PDA

View Full Version : Dendy to start Woodson out?

KYPack
10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
This caught me eye in the JSO:

Quote on:

Cornerback Charles Woodson remains sidelined with a left thigh bruise and might not be able to play against the Dolphins.

He is listed as questionable and McCarthy said he wouldn't know whether he would be available for practice until after his rehabilitation session in the morning. If Woodson can't play, Patrick Dendy is the leading candidate to replace him.

Quote off:

The depth chart would indicate that Blackmon would be the back-up.

If this all comes to pass, I wonder if Sanders will have to alter the base defense.

There is virtually no way the skinny kid I've seen in nickel can play press technique. The Bates/Sanders defense virtually dictates both corners be singled up in press cover.

I wonder what our wily DC is gonna do?

FavreChild
10-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I wonder what our wily DC is gonna do?

Probably blame injuries when the secondary stinks up the joint. :wink:

Seriously, Sanders should do his damn job. This is Joey frickin' Harrington we're facing, after a bye week. Two weeks to get that unit in order and make adjustments. I do not accept any excuses about injuries *IF* the pass defense should get embarassed this weekend.

KYPack
10-19-2006, 10:42 AM
FC,

You better hold onto your beer stein!

If we don't have Harris & Woodson at CB's, we're in for a long day.

This kiddie korp we have for back-ups ain't ready for prime time.

pbmax
10-19-2006, 10:55 AM
I hope Woodson recovers as I am in NO mood to see us make Joey Harrington look good for the second time in his career. Last year's debacle was bad enough.

ahaha
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
This is a nerve racking situation, but I'm still glad they got rid of Carroll.

Freak Out
10-19-2006, 11:18 AM
If Woodson is out this get real tough...Sanders is going to have to blitz and/or double to help the backups. Wait...we do have backups right? If Harrington has a big day and the Pack loses all of the end days wacko's are right..THE END IS NEAR!

KYPack
10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
If Woodson is out this get real tough...Sanders is going to have to blitz and/or double to help the backups. Wait...we do have backups right? If Harrington has a big day and the Pack loses all of the end days wacko's are right..THE END IS NEAR!

Freak, yer a good dude so I'll pick on you. You can't blitz with kid corners. Blitz technique is the toughest coverage to master. You must have veteran assignment-sure corners to run a lot of storms.

The kids we got are not experienced enough to provide blitz cover.

You must do one of three things:

1. Get a strong pass rush from the down four. How we are gonna manufacture this all of a sudden is beyond me, but that is what we need.

or

2. Go to a straight cover 2 or Tampa 2. Swing them safteies over and back of the young guy(s). The Bates scheme leaves your corner on an Island, the cover 2 would build a bridge so the kid can have some deep help.

or

3. pray

MadtownPacker
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
This is a nerve racking situation, but I'm still glad they got rid of Carroll.I hope you feel the same way when the Joey for MVP talk starts after this Sunday. :evil:

Badgepack
10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Cutting Carroll at the end of the season, with time to actually replace him, may have been the smarter way to go. Our depth is pathetic at most postitions.

Fritz
10-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I would've kept Carroll just for depth purposes, because Dendry or Dendy is a filler and Blackmon still ain't recovered. What about Jarrett Bush, Jeb's son? Anybody hear how he's been in practice? And when is Charlie Peprah going to replace Marquel Marquan'ttackle?

superfan
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM

If the defensive secondary stays true to form, we'll just see Popp in single man coverage on Chambers all day long anyway, so maybe it won't matter.

LaFours
10-19-2006, 03:19 PM
FC,

You better hold onto your beer stein!

This kiddie korp we have for back-ups ain't ready for prime time.

I'm sure this will help Al's plight...that is if Woodson is out for any extended amount of time. Opposing offenses will shift into the mode we saw most of last year. That being attack whoever is accross from Al. Not that Al is the greatest, but the guy across from him is markedly worse to say the least.

Al's gonna have some leverage is this plays out the way I think it will.

Freak Out
10-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Freak, yer a good dude so I'll pick on you. You can't blitz with kid corners. Blitz technique is the toughest coverage to master. You must have veteran assignment-sure corners to run a lot of storms.

The kids we got are not experienced enough to provide blitz cover.

You must do one of three things:

1. Get a strong pass rush from the down four. How we are gonna manufacture this all of a sudden is beyond me, but that is what we need.

or

2. Go to a straight cover 2 or Tampa 2. Swing them safteies over and back of the young guy(s). The Bates scheme leaves your corner on an Island, the cover 2 would build a bridge so the kid can have some deep help.

or

3. pray

I think you can blitz with young corners as long as the QB is Heatherton, but
this could be the game we may not have to..Culpecker was sacked how many times before he went down?

BobDobbs
10-19-2006, 05:23 PM
This is exactly the scenario that those who argued against cutting Carroll pointed to. I wonder if he's going to check out the replay of the game this week to gloat a bit.
This is bad, real bad. Dendy has at least played with the team some. What if we go to the dime? Are we playing Bush and Blackmon? Oh man it's going to look like the 3rd quarter in a preaseason game. If I was the coach I'd bring Culver in and have Collins man up on a receiver. I don't know the Dolphins receiving corps, but we'll see their 3rd and 4th quite a bit.
In my estimation we need:
1) No injuries in the backfield, hopefully not even for a few plays.
2) A huge day from Kampman and maybe KGB will decide to show up
3) A running game

Alternatively, maybe Tory Humphrey's been on the roster the whole time because he can d-back.

red
10-19-2006, 06:07 PM
carroll was in no way what so ever an asset to this team.

if he was still on the team, and starting this week, he would be torched, nonstop, for the whole game

we mine as well throw some undrafted rookie in there to try, he might be able to keep his head out of his ass for at least a few plays. carroll sure as hell proved that he couldn't do that

that aside, i am upset at the lack of depth that TT decides to constantly go with

if a wr goes down, bring in a decent one to replace him

if a cb goes down, get a proven guy

if we only have two safeties on the team, F'ING SIGN SOME MORE

if we lose 5 rb's, go get someone decent thats in the foodline, or trade for someone halfway decent, don't just bring up guys from the practice squad, or find guys from other teams PS. they're on practise squads for a reason.

THEY AREN'T READY FOR THE NFL YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Packers4Ever
10-19-2006, 10:17 PM
carroll was in no way what so ever an asset to this team.

if he was still on the team, and starting this week, he would be torched, nonstop, for the whole game

we mine as well throw some undrafted rookie in there to try, he might be able to keep his head out of his ass for at least a few plays. carroll sure as hell proved that he couldn't do that

that aside, i am upset at the lack of depth that TT decides to constantly go with

if a wr goes down, bring in a decent one to replace him

if a cb goes down, get a proven guy

if we only have two safeties on the team, F'ING SIGN SOME MORE

if we lose 5 rb's, go get someone decent thats in the foodline, or trade for someone halfway decent, don't just bring up guys from the practice squad, or find guys from other teams PS. they're on practise squads for a reason.

THEY AREN'T READY FOR THE NFL YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GEEZ LOUISE, you guys are scarin' the heck out of me. After reading all the commentary on this thread and the possible massacre we could be treated to, maybe I'll just stick my nose in a book on Sunday. ( In a pig's eye !!! ) :shock: