PDA

View Full Version : Team Record for Ahman Green

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Congrats to Ahman Green. 91 more yards and he becomes the first Packers player with 10,000 yards from scrimmage in his Packers career.

Running back Ahman Green spent most of the third quarter on Sunday in the Packers locker room getting two bags of fluids through IVs to restore his energy.

But when he got back on the field, he made it count, both on the scoreboard and in the team's record book.

Green busted loose for a 70-yard touchdown run early in the fourth quarter and by the end of the game, he had become the franchise's all-time leader in yards from scrimmage.

Green, who missed the Packers' previous two games with hamstring troubles, finished with 18 carries for 118 yards to mark the biggest rushing performance by a Packer this season and push him past James Lofton in career yards from scrimmage with 9,909.

"It's meaningful because I didn't do it by myself," said Green, rattling off the names of nearly every offensive lineman who has blocked for him in his seven seasons in Green Bay.

"All those guys are the main reason. It's a team sport. If it was me against 11 guys on defense, I wouldn't get one yard and I'd get my butt kicked every play. But with those guys, it makes it a lot easier."

Green also scored his 50th career rushing touchdown and his 49th as a Packer, moving him just one behind Paul Hornung for No. 2 on that list in Packers history. The 100-yard rushing game was his 30th in a Packer uniform, and his 63rd touchdown overall as a Packer moved him into sole possession of fourth place in team history, just ahead of Hornung.

With Green Bay, Green now has 7,436 yards rushing and 2,473 receiving, putting him 91 shy of 10,000 in his Packers career.

Noodle
10-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for posting this Harv. I'm telling you, when they want a definition of team player, there are few that can provide a better example than Green. You gotta like the way he gives total love to his OL dudes over the years.

And check his comments in JSO about his TD run: "I've been just waiting for it to come," said Green, obviously a very happy man in what for him has been a very tough couple of years. "My line got me there. It was perfect. It was awesome."

Tough sledding for Green early, with all the OL shuffling they had to do. But he kept plugging and man that TD run was sweet. Looks like the rest did his hammy some good. And this is all after coming back from an injury that has ended the careers of most guys who got it.

One day, maybe we'll truly appreciate what Green has done at GB.

GrnBay007
10-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Congrats to Ahman Green. 91 more yards and he becomes the first Packers player with 10,000 yards from scrimmage in his Packers career.

Cool! It would be great if he could get the 91 yards and his 50th career rushing touchdown as a Packer on Oct. 29th at Sweet Home Lambeau!

FritzDontBlitz
10-23-2006, 01:30 AM
ahman is the man. i was so stoked after he broke free on that td run, and seeing the reaction of jags on the sideline was priceless.

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Cool! It would be great if he could get the 91 yards and his 50th career rushing touchdown as a Packer on Oct. 29th at Sweet Home Lambeau!

I thought he got the 50th at Miami, or did I hear that wrong?

Zool
10-23-2006, 09:33 AM

I thought he got the 50th at Miami, or did I hear that wrong?They did say that during the game. Wasn't it cool having Vasgerjian(sp) calling the game? The other guy did go a little overboard after the final TD drive about playing safe, but other than that I wasn't annoyed once during the game by the announcers.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
He got his 50th career TD vs. Miami. He got one with the Seahawks.

I thought the crew did poorly. Not because they were biased, but because they kept getting names and regular play-by-play wrong. They said Ahman caught a ball that Driver did. They got a catch by Bubba wrong. There were others. They said Green Bay had a first down on a play that Driver was clearly a yard short on. Then, they said Green Bay could possibly challenge the spot. Midway through the game, I had noticed at least 5 mistakes that were made. Oh well!

Patler
10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
He got his 50th career TD vs. Miami. He got one with the Seahawks.

I thought the crew did poorly. Not because they were biased, but because they kept getting names and regular play-by-play wrong. They said Ahman caught a ball that Driver did. They got a catch by Bubba wrong. There were others. They said Green Bay had a first down on a play that Driver was clearly a yard short on. Then, they said Green Bay could possibly challenge the spot. Midway through the game, I had noticed at least 5 mistakes that were made. Oh well!

I found it very annoying that they not only identified the wrong players much too often, they also often did not get the right first names with the players' last names. The first mistake can be the responsibility of the spotters. Announcers are fed last names or numbers of the players making the play and will go with it if they can't see it well themselves. Of course, some announcers ignore their spotters and believe their own eyes only. The second mistake, wrong first name with the last name, falls on the shoulders of the announcer. That is part of their pre-game preparation.

