PDA

View Full Version : Mann, Packers' first black player, dies at 82

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Mann, Packers' first black player, dies at 82
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - Bob Mann, the first African-American to play in a league game for the Green Bay Packers and the player the Detroit Lions traded for future Hall of Fame quarterback Bobby Layne, died Saturday at the age of 82.

Mann, a wide receiver, broke racial barriers throughout his career, joining Melvin Groomes in 1948 to become the Lions' first African-American players and then signing with the Packers in 1950.

Before Gene Ronzani took over from Curly Lambeau as head coach of the Packers, the club had never had an African-American player even though the color barrier had been broken years before in the National Football League. Ronzani became coach in 1950 and signed Mann after he had been released by the New York Yankees.

In 1951, Mann led the Packers with 50 catches for 696 yards and eight touchdowns. He played from 1950-'54 with the Packers and caught 109 passes for 1,629 yards and 17 touchdowns during that time.

When he first got to Green Bay, Mann said he was treated well despite joining a team that had never had an African-American player.

"I remember walking into the dressing room," Mann once said of his first day. "It was quiet, but everybody was friendly. Almost all the guys came up and greeted me. I think (Tony) Canadeo was one of the first guys. I remember going out and having (Tobin) Rote throw me some passes. The first pass he overthrew and I caught it with one hand. He said, 'Nice catch.' I knew from his expression he was pleased to have someone else to throw to."

Packers historian Lee Remmel said Mann's signing was a fairly big deal in 1950, but not the equivalent of Jackie Robinson breaking the racial barrier in baseball. The Packers had had two African-American players - lineman Jim Thomas and running back Jim Clark - in training camp in '50, but neither made the team.

After joining the Lions out of the University of Michigan, Mann set a club record for receptions with 66 in 1949 and became its first 1,000-yard receiver, leading the NFL with 1,014 yards. The next year, the Lions traded him to New York for Layne, who went on to lead the Lions to three NFL championships.

After his NFL career ended, Mann became a lawyer and led his own firm in Detroit for more than 30 years.

Rastak
10-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Mann, Packers' first black player, dies at 82
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - Bob Mann, the first African-American to play in a league game for the Green Bay Packers and the player the Detroit Lions traded for future Hall of Fame quarterback Bobby Layne, died Saturday at the age of 82.

Mann, a wide receiver, broke racial barriers throughout his career, joining Melvin Groomes in 1948 to become the Lions' first African-American players and then signing with the Packers in 1950.

Before Gene Ronzani took over from Curly Lambeau as head coach of the Packers, the club had never had an African-American player even though the color barrier had been broken years before in the National Football League. Ronzani became coach in 1950 and signed Mann after he had been released by the New York Yankees.

In 1951, Mann led the Packers with 50 catches for 696 yards and eight touchdowns. He played from 1950-'54 with the Packers and caught 109 passes for 1,629 yards and 17 touchdowns during that time.

When he first got to Green Bay, Mann said he was treated well despite joining a team that had never had an African-American player.

"I remember walking into the dressing room," Mann once said of his first day. "It was quiet, but everybody was friendly. Almost all the guys came up and greeted me. I think (Tony) Canadeo was one of the first guys. I remember going out and having (Tobin) Rote throw me some passes. The first pass he overthrew and I caught it with one hand. He said, 'Nice catch.' I knew from his expression he was pleased to have someone else to throw to."

Packers historian Lee Remmel said Mann's signing was a fairly big deal in 1950, but not the equivalent of Jackie Robinson breaking the racial barrier in baseball. The Packers had had two African-American players - lineman Jim Thomas and running back Jim Clark - in training camp in '50, but neither made the team.

After joining the Lions out of the University of Michigan, Mann set a club record for receptions with 66 in 1949 and became its first 1,000-yard receiver, leading the NFL with 1,014 yards. The next year, the Lions traded him to New York for Layne, who went on to lead the Lions to three NFL championships.

After his NFL career ended, Mann became a lawyer and led his own firm in Detroit for more than 30 years.

Nice article Harvey........

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
"He was on the small side. He wasn't a big receiver but he was a very nifty, productive receiver," Packers historian Lee Remmel said. "He was very professional in his approach to the game. He was a man of great dignity."

Badgerinmaine
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the post. May he rest in peace.