PDA

View Full Version : PR Outsider: Offensive Line Making the ‘Cut’

MadtownPacker
10-18-2006, 12:16 PM
By ND72

For most of the off season, and for a good majority of time since training camp started in late July, the talk around 1265 Lombardi Ave. has been the offensive line; specifically the three rookie guards: Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, and Tony Moll. Also included in the conversations is the new offensive running scheme; a zone blocking concept brought in by new Offensive Coordinator, Jeff Jagodzinski.

In this scheme, it is preferred to use smaller, quicker offensive linemen rather than the bigger and usually slower linemen. One such lineman, Scott Wells, is the prototype player in this scheme, especially at the center position. In the zone scheme, the center and front side (play side) guard are usually responsible for double teaming defensive linemen and getting to the middle linebacker. While there have been some games where the double teams have not been great, every week has become noticeably better. Some players who are no longer with the Packers, namely Mike Wahle, probably would have.... READ MORE (http://packerrats.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31)

TOP HAT
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I like the article for the informative style, but 1-4 rebuilding speaks for
itself, including the rebuilding rhetoric.

Packnut
10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
He must be a likable guy or may-be it's the underdog thing but everyone makes excuse for this guy. He blew the block that cost us a game. He will NEVER be anything more than a back-up.

Brohm
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
To say never is a bit harsh. All 3 are rookies and though mistakes have been made, they have pretty much held there own so far. If we get some depth at LT (begin to groom a replacement for Clifton down the road), I think long term the OL is in good hands

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2006, 12:47 PM
He must be a likable guy or may-be it's the underdog thing but everyone makes excuse for this guy. He blew the block that cost us a game. He will NEVER be anything more than a back-up.

Who are you talking about? Spitz?

prsnfoto
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM

He is talking about Moll, Spitz left the game and there was a noticable difference in the run blocking game there was a reason Herron looked good some holes in the first half were semitruck sized. Another thing to remember is there is always someone back to help block with this young line they will only get better and Tauscher and Clifton finally didn't look lost on the run plays last week.

FritzDontBlitz
10-18-2006, 05:47 PM

he hasd to mean moll. spitz was taken to the locker room early because he was throwing up blood.

ND72
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM

He is talking about Moll, Spitz left the game and there was a noticable difference in the run blocking game there was a reason Herron looked good some holes in the first half were semitruck sized. Another thing to remember is there is always someone back to help block with this young line they will only get better and Tauscher and Clifton finally didn't look lost on the run plays last week.

Tauscher was the one that blew the block and Leonard hit the ball out of Favre's hand. It wasn't the Guard. Too many people are ready to blame one of the younger players when something goes wrong.

Noodle
10-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I think the hit on Moll is that he allowed pressure up the middle, which prevented Favre from stepping up in the pocket. I thought I read that Tausch did ok in forcing the DE to go deep, and that if Moll had been more stout there would have been room for Favre to avoid the outside pressure. Only the coaches and OL guys would know for sure whether that's correct.

ahaha
10-18-2006, 06:07 PM

Huh?!?! Two years ago Moll was playing TE in college, and last year he played tackle. He was drafted as a project but, amazingly, he played his way into the starting line-up, and has been much better than Whitticker. It's a good thing Wolf never evaluated players your way, we'd have got rid of Rivera, Flanagan, and Whale before they ever became good.

MJZiggy
10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
ND, nice article. It was a very good breakdown and look at the personnel. Thanks for submitting it.

Edit: I sent you a pm.

KYPack
10-18-2006, 08:31 PM

Tauscher was the one that blew the block and Leonard hit the ball out of Favre's hand. It wasn't the Guard. Too many people are ready to blame one of the younger players when something goes wrong.

Little "swimmed" him to the inside, right ND?

1st time he used the move all game.

Vet move by a veteran murderer.

Packnut
10-18-2006, 08:35 PM

You need to go back and look at the play. Moll screwed up. He and MM BOTH admitted so the next day. He was the reason Favre could'nt step up in the pocket. I don't criticize a player unless I am damn sure what I'm talking about.

ND72
10-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I donno bout that, I jsut did go back and watch the tape, yeah Moll got pushed back, but Tauscher got taken upfield, which isn't bad, infact that's good, but Tauscher didn't have control over Little, Little meant to get upfield. All Brett had to do was side step to his right, just to the inside of Tauscher, and there are no problems. EITHER WAY...biggest play of the year(so far), and we can't make the play.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2006, 09:35 PM
ESPN rated the OL 26th best in the league this week, but had solid things to say about them. I'd think there's probably more OLs that are playing worse. Minnesota's OL was rated 9th best. Both of these are based a lot on reputation. Johnson seems to be getting knocked around a lot more than Favre, and Chester Taylor's yards/carry is about the same as the Green Bay RBs.

26. Packers The Packers have installed a completely new zone-run game scheme and the offensive line is beginning to show signs of consistency. Green Bay's line has three rookies rotating at the two guard positions and a relatively inexperienced center, but a solid anchor in left tackle Chad Clifton. While the learning curve is steep, the offensive line is beginning to gel.
Best player: OT Chad Clifton