PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga Discussion

Partial
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Man, this kid has grown a ton since week 1 and week 2 where he was being toasted left and right. Today I did not feel like he was a liability.

Patler
10-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Other than his interception, I thought he played quite poorly in the 1st half, I listened to the second half more than I watched it so I can't say much about it.

Partial
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Same here, I was doing homework during a lot of the game, but I did not think he gave up any big plays that I can think of.

mission
10-22-2006, 08:03 PM
he had a few outside plays where he didnt hold containment and just ran into the backfield... he had a couple nice plays including the interception but i dont think he's the guy.

Bossman641
10-22-2006, 08:48 PM
He had a OK day. It looked like he had a blown play early in the game where he bit on the playaction hard (again) and gave up a 20 yard reception cause the receiver was wide open. That's just what it looked like as I was watching the game, the tape may prove me incorrect. Failed to play a few runs correctly as well.

He;s improved but I'm not sure how good he can be.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Have to give him props for not having obvious coverage breakdowns the last couple of weeks. I like the combination of Hawk and Barnett in the nickel. That's probably our best defensive set.

Noodle
10-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Harv, I agree. The combo of Barnett and Hawk could really be pretty stout in the years to come. Lots of speed, and with Hawk, lots of nasty.

Now all we need is DBs to play behind them.

Patler
10-23-2006, 01:28 AM
Popinga's day statistically:

0 tackles, 1 assist, 1 total, 1 QB hurry, 1 interception, 1 pass defensed.

Not very impressive, of course with the Pack leading the whole second half and Miami passing, he may not have been in for a lot of plays in the second half.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I'll take few tackles from him right now because it seems his big tackle days come because he's allowing completions 10 yards down the field.
:?

Cheesehead Craig
10-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I dion't recall him having a pass completed on him. Could be wrong, but there was nothing real obviously wrong with his pass coverage. I did see him blitz more than usual though, so likely the Packers are using him differently.

Patler
10-23-2006, 10:00 AM
I think they are limiting his pass coverage responsibilities, which is a wise move. They used him to rush in a 3-3 alignment on passing downs. I was hoping he might be a bit more effective as a pass rusher than he showed yesterday, but then again watching the game on TV doesn't always show how effective a pass rusher is or isn't unless they show replays of the play.

Cheesehead Craig
10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
He only got pressure 1 time that I saw, rest of the time he didn't do much for rushing the passer.

SkinBasket
10-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I dion't recall him having a pass completed on him. Could be wrong, but there was nothing real obviously wrong with his pass coverage. I did see him blitz more than usual though, so likely the Packers are using him differently.

His blitzing was poor enough that I hope they give up on it. He either gets mucked down at the line, or seems unsure wether he should keep blitzing or drop - meaning he does neither. There were several running plays were he took second-grader type angles and ended up miles from the play. Granted, he didn't look as ridiculous as the first couple weeks, but he's certainly got a long long way to go.

On a side note about bad players. I loved how when Kampman knocked the ball out of Joey's hands on his sack, KGB was not only no where near the QB, he wasn't even moving - just kinda standing there. I guess once his one move fails, it takes him a few seconds to consider trying to run around his guy again. I've been tickled to see Montgomery in the game more and more lately.

wist43
10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I watched very little of the game... but, of course, I taped it. From what I did watch he seemed to play OK.

I'll watch the tape tonight.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 10:42 AM
The one positive is that there seems to be improvement coming from him. That's encouraging--although I'd argue that he better improve quickly. He's A LOT older than most rookies that come into the league. He's 27 years old. Hell, he's 4 years older than Ahmad Carroll--who has been in the league a year longer.

Barnett had two missed tackles, but he's been solid overall--much like last year. He's a little improved. Hawk had a poor game against Philadelphia, but has been solid in the other 5 games. Yesterday was almost a breakout game. It seems just a matter of time before he has a true breakout game. He's already the best LB we've had here since at least Wayne Simmons in the mid 90s.

MadtownPacker
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
After dropping the give away INT against the Rams Poppinga made a sweet play on the one yesterday. Just plucked it out of the air. He deserves his own thread for sure.

GoPack06
10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
i think he's still making mistakes just not as big. So i think he's getting better. Remember he's new to this postion compared to most guys.

Partial
10-23-2006, 01:17 PM

His blitzing was poor enough that I hope they give up on it. He either gets mucked down at the line, or seems unsure wether he should keep blitzing or drop - meaning he does neither. There were several running plays were he took second-grader type angles and ended up miles from the play. Granted, he didn't look as ridiculous as the first couple weeks, but he's certainly got a long long way to go.

On a side note about bad players. I loved how when Kampman knocked the ball out of Joey's hands on his sack, KGB was not only no where near the QB, he wasn't even moving - just kinda standing there. I guess once his one move fails, it takes him a few seconds to consider trying to run around his guy again. I've been tickled to see Montgomery in the game more and more lately.

Montgomery had a big sack yesterday and Poppinga had some decent blitzes.

At the very least, Pop was collasping the pocket and making the QB move laterally a bit before he had a big time collision with Ronnie Brown. Poppinga was getting there but Brown at 235-240 is excellent at picking up blitzes.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd like to watch the game again. I remember Hawk and Barnett coming on a lot of blitzes, but don't remember Poppinga blitzing a ton.

beakerman
10-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Poppinga, also had a nice play on the TE in the Miami Redzone earlier in the game. They went after him, the TE ran a seam rout, Brady had him smothered on the inside, and Manual actually was over the top.. result incompletion not really a big play, but would of been if he had left his jock at the 10.....