PDA

View Full Version : Another Pac-10 team falls short on defense!

oregonpackfan
10-22-2006, 12:35 AM
If you saw today's UCLA-Notre Dame game, you saw how a Pac-10 team just could not rely on its defense to win the game. UCLA was ahead of ND for most of the game. They just needed their defense to contain ND in the closing 2 minutes of the game.

In typical Pac 10 fashion, the defense just could not stop Notre Dame from marching down the field and scoring. The final touchdown put ND ahead and gave them the win.

In the 16 years I have lived in Oregon, I have followed the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers in their games with their Pac-10 opponents(though the Badgers remain my #1 favorite collegiate team.)

For the life of me, I am baffled why Pac 10 teams can't, or won't, play good defense. The coaches seem more interested in their offenses scoring points than their defenses stopping scoring by their opponents.

In the Wisconsin-Purdue game today, the Badgers offense was erratic. They did put a couple of good drives together and P.J. Hill was a punishing runner. Their offense, however, just did not click well like it has in previous games.

The Badgers defense played a spectacular game stopping one of the best offensive teams in the country. If the Badgers had a Pac 10 defense, they would have lost the game 35-24 instead of winning it 24-3.

Do any of you have any theories why Pac 10 teams are so consistently poor on defense?

OPF