PDA

View Full Version : Bates, Packers reach settlement

GBRulz
10-20-2006, 12:52 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/PKR01/61019153/1978

Bates, Packers reach settlement

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers paid Jim Bates a lump sum of about $1.1 million in July even though the former defensive coordinator turned down at least one other job in the NFL and is out of coaching.

In a telephone interview on Thursday, Bates confirmed he and the Packers reached a settlement this summer but refused to divulge the details. Through interviews with various NFL sources, the Press-Gazette learned how the settlement went down, the terms of it and why the Packers felt compelled to pay him.

When the Packers passed over Bates for their head coach job in January, they agreed to fulfill his contract but did so knowing he would be a hot commodity and almost certainly would get a job as a defensive coordinator with another team, if not a head coach job.

That would mean the Packers would be off the hook for most, if not all, of his annual base salary, which was about $900,000.

Bates, who was under contract with the Packers through the 2007 season, was offered at least one defensive coordinator position - with the St. Louis Rams. Bates turned that job down, because he thought he was in line for the same position with the Dallas Cowboys, which might have been a better stepping stone to a head coaching job, but the job in Dallas surprisingly fell through.

“There were jobs that I thought I was going to get, and it was a weird deal and kind of crazy how it all went down,” Bates said. “There were a couple of jobs that I thought I had secured and ended up going in another direction.”

Had Bates taken the job in St. Louis, the Packers likely wouldn’t have owed him a dime, because the Rams were prepared to offer Bates more than $1 million a year.

Bates desperately wanted the Packers’ head coaching job that General Manager Ted Thompson gave to Mike McCarthy. Shortly after McCarthy was hired, he offered Bates the defensive coordinator job, but Bates turned it down.

At the time, there was some debate in the Packers’ organization about whether they owed Bates anything, because he technically wasn’t fired.

The Packers took the high road and honored the contract in part because they figured Bates would work somewhere in the NFL in 2006 and in part because they knew trying to get out of the contract completely would look bad and might send the wrong message to other potential coaching candidates.

As the offseason wore on and it became evident Bates would be out of football this season, the Packers contacted Bates to find out why. That’s when the negotiations began and a settlement for about 65 percent of his total remaining salary was reached.

“I really don’t want to get into the details, but everything between (him and the Packers) is fine,” Bates said. “We’re on good terms.”
Packers officials declined to comment on Bates’ settlement.
Because the Packers paid Bates a lump sump, they won’t get any relief even if Bates works in 2007, which he said on Thursday that he may do.

“I’ll approach it with an open mind, and I’ll see what’s out there,” said Bates, who turned 60 in May. “I do have an interest, and I’m going to search out everything at the end of this year.”

In the grand scheme of the NFL, a payment of a little over a million dollars isn’t huge and could be chalked up to the cost of doing business, but on the other hand it isn’t a pittance.

The Packers also are paying a large chunk of former coach Mike Sherman’s $3.2 million annual salary. Sherman, who was under contract with the Packers through 2007, was hired by the Houston Texans as their assistant head coach. Sherman’s salary with the Texans likely is less than $500,000, meaning the Packers have to pay him the difference between his head-coaching salary and his salary this season.

With Bates running the defense under Sherman last season, the Packers ranked seventh in the NFL in total defense and No. 1 in passing defense. Because McCarthy wanted to keep the same basic defensive scheme intact, he hired Bob Sanders, a defensive assistant under Bates since 2001.

Despite apparent upgrades in the secondary with free-agent pickups Charles Woodson and Marquand Manuel and at linebacker with first-round draft pick A.J. Hawk, the Packers defense has regressed and currently ranks 31st (or second-to-last) in the NFL in total defense.

Bates, who still is living in the Green Bay area, said he hasn’t seen enough of the Packers to offer an opinion on why they’re struggling.

“I only watched the Philadelphia game,” Bates said. “I’ve been so busy traveling. Sure I miss it, but it’s been good for me as far as being able to do some things that I haven’t been able to do over the years. I’m getting some rest for the first time in a long time.”

Guiness
10-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Bugger I would love to see him back!!!!!

