PDA

View Full Version : Pack the NFL's #2 ranked passing offense????

MadtownPacker
10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
OK I was reading the KR articles when i came across this bit, is it really true? Man after all the talk was about how the D was gonna be bailing the O out this season this is somewhat stunning to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Robinson Suspended For One Year; Passing Game Will Look At Other Options (http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/10/17/3/)

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 10/17/2006

With the suspension of Koren Robinson and the injury to Robert Ferguson, the Packers are prepared to look to other receiving options to keep the league's second-ranked passing attack going strong.

Robinson was suspended on Tuesday for one year for a repeat violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. The suspension is related to an incident during training camp in Minnesota, when Robinson was a member of the Vikings.

Meanwhile Ferguson is expected to have more tests on his sprained foot to determine the extent of the injury, originally sustained on Oct. 2 in Philadelphia. He has not practiced or played since then.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy indicated Tuesday another receiver could be signed from the practice squad, and the offensive staff may have to look at getting the tight ends and fullbacks more involved in the passing game in the coming weeks. The Packers are averaging 252 yards passing per game, ranked No. 2 in the league.

"These are the types of things you prepare for," McCarthy said. "Once again, that goes back to planning for your season. We do have four tight ends on our roster, we have two fullbacks, so we'll go in another direction."

Currently, tight ends Bubba Franks and David Martin rank fourth and sixth on the team with 11 and nine receptions, respectively. Fellow tight end Donald Lee has just two catches but has averaged 28.5 yards per reception. Fullbacks Brandon Miree and William Henderson have combined for three receptions thus far.

At receiver, first-year player Ruvell Martin is now elevated into the No. 3 spot behind starters Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, and McCarthy is confident he's ready to contribute.

Calvin Russell and Chris Francies are the receivers on the practice squad, and McCarthy said it was possible one of them could be signed to the active roster.

"We have planned for this, and we will move accordingly as we get ready for Miami," McCarthy said.

Robinson, who is not allowed to work with the team or at the Packers facilities during his suspension, is no longer on the active roster and is eligible for reinstatement on Sept. 18, 2007. That's one year to the day after the NFL determined he violated the substance abuse policy.

Robinson appealed, and that appeal was heard and denied this week, but the length of the suspension is dated from the original finding, not from the appeal date.

KYPack
10-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Jeezus!

# 2 in the league?

Where'd ya dig that up. a 1942 NFL yearbook?

GoPack06
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
i think that Ruvell Martin will be good. I love his size. We've been doing a good job of passing to the RB's this year.

FritzDontBlitz
10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
according to nfl.com the pack ranks second to the eagles in pass yardage per game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-PASSING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=8

ahaha
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Here are the top 5 in passing yards per game

Team G Att Att/G Cmp Pct Yds Yds/G TDs Int Sck SckYds
Philadelphia 6 210 35.0 123 58.6 1745 290.8 13 2 15 115
Green Bay 5 207 41.4 118 57.0 1260 252.0 7 5 7 45
New York (N)5 176 35.2 115 65.3 1250 250.0 11 7 11 79
St. Louis 6 208 34.7 128 61.5 1482 247.0 10 1 19 137
Indianapolis 5 171 34.2 106 62.0 1229 245.8 8 2 7 49

Kudos to the offensive line's pass protection. Only seven sacks, despite leading the NFL in pass attempts per game by a wide margin.

oregonpackfan
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
If the Packers indeed have the #2 ranked passing offense, it reminds me of the old saying, "Figures lie, and liars figure!" (Nothing personal against you, of course).

I am just using that cliche to bring up the fact that sometimes statistics can be misleading.

OPF

KYPack
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
It reminds me of last year's

# 7 defense
#1 in pass defense

yeah right!
That had to be the most statistically overrrated D in history.

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Using yardage is the sole factor in determining an offense or defense's worth is the biggest pile of crap there is. There is so much more involved.

GBRulz
10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Head Coach Mike McCarthy indicated Tuesday another receiver could be signed from the practice squad, and the offensive staff may have to look at getting the tight ends and fullbacks more involved in the passing game in the coming weeks. The Packers are averaging 252 yards passing per game, ranked No. 2 in the league.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought this was his plan from the very beginning? To get the TE's more involved in the offense?

FritzDontBlitz
10-18-2006, 04:49 PM
they need to quit jacking around and play with 5 wrs active, enough of this te in the slot bullshit.

they activated francies and then signed brewster to the practice squad. so, if one of the wideouts gets hurt sunday they're right back to only 3 wideouts.

this is the one area where tt has consistently pissed me off all season....

red
10-18-2006, 04:51 PM
lets see, we're behind almost all the time, and up until the last game our running game completely sucked

hence, we have to throw the ball, a lot

this is like last years d paiing rankings. we were always losing, so teams didn't have to throw on us

red
10-18-2006, 04:55 PM
they need to quit jacking around and play with 5 wrs active, enough of this te in the slot bullshit.

they activated francies and then signed brewster to the practice squad. so, if one of the wideouts gets hurt sunday they're right back to only 3 wideouts.

this is the one area where tt has consistently pissed me off all season....

i agree, he did this all last year, and it drove me nuts

Fosco33
10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
We've also given up the fewest sacks of those teams. So, add "our Oline is gonna suck and Favre won't make it past Chicago alive to this thread". A lot of this is Brett's ability to get rid of the ball and avoid defenders.

I still have to convince coworkers that the Favre isn't washed up - this will help.

son of a vic
10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Pack no run ball, running backs suck shit. Brett throw ball a lot because line can't run block and running backs suck shit. Stats are feel good crap for losers.

MadtownPacker
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
lets see, we're behind almost all the time, and up until the last game our running game completely sucked

hence, we have to throw the ball, a lot

this is like last years d paiing rankings. we were always losing, so teams didn't have to throw on usI wouldnt say that has been the case this season. For the most part the have been in game. Just seems like M3's O fits Favre perfect.

MadtownPacker
10-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Pack no run ball, running backs suck shit. Brett throw ball a lot because line can't run block and running backs suck shit. Stats are feel good crap for losers.You can save that "loser" talk for when you are looking down and taking a leak. They are passing the ball and have done it against good teams. Are they still 1-4? Yes and thats why I find this so surprising.

FYI - RBs have had 100 yard the last two games. Not consistent but still yards.

Fosco33
10-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Pack no run ball, running backs suck shit. Brett throw ball a lot because line can't run block and running backs suck shit. Stats are feel good crap for losers.

SoB, does that mean you think Brett sucks? That's what I was refuting. Everyone knows that our oline isn't great but they're better than expected. And our RBs aren't THAT bad, look at the first 5 games.... Add one yard for Philly and 3 of 5 had net yards over 100 - against the Bears and Rams. Does that alone mean the RBs are good? No. They've got way too many lost fumbles.

People that can't type a sentence generally don't understand stats.

Has that translated to wins? Absolutely not. We're the youngest team in the league and make too many key mistakes. Add some seasoning and this talent is above average in most positions.

Also, does that mean Philly's passing attack sucks as well? :crazy: