PDA

View Full Version : Kampman

Patler
10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Kampman is tied for third in sacks with 6.5.
Peppers leads with 8, but has played 7 games. Taylor is second with 7, also in 7 games.

For those who say Kampman is consistent, he has had at least a partial sack in every game so far except Detroit.. (3 vs N.O.; 1 against each the Bears, St. Louis and Miami and 0.5 against the Eagles). Peppers and Taylor have each been shutout in 2 games.

Kampman is also tied for fourth among D-linemen in solo tackles.

Good to see the money hasn't gotten in way of his performance!

Partial
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Do you think Kampman is the kind of end you can build a team around Patler? Do you consider defensive end a position we need to upgrade to reach the top?

Freak Out
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
We need another DE that can push the damn tackle back into the QB if need be and add some muscle against the run. KGB is just to inconsistent. DE has been a need since Mr. White left.

Partial
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
We need another DE that can push the damn tackle back into the QB if need be and add some muscle against the run. KGB is just to inconsistent. DE has been a need since Mr. White left.

Statistically, though, Kampman is a top-tier DE in the league. Is that a mirage or what exactly do his numbers mean? I am not trying to criticize, I am honestly unsure of how to size up a DE because this seems like it could have be one of those rare times where the statistics lie.

Pack_Attack
10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Kampman had 21 sacks in madden for me last season!! He is awesome!!!! :lol:

ahaha
10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
The Packers need a disruptive force on the d-line, whether it be a DE or a DT. Right now they're a mediocre bunch, not bad, but not good. With one special guy on the d-line, our defense could improve dramatically.

Partial
10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
The Packers need a disruptive force on the d-line, whether it be a DE or a DT. Right now they're a mediocre bunch, not bad, but not good. With one special guy on the d-line, our defense could improve dramatically.

But is that true? Statistically, Kampman is one of the best.

Astonishment
10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
IMO Kampman is a very, very good 2nd DE. If you have two players at his level you are in fine shape, but ideally he should be your 2nd best DE. Unfortunately for us we really don't have anything on the other side.

ahaha
10-24-2006, 12:50 PM
If we had a beast on the inside, like Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris, or Jamal Brown, I think our DE's would look pretty good.

Chester Marcol
10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Statistically, though, Kampman is a top-tier DE in the league. Is that a mirage or what exactly do his numbers mean? I am not trying to criticize, I am honestly unsure of how to size up a DE because this seems like it could have be one of those rare times where the statistics lie.

I think that stat speaks more about Kampman than our D-line as a whole. Kampman is a smart player. Unlike KGB who doesn't seem to change his attack, Kampman can adjust and setup the offensive tackles for different moves. I will agree that Kampman is a very good #2 DE, but I think is merely average as the main DE. A great DE will make the guy at the other end better. Kampman is good, but I don't see him taking attention away from the other end of the D-line. If we can get that #1 end to replace KGB, both Kampman and whoever that #1 end may be will benefit from each other.

Kind of like us being top of the Passing D stats last year. Alone it seems a good thing. As a part of the big picture, not quite as impressive. The team as a whole is 7th in sacks this year, but dead last in passing yards allowed.

Willard
10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
What I like about AK is that he is improving every year. Going off memory I think he had 3.5 sacks in '04, and 6.5 sacks in '05. This year he already has 6.5 sacks after 6 games. Our defense will become good only if other young players continue to get better each year. KGB seems to have stalled in terms of improvement, but I still have high hopes for Williams, Jenkins, Cole, Montgomery, Pop, Hawk, Barnett, Hodge, Collins, Blackmon and Underwood.

TT's plan of building through the draft will only work if we develop the young players into pro bowl caliber players. Not every player can be counted on to achieve this growth through hard work and high effort. For many it takes good coaching. This is why it is so frustrating to see somebody like Schots to get rehired by the Pack after stinking up the joint 2 years ago!

oregonpackfan
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I agree that Kampson had a very good game against Miami and that his year has been solid.

