Bretsky
10-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Defense has regressed under Sanders
New coordinator under some fire
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: Oct. 18, 2006
Green Bay - What about Bob?

This is one of the first questions being asked these days by Packer Nation. Whether it's Internet chat rooms, talk radio or via a simple conversation with the guy on the next bar stool, Green Bay fans seem to be wondering two things when it comes to beleaguered defensive coordinator Bob Sanders.

First, why has Green Bay's defense regressed immensely under the guidance of Sanders? Second, does Sanders have the knowledge and communication skills to spearhead a revival?

Of the dozen or so Green Bay players surveyed recently, none had a solution to question No. 1. When it came to the second query, though, they all seemed to have faith in Sanders.

"Coach Sanders isn't the problem," Packers defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins said. "I just think he's new. It's his first time doing this and I think he has some adjusting to do.

"He has a lot of new players and players that need to adjust to him. It's just one of those things where everybody needs to adjust and have faith in everybody else."

Added defensive tackle Colin Cole: "You can't place all the blame on what's going on here on coach Sanders. He doesn't play the game. He just coaches it."

Just how well Sanders coaches it is a hot debate these days.

Under the direction of Jim Bates, Green Bay's defense was one of the more surprising units in football in 2005. The Packers finished seventh in total defense, No. 1 against the pass and ranked in a tie for 19th in points allowed (21.5).

Green Bay brought nearly that entire unit back in 2006 and felt it had upgraded by replacing defensive tackle Grady Jackson with Ryan Pickett, weakside linebacker Robert Thomas with A.J. Hawk and cornerback Ahmad Carroll with Charles Woodson.

With roughly one-third of the season complete, though, the Packers have gone backward in virtually every major statistical category.

The biggest slide has come in passing defense, where Green Bay has inexplicably gone from first to worst.

After allowing 179.8 yards per game last season, Green Bay is now giving up 275.8 and has plummeted to 32nd.

The Packers are an extremely disappointing 31st in total defense, allowing 378.0 yards per game - 84.9 more than a year ago.

But where the Packers have been stung the worst is on the scoreboard. Green Bay has allowed 27.6 points per game, which ranks 31st in the NFL, ahead of only San Francisco (32.3). Since 1959, the only Green Bay teams to allow more points in the first five games came in 1986 (31.2) and 2004 (28.4).

"I don't know what the problem is," defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila said. "I wish I did and then we could just go and fix it. But I don't know it."

The easy answer is to point to Sanders, who had never been a coordinator at the NFL level before this season.

Sanders, who spent 22 years coaching at the collegiate level, worked under Bates in Miami from 2001-'04 as his linebackers coach. Bates then brought Sanders to Green Bay to coach the defensive ends in 2005.

When Mike McCarthy beat out Bates for the head coaching job, Bates rejected McCarthy's offer to stay on and run the defense. Finally, nine days after McCarthy was named head coach, he chose the route of continuity and tagged Sanders to be his defensive coordinator.

Sanders hasn't changed Bates' scheme or much of the terminology. But the results have been night and day.

"It's not surprising," safety Nick Collins said. "We just have new guys, you know. Everybody doesn't know everybody yet."

When Dick Bennett turned the University of Wisconsin men's basketball coaching reigns over to Brad Soderberg three games into the 2000-'01 season, Soderberg left virtually everything the same, too. But Badgers fans quickly found out the coach is more important than the system.

Green Bay might be realizing that right now with Sanders, as well.

While Sanders has done very little tinkering with Bates' system, the two men are polar opposites when it comes to personality and coaching styles.

Bates was a hard-charger who did his teaching with a hands-on approach and had no problem getting in the face of a player. Sanders is more reserved and does much of his teaching in the classroom.

There's no right or wrong way to coach. For whatever reason, though, the Bates way has produced greater results for most of the players.

"Where we are right now isn't Coach Sanders' fault," Gbaja-Biamila said. "He's doing exactly the same things coach Bates did last year.

"It's on us. We're not getting the job done right now as players. Coach Sanders was my (position) coach last year. I know how good of a coach he is."

The evidence right now doesn't back it up.

In addition to major slippage in most categories, Green Bay has had communication problems and lined up with either too many or too few men in each of the last two games.