Rastak
10-20-2006, 07:24 AM
So that's how that went down......it made zero sense to me when it happened.....it explains it a much better now. I still think it's kinda silly that when Bates quit he got paid anything at all.

Bretsky
10-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I agree

GB should have offered him a nice raise aka....take it or leave it kind of deal. And if he leaves it then hands are washed on both sides.

B

Lurker64
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
In the Washington Redskin's mold, think we could throw a pile of money at him to be "assistant head coach"? We've already got an offensive guy at the helm, whose offensive coordinator is charged with managing the running game. Why not have a defensive guy at the co-Helm whose defensive coordinator is charged with yelling at Kurt Schottenheimer.

Bretsky
10-20-2006, 08:42 AM
In the Washington Redskin's mold, think we could throw a pile of money at him to be "assistant head coach"? We've already got an offensive guy at the helm, whose offensive coordinator is charged with managing the running game. Why not have a defensive guy at the co-Helm whose defensive coordinator is charged with yelling at Kurt Schottenheimer.

Not even Bates could make Schottenheimer competent :)

That hiring will always baffle me; we had a fine secondary coach in Joe Baker last year who apparently wanted the job and had been a Bates assistant (along with the DC) for years. Why they didn't rehire him and instead bring back a past reject is beyond me.

B

Scott Campbell
10-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Bates is still living in Green Bay? Is that some sort of subliminal message?

Rastak
10-20-2006, 08:57 AM

Maybe he goes to the games incognito and heckels them.

Zool
10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Would bringing back Bates mid season send a message to Sanders? There have to be people inside the organization that realize Shittenheimer is not a good coach. Everywhere he goes the secondary plays like crap. This cant be a coinicidence anymore.

MAN i wish Bates would have kept his DC job.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2006, 10:16 AM

I think it has more to do with his wife being from Wisconsin.

woodbuck27
10-20-2006, 04:49 PM

Yup!

Something like that. . . as Jim Bates certainly knows"D" and if he's living in the area get him back with us somehow.

red
10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BRING HIM BACK IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

make him head coach jr., or head coach #2

or just bring him in as a consultant

OKC PackerFan
10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Yup, I wish he would have just swallowed his pride and come back, but he is gone and not coming back. Time to get over it I guess.

LEWCWA
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Wish they would have went to him and said "Hey we f'ed up, we will fire Mc and bring you in" :wink:

Pacopete4
10-21-2006, 02:55 AM
READ BELOW

Pacopete4
10-21-2006, 02:55 AM
thats dumb.. MM hasnt done very much wrong so far. He has HIS team improving every week.. maybe not winning, but who are we to say he should be. TT has set him up with the least amount of talent possibe for the lowest payroll thinking he can build a team out of no bodys. MM is a coach that is getting shit on im my opinion.

Our complaints last season:

1. MS showed no emotion, fixed with MM
2. MS showed no control over some of his high priced players, MM hasnt had a bitch all year beside Harris and he still is keeping his mouth shut for the most part.
3. MS blamed anyone and everyone but himself... MM blames himself, Favre and whoever else is making the mistakes
4. MS showed no control over Favre in crunch time or any other time in the 05 season.. MM shows TOTAL!! control in every situation Favre is in and Favre is playin up to his ability with NOOOO run game, a SUB PAR oline, and TWO good recievers with NOOOOO!!!! TE's
5. MM has his rookies IMPROVING and BELIEVING they have what it takes, due to the improvement week to week

AND if i wasnt hammered.. i could think of more.

He has done what u ask besides wins.. dont diss his coaching. You bitch cuz the 9ers and Saints were horrible offenses when he was there.. and thas totally true.. he had no talent, like here but the Saints had some of their best years.. give the dude a chance, and when i say chance... A FIGHTING CHANCE FOR FUCKS SAKE!

(Oh, and I was a firm believer in Sherman got the raw end of the deal, even though there were many things wrong with him.... THERE WAS A LOT MORE WRONG WITH THE PACKER ORGANIZATION AND YOU ARE SEEING IT NOW!)