Partial that it was a fat burner or some sort. Ephedra, Ma huang, etc.

KYPack
10-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Tyrone, yer on it.

Must be buying some weak crack and your head's clearing up.

The NFL has a HUGE list of banned substances, which includes dozens of legal and OTC drugs.

You are an NFL player. Get your shit from the training and/or medical staff. Then you will be legal. Don't go wandering around GNC and fill up a cart with stuff that looks good. That's a good way to catch a 4 game or year suspension.

Zool
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I thought a suspension only happens after a second violation?

Fritz
10-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Dang. I didn't know so much stuff was banned. I wonder if Rogers was wishing he'd a huffed a few since he was getting banned anyway. Might as well enjoy yourself, you know?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Tyrone, yer on it.

Must be buying some weak crack and your head's clearing up.

The NFL has a HUGE list of banned substances, which includes dozens of legal and OTC drugs.

You are an NFL player. Get your shit from the training and/or medical staff. Then you will be legal. Don't go wandering around GNC and fill up a cart with stuff that looks good. That's a good way to catch a 4 game or year suspension.

I told Shaun that crack or crystal would slim him down and be outta his system a lot quicker. He just wouldn't listen.

Guiness
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
'lota stuff is on the banned list. I think there are a mess of allergy supplements and cough medicines you have to be careful with. I think pseudoephedrine is one big culprit.

There's an interesting company that makes a line of products specifically for NFL players, guaranteeing that they won't cause them to fail a test 'cause they've got a sniffle

http://www.nsf.org/business/nfl_nflpa/index.asp?program=NFLPA

I'm looking for an actual list of substances on the NFLPA site, but haven't found it yet...

edit: found two lists

http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/BannedSubstances.aspx
http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/BannedCompanies.aspx

KYPack
10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
That's a good point about when you catch a 4 game or a year.

Some things you get a "1st chance", other stuff you get an automatic 4 game or a year.

Jim Miller, the Bear QB caught a 4 game with 4 games left 3 -4 years ago.

He took some OTC cold medicine he bought at a drug store.

Go to the trainer, the stuff's free and you are good for the wiz quiz.

FritzDontBlitz
10-30-2006, 06:53 PM
ephedra is illegal in the usa, its not even supposed to be on american shelves anymore.

Partial
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
ephedra is illegal in the usa, its not even supposed to be on american shelves anymore.

It was temporarily banned for a few years, but its legal again. It has less deaths per thousand uses than tylenol and aspirin. It is actually very safe if used in the correct doses. In fact, while ephdra was banned, ephedrine (synthetic ephedra) was still legal in prevalent in just about every over the counter oral azma (yes, I know that is spelled incorrectly but after trying three different ways to spell it without one appearing correct, I gave up realizing I simply don't have that kind of time to google it) medication as well as some chest decongestants and broncithis drugs.