Sanders had the bye week to fix that, and several other glaring weaknesses. If improvement isn't shown over the final 11 games, Green Bay could be looking for its fifth defensive coordinator in as many years once the season ends.

"The whole start to the year has been very frustrating," Jenkins said. "I feel like our offense has been playing pretty good for the most part. They're putting up points on the board.

"And I feel like as a defense, we're letting them down. We're not helping out as much as we should by allowing that many points, making our offense have to work too hard. So, we need to get that taken care of."

Bretsky
10-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Geez, my sorry @ss articles brew better discussion than these PI ones.

Cheers,
B

vince
10-20-2006, 06:56 PM

Cheers,
B
Bob Sanders is one of the few things happening in Packerland that I don't have a strong opinion about. It's so difficult to determine the real issues at this point, because there's so much information that we're just not privy to. We'll see how the D does in the next 4 games or so. Most should be winnable games, and if the D let's the team down, sooner or later, you gotta look at this guy. Hopefully the D quits giving up so many big plays, and we don't have to look at him - or anyone - as the problem.

He's in a no-win situation though. If the D does it's job, they're just continuing what Bates implemented. If they don't improve their consistency, I think you start looking in his direction first...

Bretsky
10-20-2006, 07:01 PM
He needs to show improvement from last year.

I've seen WAY too much chaos on the field; mainly in the secondary.

In the Ram game I again witnessed Hawk running off the field and nobody going back on so they were ready to play with 10 players. On that specific play ST L called a timeout which saved us. Hawk came back in for the next play.

I don't know if this is just the Schotter or Sander and the Schotter.

B

vince
10-20-2006, 07:12 PM

In the Ram game I again witnessed Hawk running off the field and nobody going back on so they were ready to play with 10 players. On that specific play ST L called a timeout which saved us. Hawk came back in for the next play.

B
I agree B. With 6 new starters on D, there's going to be some transition time. I'd say that time is up.

Freak Out
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Sanders has to take the heat for this, he is the Coordinator after all. It’s his job to put a plan in place to insure success. If its the players he is given then he damn well better say so otherwise fire his ass after the season if not before. This could be another record setter if things don’t change soon.

potsdam_11
10-20-2006, 07:32 PM
The defense is struggling, and according to the players it's their fault.

It's a little late in the season to ship them all off, and firing the whole defensive coaching staff, while marginally comical, would only result in more confusion and further degredation of the rather tenuous team chemistry. I suspect that a coaching staff with this many first timers is bound to run into its self from time to time.. Let's hope the coaching staff spent the bye week ironing out their philosophical differences and can now agree on a unified approach to the game.

I agree that the time for further melding is about up.. Time to put this team on the field. 3 or 4 more games seems a reasonable point to start the evaluation process for this coaching staff.

Packnut
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
The Saints DC is getting a helluva lot more out of a defense that man for man is about the same talent level as the Pack. Coaches do make a difference. This is another example of a few here making excuses for Sanders. He's getting paid to do a job that so far has yielded PATHETIC results.

esoxx
10-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Big difference between being a DE coach or LB coach and being a Defensive Coordinator. Big difference.

So far Sanders appears in over his head.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't win two of our next three games... rebuilding or not.

Bretsky
10-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't win two of our next three games... rebuilding or not.

Would you consider yourself already extremely disappointed by the start ?

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Would you consider yourself already extremely disappointed by the start ?

Not really. It sucks to lose close games, but we beat a bad team on the road, got trounced by probably the two best teams in the NFC, and played two other good NFC teams tough. Kind of what could be expected. Beat bad teams. Play decent/solid teams tough, get beat by good teams. The next three weeks we play bad teams. We need to win two of these games to make me feel like this coaching staff can't make the necessary adjustments "in season."

vince
10-21-2006, 03:45 AM
The Saints DC is getting a helluva lot more out of a defense that man for man is about the same talent level as the Pack. Coaches do make a difference. This is another example of a few here making excuses for Sanders. He's getting paid to do a job that so far has yielded PATHETIC results.
I'll go out on a limb and assume you're referring to me here.

I'm not sure what world you live in Nut, but here on earth where I live, it takes some amount of time and game experience working together to get 11 humans to understand and learn 1) their role, and 2) how their teammates fulfill their roles - when they have to work together in machine-like fashion to counter another group whose collective goal is to break that machine down. That's a complicated undertaking - especially when there's a new architect and six new parts. Those aren't excuses for the failure we've both seen thus far. They're reasons.

