PDA

View Full Version : Another national writer has no clue!

sac2020
10-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Read the story for a while and when you get to point #2, you'll see how idiotic this guy. It's funny how Favre is lumped together with other crappy quarterbacks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgpjGd67J5YgwCejTZeOzs9DubYF?slug=cnnsi-everybodysdoing&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

ahaha
10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
This kind of thinking drives me nuts. Teams win Super Bowls because they're good on both sides of the ball. If it's all about defense, why didn't the Bears win the Super Bowl last year? How about the 80's Bears or Eagles?
Did the 80's 49ers and 90's Cowboys win because their defenses were the most dominant? They both had good defenses, but their offenses were the dominant force. It's called balance. You need to be good at both. Sometimes it's a good offense with a dominant defense, sometimes it's a good defense with an awesome offense.

mraynrand
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
"Others simply aren't effective (Drew Bledsoe in Dallas, Jake Plummer in Denver, Mark Brunell in Washington, Brett Favre in Green Bay and the recently demoted Kurt Warner in Arizona)"

---

Favre isn't effective? Perhaps, but this is another example of a guy who is just watching the QB. You have to look at the roster and the experience and skill level of all the guys on the offense to judge. Also, it helps to see if the offense benefits from a defense that gets the ball back frequently. The Bear's offense wouldn't look so hot playing with a crappy defense, for example.

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Favre had 0 TDs and 4 picks vs. Chicago and Philadelphia. One has the best defense in the league. The other has ALWAYS given him trouble. He didn't even play that bad in Chicago game. His picks were in the 4th quarter when the team was down 26-0. In the other 4 games, he has 9 TDs and 1 pick. Now, I don't think he's played as well as those stats, but he's still one of the best QBs in the league.

FritzDontBlitz
10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
"Others simply aren't effective (Drew Bledsoe in Dallas, Jake Plummer in Denver, Mark Brunell in Washington, Brett Favre in Green Bay and the recently demoted Kurt Warner in Arizona)"

---

Favre isn't effective? Perhaps, but this is another example of a guy who is just watching the QB. You have to look at the roster and the experience and skill level of all the guys on the offense to judge. Also, it helps to see if the offense benefits from a defense that gets the ball back frequently. The Bear's offense wouldn't look so hot playing with a crappy defense, for example.

i think the comment was used to support the idea that some qbs struggle against the best defenses. favre struggled vs chicago, but it had more to do with lack of protection than anything else. even with the two bad passing games vs chicago and philly i don't see favre as struggling, i see him as a qb forced to adapt to a ton of changes in the front office and on the field. it has little or nothing to do with the defenses he's seeing, because even in a bad season favre has consistently owned the bears for the most part - and the bears have always owned a top 10 defense.

Joemailman
10-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Favre is on a pace to throw for 3950 yards with 25 TD's and 13 INT's. This with an offense that is starting 3, and sometimes 4 rookies. His passer rating is only 22nd because his completion percentage is low. Who cares. That's like criticizing a baseball player with 100 RBI because he only hit .260.