PDA

View Full Version : I like Dave Rayner!!!!

BlueBrewer
10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
How about this kid, knocks home 4 field goals yesterday, only two counted but man, a 55 yarder that looked easy. He is quickly making me forget about Shortwell. Applause to TT on this one. :D

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. Nice kickoffs as well.

Patler
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Hitting the 55 yarder was impressive, but nailing the 40 yarder immediately after the disappointment of have the record 55 yarder taken away was maybe even more impressive. You need you fieldgoal kicker to be cool under pressure like that!

bbbffl66
10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
That must have been some wind though. Both kickers were putting kickoffs out of the end zone. That doesn't take anything away from Rayners kicks. He was awesome!!

GoPack06
10-23-2006, 02:51 PM
he looks like he's having fun too. young kid big leg.

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree, I like this kid, too.

I wonder what our opponents average starting field position is with Rayner vs. what it was with Longwell. It seemed his short kickoffs always had teams starting at their own 35-40 yard line. Of course, part of the blame goes to ST coverage, but even a great ST can only do so much when your kicker can't kick past the 10 yard line.

BF4MVP
10-23-2006, 03:30 PM
I am a Dave Rayner fan. Very nice pick-up.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 03:33 PM
This are my not so official statistics:

Rayner in 2006

Kickoff average: 67.7
Touchbacks: 8
Kickoff return average: 20.2
Average starting field position for opponents: 22.4

Longwell in 2005

Kickoff average: 60.9
Touchbacks: 3
Kickoff return average: 21.6
Average starting field position for opponents: 30.5

Longwell in 2004

Kickoff average: 58.6
Touchbacks: 2
Kickoff return average: 20.2
Average starting field position for opponents: 31.6

Rayner's may go down as the weather gets worse. It may not. It depends a lot on the wind. However, this shows a staggering improvement on starting field position of 8 yards/kickoff from 2005 and 9 yards/kickoff from 2004.

Patler
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
All he has to do is kick a couple game winners on the Packers' last possessions in a few games and Longwell will soon be forgotten, just as everyone forgot Jacke quite quickly (even though Longwell did not have game winners for a few years). Of course, if he misses those same kicks........ :sad:

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Longwell missed a game winning 20 yarder in his 2nd game with the Pack, right? Vs. the Eagles. I'd give Rayner a break if he struggles early on them. I suspect he might not be half bad--considering he seems to have an ideal "makeup" for a kicker. I figured he'd been inconsistent, and he still probably will be--especially when the weather turns bad. However, he's been much better than I thought, and I think long-term he may turn out to be one of the better kickers in the league. We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic. He's missed one really makeable kick, and that was from 45 yards. He's shown that he can make 54-55 yarders outdoors with ease. The Packer fans in Green Bay likely have never seen the caliber of his leg on kickoffs. Well, kicking for the Packers anyways. I wonder what the team record for touchbacks is. He already has 8 of them this year.

Patler
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Rayner's may go down as the weather gets worse. It may not. It depends a lot on the wind. However, this shows a staggering improvement on starting field position of 8 yards/kickoff from 2005 and 9 yards/kickoff from 2004.

I have no doubt that Rayner will have a better distance average than Longwell for the whole year, but you hit the fairness issue on the head with the comment above. Things can change drastically with a few Nov and Dec games in Lambeau and Soldier Field. Heck, they might have a blizzard in Buffalo in two weeks!

Patler
10-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Longwell missed a game winning 20 yarder in his 2nd game with the Pack, right? Vs. the Eagles. I'd give Rayner a break if he struggles early on them. I suspect he might not be half bad--considering he seems to have an ideal "makeup" for a kicker. I figured he'd been inconsistent, and he still probably will be--especially when the weather turns bad. However, he's been much better than I thought, and I think long-term he may turn out to be one of the better kickers in the league. We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic. He's missed one really makeable kick, and that was from 45 yards. He's shown that he can make 54-55 yarders outdoors with ease. The Packer fans in Green Bay likely have never seen the caliber of his leg on kickoffs. Well, kicking for the Packers anyways. I wonder what the team record for touchbacks is. He already has 8 of them this year.

I'm optimistic now about Rayner, too. I was concerned early, because several of his misses were "bad" misses, not really even close. But recently, even some of his longer kicks have been quite "down the middle", really good looking kicks. He's young enough that he could get better and better for several years. So far, so good!

Little Whiskey
10-23-2006, 03:52 PM
he looked a little pissed after the facemask call that brought back his 40 yarder be for the half. I still don't understand the call that made him rekick the 55yarder. why wasn't it a penelty that could have been refused??

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Because it was a penalty before the snap and the whistle had blown the play dead before he kicked it.

Little Whiskey
10-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Because it was a penalty before the snap and the whistle had blown the play dead before he kicked it.

why though??? i've never heard that penelty before. unless a defensman touches a member of the offese or is "unabatted" toward the qb, i have never heard of a penalty that stops the play.

oregonpackfan
10-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I couldn't agree more. Nice kickoffs as well.

MJZiggy,

I think your point about the great kickoffs is excellent. Rayner had at least 2 touchbacks yesterday along with deep kickoffs. That alone made the transition from Longwell a plus.

Needless to say, he looked great on his field goal attempts.