They also consistently reported the gains on plays wrong. Runs back to the line of scrimmage were reported as 4 yard gains! Again, that can happen occassionally, but it happened much too often yesterday.

I think the whole crew was bad/inexperienced, not just the announcers. But that is to be expected when a 1-4 team plays a 1-5 team!

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 10:40 AM
They also consistently reported the gains on plays wrong. Runs back to the line of scrimmage were reported as 4 yard gains! Again, that can happen occassionally, but it happened much too often yesterday.

I think the whole crew was bad/inexperienced, not just the announcers. But that is to be expected when a 1-4 team plays a 1-5 team!

Agreed. We deservedly got the #4 or #5 crew. I counted them getting the gains wrong by at least 2 yards at least three times.

MadtownPacker
10-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Great runs by Ahman, it's been far too long since he had taken one to the house.

Zool
10-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Agreed. We deservedly got the #4 or #5 crew. I counted them getting the gains wrong by at least 2 yards at least three times.That and he's a baseball announcer.

Patler
10-23-2006, 11:07 AM

Agreed. We deservedly got the #4 or #5 crew. I counted them getting the gains wrong by at least 2 yards at least three times.That and he's a baseball announcer.

Well a network hired him to do NFL football. That's the top rung on the football announcing ladder. If he can't do more than one sport well (others do), they need to find someone else. There are many others out there they can choose from.

Zool
10-23-2006, 11:41 AM

Well a network hired him to do NFL football. That's the top rung on the football announcing ladder. If he can't do more than one sport well (others do), they need to find someone else. There are many others out there they can choose from.Would you rather hear Joe Theismann say after a play doesnt work "If I'm (OC or HC) I dont make that call right there."

Madden mispronounces names and gets a ton of game action wrong, but he's the loveable old dolt so its ok?

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 12:01 PM
THEESman? No. I'd rather have anybody but THEESman, but that doesn't mean this guy deserves a gig. Madden has some personality--even though I think he should retire. This guy isn't Madden or Cosell. He's not flamboyant enough for people to look past his mistakes.

Zool
10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
We'll just have to disagree then. I love his pop culture references during the game. I was pissed when he stopped doing Brewer games. The man never tells a boring story about his hotel, or the meal he ate 2 weeks ago. He's a TON better than Theismann, but good ol' Joe is on MNF now.

Patler
10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Several of you are confusing the color commentators with the play-by-play announcer. Theisman and Madden are both commentators and are there to provide flair, insight, interest. Mistakes are tolerated as long as the viewers like them. Play-by-play announcers in football are there to provide the factually correct information about the play, who did what and where. The good ones don't make the kinds of mistakes we heard yesterday.

Football announcing is totally different than baseball. Baseball announcers often trade off innings, and may even work alone at times. It's casual conersation of what is happening. In a two man booth, both do everything, but from different perspectives usually.

In a football booth there is a clear separation of the reponsibilities of the play-by-play and color guys. A good play-by-play announcer controls everything, but is less noticeable than the color commentators. Good play-by-play announcers are extremely accurate, and many provide very little analysis, perhaps only asking questions or making statements to illicit input from the others in the booth, who are there because of their football expertise and may not be the most eloquent.

We did not hear a good play-by-play performance for a football game yesterday. I also thought the color commentary was weak, at best.

Rastak
10-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Pat Summerall was pretty bad in his later years as a play by play guy......

A player would get a 75 yard touchdown run and Pat's call would be....

Handoff to Davis { 30 second pause} touchdown.

Real exciting Pat.....

Deputy Nutz
10-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Ahman still has the wheels folks. He is still one of the fastest players on the field when the Packers play.

vince
10-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Ahman still has the wheels folks. He is still one of the fastest players on the field when the Packers play.Yup, love Ahman. As you say, Nutz, he's still good, but you have to worry about his ability to stay healthy. I think next year, you have to look at moving him into being more of a situational guy... and have a solid Plan B (explosive rookie) for if/when he breaks down.

Cheesehead Craig
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Ahman still has the wheels folks. He is still one of the fastest players on the field when the Packers play.Yup, love Ahman. As you say, Nutz, he's still good, but you have to worry about his ability to stay healthy. I think next year, you have to look at moving him into being more of a situational guy... and have a solid Plan B (explosive rookie) for if/when he breaks down.
We already have one, Noah Herron, what more do you want? :lol: