PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay

Ballboy
10-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I've been a life long Packer fan and am making a trip up to the Ariz game on Sunday. It has been 8 years since I last went to a game due to getting married, kids, work and illness.

Any ideas on what to do prior to the game? What time do local places open on game days to eat something prior to the game? Maybe a bloody mary or two? Sorry to sound ignorant, but need address and directions.

Can anyone still park at the stadium or do you need some special pass? I used to always park in a church parking lot about 10 blocks away and walk in.....this time I'm bringing my wife.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 10:04 AM
You should join us for pregame tailgating.

vince
10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I've been a life long Packer fan and am making a trip up to the Ariz game on Sunday. It has been 8 years since I last went to a game due to getting married, kids, work and illness.

Any ideas on what to do prior to the game? What time do local places open on game days to eat something prior to the game? Maybe a bloody mary or two? Sorry to sound ignorant, but need address and directions.

Can anyone still park at the stadium or do you need some special pass? I used to always park in a church parking lot about 10 blocks away and walk in.....this time I'm bringing my wife.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
ENJOY! You can park very close to the stadium, and, depending on your idea of fun, have a wealth of opportunities. I like to park to the northeast of the stadium at the Stadium Bakery. It's $25 to park, but you can get out very quickly after the game (as long as you don't get yourself trapped in the lot) by jumping right onto Lombardi Ave. and then onto 41 and you're gone before most people get in their cars.

Tailgating is the bomb in that area too. Across the street, you can take in some music and get in the spirit of the morning at the Stadium Bar.

Since it's been 8 years since you've been to a game, I'd recommend you and your wife go to the Atrium and spend some time checking out the shrine that is the new Lambeau Field. The Atrium is in the stadium on the East side, where the Pro Shop and the larger-than-life statues of Curly Lambeau and The Man, Vince Lombardi , and includes a nice pub called Curly's. They have great Bloody Mary's if you imbibe in the occasional beverage... Also, the Packer Hall of Fame is a great experience, and it's just a nice atmosphere in there. There are a bunch of interactive football games for kids and much going on.

Ballboy
10-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks so far for the info.

Where are you wallbanger?

I was going to check out the new digs....I read somewhere that they open at 8am.

Anymore info would be great!!

FavreChild
10-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I always park for free on the streets, and can get out easy on Ashland. Usually we take Holmgren Way, then a right on Morris to park in the neighborhood. Then after the game, you keep heading down Morris to run into Ashland, where you can catch 41 or 43.

You are also in a nice parking spot to walk to the Stadium View, etc., for excellent tailgating.

On the walk toward the stadium on Armed Forces Drive, there is also a stand (just after the Days Inn) that sells HUGE, excellent Bloody Mary's. Perfect for completing the walk to Lambeau!

Tarlam!
10-23-2006, 11:52 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: J E A L O U S ! ! ! SOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I always park for free on the streets, and can get out easy on Ashland.

No question. If your goal is to get in and out, or just to hit the attractions and not tailgate, then don't bother paying the $20-25 to park at the stadium. You can park 4-5 blocks away on city streets for free. All but the last game I've gone to I parked on city streets. Finally brought a grill, bought some brats, etc. and tailgated the last time I went.

I'm in the Twin Cities, but I'll be at the game with superfan. We plan on meeting up with Bretsky and GBR for the game.

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi Ballboy!

I live in GB, so if there is any additional info that you need, feel free to drop me a PM.

Anyhow, my tailgating group seems to be getting bigger by the day, which is awesome. The more the merrier! In fact, if you'd like to join us, you are more than welcome to.

We stopped tailgating in the stadium lot after the renovation. In fact, up until last season, the public was not allowed to park in the lot unless they had a season parking pass. Well, they now allow a limited amount of people to park in the lot again, but we've already adopted a new tailgating place, at a sports bar called the Sideline Sports Bar. It's right across the street from the GB Bakery that Red mentioned. It's the closest bar to the stadium and IMO, the most fun. Right on the other side is a huge parking lot attached to Kmart, so there are tons of tailgaters over there.

As far as getting out, no place is really better than another. The GB Police Dept do a fantastic job on getting people on their way. My take on the situation is to go back to the cars and relax a bit rather than sitting in traffic. However, I have a 2 minute car ride home, too...so I'm never in any hurry!

But like others have said, if you want to walk around and take in the sights, don't waste your money on paying for parking. You can park for free if you don't mind a 5-6 block walk. Which I prefer NOT to do if it's below 50 degrees :mrgreen:

Harv - I will find out the final plans of our tailgating tonight. I have a hunch that we're gonna scrap the Marty's idea and just tailgate in the Sideline Sports Bar lot. I'll keep u posted though.

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Eating Seafood before a footbal game ? That seems like a non Green Bay/Packer like thing to do.

You can't grill seafood over fire :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 06:38 PM
You can't??? :shock:

packinpatland
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Eating Seafood before a footbal game ? That seems like a non Green Bay/Packer like thing to do.

Us Yankees from New England can and do grill seafood!!

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Did it in Florida too.

vince
10-23-2006, 07:29 PM

I grill cajun-seasoned bacon-wrapped scallops and jumbo shrimp before almost every game. They absolutely melt in your mouth!

packinpatland
10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
My mouth is watering! Be a bit more specific on exactly how season those scallops and shrimp.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Actually, I was really warming up to the idea of seafood and beer for $22.50. :glug:

Patler
10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Seafood??? Can you roll it in a bun with sauerkraut and mustard? :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok, now that made me a little queasy...

superfan
10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm up for whatever. I think we have a time change next weekend, which forces us to make a difficult decision.

1) An extra hour of sleep
or
2) An extra hour of pregame tailgating

I'm inclined to vote #2.

Ballboy, PM any one of us who will be at the game if you want to try to meet up somewhere, before or after the game.

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 07:47 PM

Um, sir B...there are other things besides brats that you can put on a grill! :wink:

Harv, it doesn't really matter to me which place we go. I will tell you though, it won't be as crowded at Marty's vs. if we went tailgating and had people all around us. if we go the tailgating route, I'll probably have everyone pitch in $10 ea and I'll take care of getting all the food. For drinks, everyone will bring their own because there is such a variety of what people will want.

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Slimy Brats, Slimy Burgers, Polish Sausage, Italian Sausage, 1/4 LB Dogs
Football Food :mrgreen:

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Actually, I was really warming up to the idea of seafood and beer for $22.50. :glug:

Don't tell the football tailgating gods, but if I wasn't with a tailgating family I just might go this route too.

B

superfan
10-23-2006, 07:51 PM

GBR, there's your shopping list. :D

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 07:52 PM

I grill cajun-seasoned bacon-wrapped scallops and jumbo shrimp before almost every game. They absolutely melt in your mouth!

Sounds dam good Vince; where do you live again :mrgreen:
that's a party I'd enjoy crashing.

Cheers,
B

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 07:52 PM

GBR, there's your shopping list. :D

Did I forget about the Miller girls :mrgreen:

vince
10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Noting wrong with a spicy Hungarian Sausage to get you ready for some football either.

superfan
10-23-2006, 07:55 PM

I just assumed you were providing them, but we can send GBR for them too. :taunt:

Fun new emoticons, BTW.

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
how about brats and chili? I can do without the lips and assholes (hotdogs as B mentioned) lol

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 08:06 PM

I just assumed you were providing them, but we can send GBR for them too. :taunt:

Fun new emoticons, BTW.

Actually I think they are at Anduzzi's the night before the game. It might be the Bud girls though. I am not sure.

vince
10-23-2006, 08:53 PM

Fun new emoticons, BTW.
YEah, so what's up with this one? :bs: It's called "bs"... :shtf:

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice! Sh!t hitting the fan.

:shtf:

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 10:08 PM

Fun new emoticons, BTW.

Actually I think they are at Anduzzi's the night before the game. It might be the Bud girls though. I am not sure.

HMMMMMM; WONDER HOW MUCH A TAXI TO GB WOULD BE ?

CAN I CRASH SOMEWHERE IF I BRING TWO MILLER GIRLS ALONG :razz: :twisted: :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
CAN I CRASH SOMEWHERE IF I BRING TWO MILLER GIRLS ALONG

That goes without saying. You and superfan could share some carpet.

digitaldean
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I always park for free on the streets, and can get out easy on Ashland. Usually we take Holmgren Way, then a right on Morris to park in the neighborhood. Then after the game, you keep heading down Morris to run into Ashland, where you can catch 41 or 43.

You are also in a nice parking spot to walk to the Stadium View, etc., for excellent tailgating.

On the walk toward the stadium on Armed Forces Drive, there is also a stand (just after the Days Inn) that sells HUGE, excellent Bloody Mary's. Perfect for completing the walk to Lambeau!

I park on the streets also. There is an ACE Hardware store (used to be a Sentry store) on Ridge Rd. Parked behind there for free and everyone tailgates behind the store. Getting out is fairly easy, since one of the intersections out is manned by a traffic cop.

But I've had to get there by no later than 8:30 or the spots are all scarfed up. If you don't want to cook out, there's always Krull's about 3 blocks north (directly west of the stadium).

Have to admit, though, parking and tailgating at the stadium with my wife's and uncles in the late 90's was the best.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Have to admit, though, parking and tailgating at the stadium with my wife's and uncles in the late 90's was the best.

Your wife's? Are you related to Scott Campbell?
:jig:

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
But I've had to get there by no later than 8:30 or the spots are all scarfed up. If you don't want to cook out, there's always Krull's about 3 blocks north (directly west of the stadium).

I'm assuming you mean Kroll's. Yeah, that is the most pricey place to park, they charge $30 there.

I tend you agree with you about tailgating before the renovation. I don't know exactly how many spots they lost. I want to say about 700, but am not sure. It changed tailgating though, things are more spread out now. I know the surrounding bars and residences like it though. I have a friend who owns a double lot 1 block from Lombardi/Ridge. She parks 80 cars each game there at $20 ea. Let's see here... 10 home games, at $1600 a game... that's $16,000 of non-taxable income. Nice chunk of change.