OPF

BobDobbs
10-23-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm definitely happy with the new kicker, but that is mainly because he was such an unknown commodity as opposed to Longwell. I thought letting Longwell go was a curious decision because kickers don't break the bank and we have huge money under the cap. He may have gone to the dome no matter what, but TT did not make him a competitive offer.
I'm loving the depth on kickoffs, but I miss Longwell's dependability. If it was under 45 yards no matter what situation in the game I had great confidence that he was going to split the uprights. The downside is that Longwell wouldn't have even been called in for the 55 yarder. So, I have been converted. For a team building for the future TT made the right choice.

For a team with playoff aspirations......

Willard
10-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Did you catch the shot of him on the sidelines laughing it up when Mare missed the 52-yarder for the phins? Hopefully that doesn't piss-off the kicking karma gods! :lol:

packinpatland
10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Aha! We have a weapon! It'll be interesting to see how he does when the wind and the snow start blowing.

vince
10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Did you catch the shot of him on the sidelines laughing it up when Mare missed the 52-yarder for the phins? Hopefully that doesn't piss-off the kicking karma gods! :lol:
I'd say he was more joyous about the team becoming closer to a much-needed win than he was laughing at the failure of a comrade... but that's how I took it...

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 07:56 PM
You guys bring up a valid point about the weather, but that is something that always irritated me about Longwell. The way he went on and on about kicking in GB, you'd think it was 5 below and snowing every game. Again, a valid point, but I think people sometimes look too much into it....(thanks to Longwell's whining).

Our winters have been VERY mild over the past few years. The temps normally are still in the 50's until December. (Although I'm not sure what's going on this past week, brrr) On average we have 2 games in December. Anyhow, Rayner's kickoff's probably will shorten up a bit, but his average, along with the average starting of opponents may decrease a yard, at the most.

Ya know what was a refreshing change, though? Did you see M3 turn to his kicker and ask if it was in his range?? It's awesome that the coach has confidence in his kicker for that long. You wouldn't see that from Sherm with Longwell.

Charles Woodson
10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
That must have been some wind though. Both kickers were putting kickoffs out of the end zone. That doesn't take anything away from Rayners kicks. He was awesome!!

I was at the game, and there was barely any wind..It was all him. also helped that it was warm :worship:

FavreChild
10-23-2006, 08:05 PM
In all fairness to Longwell, the kicking game was more highly scrutinized in recent years because there were not as many things to pick on. He was asked about his missed kicks, especially last year with the shock of 4-12 and that we *were* losing games by margins of three points or less.

Even if Rayner wasn't doing such a good job, we probably wouldn't be complaining about the FG unit TOO much, given that there are bigger problems to be solved.

Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers in the history of the NFL, and the Packers all-time leading scorer! I wouldn't like being scapegoated if I were him, either.

Just sayin'... :cool:

GBRulz
10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
In all fairness to Longwell, the kicking game was more highly scrutinized in recent years because there were not as many things to pick on. He was asked about his missed kicks, especially last year with the shock of 4-12 and that we *were* losing games by margins of three points or less.

Even if Rayner wasn't doing such a good job, we probably wouldn't be complaining about the FG unit TOO much, given that there are bigger problems to be solved.

Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers in the history of the NFL, and the Packers all-time leading scorer! I wouldn't like being scapegoated if I were him, either.

Just sayin'... :cool:

Longwell was an accurate kicker for us, I don't think anyone here is taking that away from him. But for kickoff's, Rayner wins hands down.

Scapegoated? Personally, the only one I see in that situation would be the holders...

Joemailman
10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
It certainly is true that Rayner is under less scrutiny than Longwell would be. Rayner missed a 45 yarder in a 3-point loss to St. Louis, and it seemed it hardly got mentioned. That would not have been the case with Longwell because we just expected him to make those.

Having said that, I really like Rayner. He is at least as good as Longwell was as a rookie, with that 45 yard miss being his only miss under 50 yards. He should only get better.

Rastak
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
It certainly is true that Rayner is under less scrutiny than Longwell would be. Rayner missed a 45 yarder in a 3-point loss to St. Louis, and it seemed it hardly got mentioned. That would not have been the case with Longwell because we just expected him to make those.

Having said that, I really like Rayner. He is at least as good as Longwell was as a rookie, with that 45 yard miss being his only miss under 50 yards. He should only get better.

Very good point...but I also think Rayner has been pretty good. If he pans out, you guys are lucky as hell, finding good kickers ain;t that easy.

Patler
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Ya know what was a refreshing change, though? Did you see M3 turn to his kicker and ask if it was in his range?? It's awesome that the coach has confidence in his kicker for that long. You wouldn't see that from Sherm with Longwell.

Now, now, lets be fair! Longwell was 4 for 5 from beyond 50 yards just last season and was 6 for 8 in the last two seasons with GB. He didn't back away from long fieldgoals in decent conditions, but he determined his range at each end of the field, just as Rayner did Sunday, and didn't stray from it. Rayner's FG range may be a bit longer than Longwell's, but Longwell had two 53 yarders last year and was 4 for 4 with FGs from 53, 51, 46 and 23 in one game against Atlanta. With the Packers, he was 13 of 22 from beyond 50. Interestingly, I see he is 0 for 2 this year.

MJZiggy
10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
M3 said in today's press conference that he had planned to let him try up to 60 yards. I'd say he's got faith in that leg.

Rastak
10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
M3 said in today's press conference that he had planned to let him try up to 60 yards. I'd say he's got faith in that leg.

Ah, but how many TD passes does he have?

:wink: :lol:

vince
10-23-2006, 08:47 PM

Ah, but how many TD passes does he have?

:wink: :lol:
LOL. He'll probably NEVER catch Longwell in that department.