The question I ask is, "Where the heck was KJB in the Miami game?" I cannot remember hearing his name called once.

OPF

mraynrand
10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
I think you'd really hav to break down film to see how good Kamp is. If he's eltite, you'd answer yes to the following: Is he getting a lot of double teams? Is he splitting double teams? Is is he beating guys on quick moves and raw physical power or a combination? It seems he makes a number of his plays after setting a guy up for a while. I gotta look at the film, but I bet he's on the low end of these elite 'measureables.' In short, he's very good, but I suspect he's not really changing the game plan of the other team.

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Kampman has been better than KGB the last year and a half, but I still get a kick out of the love for Kamp and the hate for KGB. KGB works just as hard as Kampman. He's gotten the most out of his LB frame. He has more than one move. He just doesn't have the bulk needed to be a great all around DE. Kampman got 1 sack in the last game. KGB got 0 sacks. KGB had 5 pressures. Kampman had 3 1/2. Yet people act like Kampman was dominant while KGB completely sucked. People used to criticize KGB because he'd get a sack and little else. Kampman is praised for it--like in this game. He didn't get consistent pressure either. I'd even venture to guess that KGB gets double-teamed more than Kampman to this day. Has there been a sack that Kampman had this year where he had to beat a double team? Probably not. Or a dominant OT? Maybe not. Two of his sacks against New Orleans came because the Saints inexplicably tried to block him one-on-one with a TE. If KGB had done the same thing, people would have said that he can beat a TE, but he sucks because he doesn't get consistent pressure. Unfortunately, we don't have DL that gets consistent pressure. We have DL that are decent. Some even solid. None, including Kampman, are better than solid. Don't get me wrong... Kampman is better at this point, and KGB appears to be on the downside, but people ripped KGB even when he had good years and when he was our ONLY pass rusher.

vince
10-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Kampman has been better than KGB the last year and a half, but I still get a kick out of the love for Kamp and the hate for KGB. KGB works just as hard as Kampman. He's gotten the most out of his LB frame. He has more than one move. He just doesn't have the bulk needed to be a great all around DE. Kampman got 1 sack in the last game. KGB got 0 sacks. KGB had 5 pressures. Kampman had 3 1/2. Yet people act like Kampman was dominant while KGB completely sucked. People used to criticize KGB because he'd get a sack and little else. Kampman is praised for it--like in this game. He didn't get consistent pressure either. I'd even venture to guess that KGB gets double-teamed more than Kampman to this day. Has there been a sack that Kampman had this year where he had to beat a double team? Probably not. Or a dominant OT? Maybe not. Two of his sacks against New Orleans came because the Saints inexplicably tried to block him one-on-one with a TE. If KGB had done the same thing, people would have said that he can beat a TE, but he sucks because he doesn't get consistent pressure. Unfortunately, we don't have DL that gets consistent pressure. We have DL that are decent. Some even solid. None, including Kampman, are better than solid. Don't get me wrong... Kampman is better at this point, and KGB appears to be on the downside, but people ripped KGB even when he had good years and when he was our ONLY pass rusher.
I think those two guys have the talent and strengths to hold down one spot. I realize Kampman's numbers are right up there, but I also agree with mraynrand's assessment. I also think KGB would be more effective in spot duty. If he were fresher, he'd play a lot faster than he is when he plays every down.

We get some sacks, but I'm not seeing consistent pressure. You're bound to get some coverage sacks when the other team throws the ball 60+ times...

IMO, a top-line DE, like Dwight Freeney (there's a brilliant deduction) would make our pass coverage more effective - and overall, our D would be far more effective. The Colts will probably franchise hime, but he's a guy to go after.

Sometimes stats don't give the whole story. I'm seeing that our lack of a consistent pass rush from the front 4 is hurting the effectiveness of our defense as a whole.