FavreChild
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
But I've had to get there by no later than 8:30 or the spots are all scarfed up.

I have parked as late as 10 a.m. (or two hours before the assigned game time) at the spot I mentioned. The same is true for the neighborhood to the left on Oneida (you'd want to turn left into the neighborhood by the time you reach Sammy's pizza).

Once, I even found a great free spot on the street when I arrived AFTER the game started (the guy I was dating at the time was TWO HOURS LATE in picking me up for the drive to Green Bay because he was hungover. Needless to say, I dumped him).

Of course, ideally, you get to GB at least three hours ahead of kick-off for maximum tailgating. :cool:

BF4MVP
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll have to stop by and hang out with you guys.

I'll be wearing my Favre jersey though, not my Fergie one. It's a home game.

digitaldean
10-23-2006, 10:34 PM

Your wife's? Are you related to Scott Campbell?
:jig:

No quite un-Mormon.

TYPO!!!

Should have deleted the "and" by the uncles. :oops: :oops:

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM

It's ok if you want to bring your Fergie jersey.

It will be cold outside AND I will have a lighter. :flm:

Bretsky
10-23-2006, 10:42 PM

It's ok if you want to bring your Fergie jersey.

It will be cold outside AND I will have a lighter. :flm:

I'll bring the gas; GREAT IDEA

A Ferguson Jersey Ceromony !!!!!!!!!!

Now that'd be something I'd never forget.

B

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
damn straight! and of course we'd get pictures and have a great story to go along with it. How would that be for a PR exclusive?? :mrgreen:

Ballboy
10-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the great info.

Does the Stadium Bar or any of the other places you talk about serve food early in the AM? I'm planning on being at some spot no later than 9am to have a few beverages........but I'll need some food so I will remember the game!!

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2006, 09:08 AM
There will be food available pretty much as early as you can get there.

GBRulz
10-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the great info.

Does the Stadium Bar or any of the other places you talk about serve food early in the AM? I'm planning on being at some spot no later than 9am to have a few beverages........but I'll need some food so I will remember the game!!

I'm not sure what place you are talking about when you reference the Stadium Bar. Are you talking about Stadium View? or that bar across from the stadium bakery that Red referenced earlier? (Sideline Sports Bar)

It really depends on which place you're talking about. Some bars serve food starting at 10 am BUT have a very limited menu. Some don't serve food at all and instead have food available outside under a tent. yes, a couple places set up tents with brats, burgers, fries, beer and live music under the tent.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Bretsky's crew should have a sign that reads "PACKER RATS" at their tailgate party.
:glug:

Rastak
10-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Bretsky's crew should have a sign that reads "PACKER RATS" at their tailgate party.
:glug:

Now it's my turn to be jealous...I'll take over for Tarlem on that. I bet you guys have a great time. GB should most likely win the game (it's the NFL so who knows for sure). Sounds like the tailgate will be a blast....although GBRulz mentioned something about tailgating in a bar....that ain't tailgating..... :wink: ....that's drinking in a bar!

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Now it's my turn to be jealous...I'll take over for Tarlem on that. I bet you guys have a great time. GB should most likely win the game (it's the NFL so who knows for sure). Sounds like the tailgate will be a blast....although GBRulz mentioned something about tailgating in a bar....that ain't tailgating..... :wink: ....that's drinking in a bar!

That's just the starters. To get some grub and a couple of beers. We'll head over the stadium long before it starts.

Rastak
10-26-2006, 07:28 PM

That's just the starters. To get some grub and a couple of beers. We'll head over the stadium long before it starts.

Well have fun...although I'm sure you will.

mmmdk
10-26-2006, 08:30 PM
You all have fun now :razz: I'm working on my story from the Rams game. Somehow I thought I could giftwrap a story in a jiffy yet I find myself working extra (at hospital) to pay for the trip to Lambeau...and the next one (to Lambeau) :mrgreen: I think my story is getting giftwrapped in Christmas paper these days, I should be able to hold that time schedule.

MJZiggy
10-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Puts mmmdk down (in ink) for article by Christmas... :cool: will that include pictures? Oh wait...no need for shades in December. :glug: There. That's better.

mmmdk
10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Puts mmmdk down (in ink) for article by Christmas... :cool: will that include pictures? Oh wait...no need for shades in December. :glug: There. That's better.

Yes, with pictures. I've got a great one with me in front of Lombardi outside the Atrium with 2 mini Hawk fans. I met many great people in Green Bay. There's no doubt; I'll be back!!! :mrgreen:

MadtownPacker
10-27-2006, 11:56 AM

I can't believe this one hasnt been responded to, so much possibility!

Sounds like it will be a great time. Who is bringing the "party :cool: favors"?

superfan
10-27-2006, 09:40 PM

That was a great line. I could think up a few responses, but didn't want the thread to end up in the GC.

Bretsky
10-27-2006, 10:29 PM

Are you referring to GBM's girlfriends ?? haha

GBRulz
10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Yes, I have some hot friends. I'd tell you they were married, but that would probably interest you even more!