I agree with you Nut, and clearly indicated the belief above, that the time has come for those reasons to have been addressed. This next segment of the season will be very telling, and it's time for this D to get it done.

The D showed some things against the Rams, notwithstanding the apparent temporary transformation of Al Harris' hands into clubs. That's not an excuse. That's a fact. They need to continue to show improvement.

After five games and the bye week, I expect to see a team that is extremely competitive throughout the rest of this season, and one that'll continue to get better into next year. I'll be watching the games and analyze what I see, but unless injuries continue to pile up, I can't envision reasons for failure other than coaching. I think the talent, albeit still somewhat raw in many cases, is there - not to win out, but at least to be very competitive. And these guys will continue to get better.

If the team continues to fail, I personally don't think McCarthy will be the source of that. I think he'll get the job done. He has established expectations and accountability, and after the first game, his offense has performed pretty well. I personally like what I see from McCarthy. Jags appears also to be beginning to get the job done with the ZBS, although there's much work still to be done with the running game.

The other guy to look at then becomes Sanders, and in my opinion, we'll find out more about him in the next 4 weeks.

Now it appears that Dendy will see significant time with the injury of Woodson. If he plays significant minutes and holds his own, but the rest of the D still doesn't produce, that's indication that Sanders is a problem. If the rest of the D shuts down the Dolphins, but Dendy looks like Ahamad Carroll II out there, that would indicate that Sanders is beginning to get the job done. Dendy is likely to need some of that experience I referred to above. He won't get - at least from me - three years to fail like Carroll did from many, but I'll give him a few games to get some seasoning, and see how (if) he develops.

As the season goes on, one thing I'm confident about is that our currently divergent opinions about a lot of things with this team will begin to converge - one way or the other. I'm an optimistic person I guess, but I call 'em as I see 'em - good, bad or otherwise.

Achieving stable success in the face of so much change takes time, but it doesn't take forever. The excuse (as you say) of inexperience in working together is now gone for the most part, IMO. I believe the successes should be beginning to come together right before our eyes...

Some people aren't happy unless they're pissed off, and other people's egos make them seemingly unable to objectively see what's in front of them, but I trust we both hope that prediction comes to fruition.

I assure you that if I don't see continued progress, I'll be as harsh a critic as anyone. If you go back and check out the Carroll threads, I think you'll see that.

Bretsky
10-21-2006, 08:03 AM

I agree Sanders in not cutting the grade; I think he's in over his head.

But the Saints D has more talent than Green Bay's.

Partial
10-21-2006, 08:52 AM

Cheers,
B
Bob Sanders is one of the few things happening in Packerland that I don't have a strong opinion about. It's so difficult to determine the real issues at this point, because there's so much information that we're just not privy to. We'll see how the D does in the next 4 games or so. Most should be winnable games, and if the D let's the team down, sooner or later, you gotta look at this guy. Hopefully the D quits giving up so many big plays, and we don't have to look at him - or anyone - as the problem.

He's in a no-win situation though. If the D does it's job, they're just continuing what Bates implemented. If they don't improve their consistency, I think you start looking in his direction first...

Vince delivers yet again. I think e pretty much nailed down my thoughts exactly. Great minds :mrgreen:

Partial
10-21-2006, 08:55 AM

B

Yes, that is very, very bad news. I am starting to feel that even if Sanders is a fine coach that he may not be the right coach. Maybe i've been reading Wist too much but I would rather have a defense built around pressure. I don't feel everyone is being used to maximize their skills, especially Hawk and Collins.

Partial
10-21-2006, 09:00 AM

I agree Sanders in not cutting the grade; I think he's in over his head.

But the Saints D has more talent than Green Bay's.

Where? They lost their best pass rusher, have two first round ends who so far aren't justifying their draft status ( one could argue grant is playing well this year ), a TERRIBLE linebacking core, two adequate safeties, and ok corners since McKenzie looks washed up.

I'll agree with you on Sanders that thus far he hasn't shown he can get it done, but the Saints D does not have a Barnett or a Hawk. What they do have is a comparable DL and an adequate secondary.