PDA

View Full Version : These Kids are All Right

vince
10-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Mike Woods column: These kids are all right

Youngsters show they belong

By Mike Woods

MIAMI — An appeal like this always comes in times of duress, born out of desperation or circumstance. Would somebody, anybody, please — warning: cliché alert — step up?

Packers rookie guard Daryn Colledge got his invitation 20 minutes before kickoff on Sunday, as did fellow rookie lineman Tony Moll.

Ruvell Martin's came early in the week, when it was announced Koren Robinson would be suspended for the year, and practice squad promotion Chris Francies' came at halftime, after rookie Greg Jennings went down with an ankle injury.

The amazing thing is, they all RSVP'd.

All these young kids upon whom the Packers are hanging their future earned their first stripe, helping Green Bay come away with a much-needed 34-24 victory over Miami at a steamy Dolphin Stadium.

"I think those guys have been the highlight of our season,'' quarterback Brett Favre said of the trainees. "We won the game for a lot of reasons but I think our young guys did as much to help us win as much as anyone.''

This was a day when starting left tackle Chad Clifton was scratched just before kickoff because he kept losing his lunch, which forced Colledge to move from left guard to left tackle, forced rookie right guard Jason Spitz to move to left guard and moved rookie right guard Moll into the starting lineup.

Even so, "Dancing with the Rookies" drew good ratings.

This also was a day in which Martin would be needed more than ever in light of Robinson's suspension. Francies fell into the same situation after Jennings' injury. This had Catch-22 written all over it. Instead, each of these guys made key catches in the Packers' game-clinching drive.

All will have stories to tell after this one.

Colledge was the linchpin to the offensive line's ability to hold up. He had the unenviable assignment of trying to slow down Dolphins All-Pro lineman Jason Taylor. To no one's surprise, Taylor took Colledge to school. Taylor treated Colledge like a turnstile, sacking Favre twice and forcing two fumbles in the Packers' first three possessions.

But the Packers began to move the pocket and moved some help to aid Colledge. Eventually, he began to settle in, didn't give up any more sacks and contributed a key block on Ahman Green's 70-yard TD run that gave the Packers a 27-16 lead in the fourth quarter.

"Stuff like this is big for a younger player,'' Green said of Colledge. "To see what they can do, when everything is hitting right. Even though it's kind of a reliever type of situation, it definitely gives him big confidence knowing he can go in there and take care of the job against an All-Pro guy. It started out kind of rough, but it ended well for him.''

It ended well for Martin as well, who finished with two catches, none bigger than the 19-yarder he hauled in from Favre on the Packers' game-clinching drive in the fourth quarter.

"You're always part of the team. but until you really contribute and do something,'' Martin said, "... it really makes you feel good.''

Finally, we have Francies, the guy to whom Favre turned when the Packers' faced third-and-1 from the Miami 25 on that same drive. His 12-yard reception put the Packers in position for the kill.

"It was my first catch, and I wanted it to count,'' Francies said. "So, hopefully, the next time, they'll continue to come back to me.''

Early indications are he has earned Favre's trust. The play was supposed to be a run with a pass option. But when Favre saw Francies facing one-on-one coverage, he chose to put faith in the rookie at the most critical of times.

"Now, the run may have been OK, but I had one-on-one coverage. And he knows there's a potential pass option, and that time is as good as any to give him a chance," Favre said. "He's a good kid, works hard, (and) I think that will do nothing but build his confidence. He may have to play more for us.''

That's a safe bet.

With a roster flush with first- and second-year players, there's little doubt the kids will be called on again, and again.

Who will answer next?

Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at mwoods@postcrescent.com

swede
10-23-2006, 07:46 AM
In football, believing in yourself and in your teammates tips the talent balance back in your direction.

Congratulations to Colledge for hanging in there after Jason Taylor had stolen his lunch money and pulled down his pants.