PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland CB tears tendons in BOTH knees on same play!

Patler
10-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Wow!
Gary Baxter tore the patellar tendons in both knees on the same play. What a devastating situation. With no good leg rehab will be tough.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/9747066

bbbffl66
10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
That hurt just to read about!

GoPack06
10-23-2006, 02:49 PM
thats rough. What is up with Clevland, is there like something in the contract when you sign there you gotta have torn knee ligaments.

Sparkey
10-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I predict that over the next several years, you will see more and more injuries of this type. Guys have gotten so strong and are putting so much stress on the non-muscle connecting tissues.

The stronger they get, the higher the risk of a catastrophic injury to ligaments and tendons, which can not be strengthened.

On a related note. Back in 2002 I broke my right kneecap playing softball. Fortunately there was nearly zero soft tissue damage to the patella tendon, however. Being in a leg immobilizer for 8 weeks was brutal and the rehab was agonizing as well. Can't imagine rehabbing both legs at the same time.

red
10-23-2006, 05:12 PM
this sounds a lot like the guy many years ago that went to jump for a pass at the old vet and ended up blowing out both knees

digitaldean
10-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow!
Gary Baxter tore the patellar tendons in both knees on the same play. What a devastating situation. With no good leg rehab will be tough.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/9747066

Coach Romeo Crennel estimates at least a 1 year rehab.

Boy, with both knees, wouldn't sound more like a "career-ender"?

FritzDontBlitz
10-24-2006, 02:28 AM
this sounds a lot like the guy many years ago that went to jump for a pass at the old vet and ended up blowing out both knees

that was a guy for the chicago bears. i'm pretty sure it was db leslie frazier. his career was over the day it happened. hopefully medicine has progressed far enough nowadays to overcome that.

NewsBruin
10-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Dude, and he was a Baylor Bear, too. Suck.

Well, it can be fixed, at least on one leg. Ahman is proof of that, although I'd have never believed it.

The only double-quad blowout I can think of is Vince McMahon of WWE, who tore one quad sliding into a ring and then tore the other quad trying not to sell the first torn quad. He rehabbed like crazy and still does the occasional wrestling match, but it's hard comparing a 60-year-old supplement freak who only sees occasional action to an NFL cornerback.

TravisWilliams23
10-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I believe it was Mike Quick, a wide receiver for the Eagles who tore both knees at the same time.

Sparkey
10-26-2006, 09:07 AM
a 60-year-old supplement freak.

Hehe, that is a nice way of putting it. lol