PDA

View Full Version : As Brett Moves Up, So Do Packers

Pacopete4
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
The Packers went from 31 to 23 on the ESPN Power Rankings which is just crazy that all of a sudden we dont look that bad.

Brett Favre throws 2TDs, cracks 200yrds (barely), and makes no mistakes.. he cracks the top 10 moving into #9 from #13 a week ago.

I know 2-4 is not what we want, especially since us as Packer fans know we could at least be 3-3 or 4-2 if we would have cut out those costly mistake against the Saints & Rams, but are we on the rise for real? Or is it just a tease that we won another game. We have the Cards and Bills in the following 2 weeks.. how much with the nation change its view on the Packers looking the Vikes in the eye at 4-4?

Will we hear talk on how Brett Favre made the best decision blocking out the entire world, besides 95% of Packers, telling him.. "you're too old, you're not as good as you once were, your team stinks.. blah blah blah"?

Will we hear, what he is doing with this team is his greatest accomplishment yet?

Will they talk about McCarthy for rookie coach of the year for what he is doing with such a young team?

Will we take back some of the things (Not all) we said about TT about how he is running our team down the shitter?

Or will we faulter against 2 beatable teams and start thinking about a draft pick?

How bout get to 4-4 and not know how to handle it?

Just thought we should start talkin about some positives that could be happening and get some insight to what people think is going on?

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2006, 10:12 PM
I think a lot depends on the next two games. If they can manage to win these games (far from a given), then they have a very good chance at a respectable season. The schedule really isn't very difficult. New England and at Chicago is tough. Seattle might be without Hasselbeck and/or Alexander. I'm not sold on Minnesota. The other five games are Detroit, Jets, Buffalo, San Fran, and Arizona. Again, we have to win the next two before we even think about anything else.

MJZiggy
10-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm taking this season one first-down at a time.

BF4MVP
10-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Take it one game at a time, and hopefully we can surprise a lot of people. We do have a tissue paper schedule, after all.

GBRulz
10-24-2006, 10:47 PM
It still burns me how we should be 4-2 right now intead of 2-4. Plus winning the next two games..... sigh...

Joemailman
10-24-2006, 11:22 PM
This team has definitely improved, and should continue to get better as the season progresses. However, this is the youngest team in the league led by a rookie coach, so consistency will probably not be their trademark. I predicted this team would go 8-8 this season, which I guess put me in the Kool-Aid Krowd. I think this is still attainable. However, the Packers won't necessarily win the games you might expect. Look for them to pull an upset or two, and also lose to a couple teams we think they should beat.

VegasPackFan
10-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I predicted 6-10, but I figured that most of those wins would come late in the season as the team grows and improves.

GrnBay007
10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
I predicted this team would go 8-8 this season, which I guess put me in the Kool-Aid Krowd.

8-8 put you in the kool-aid crowd? wow, someone must have slipped some Everclear in my kool-aid. :shock:

:razz:

Joemailman
10-24-2006, 11:36 PM
I predicted this team would go 8-8 this season, which I guess put me in the Kool-Aid Krowd.

8-8 put you in the kool-aid crowd? wow, someone must have slipped some Everclear in my kool-aid. :shock:

:razz:

:glug: :glug: :glug:

Actually, I was referring to what SOV would consider the Kool-Aid Krowd, :mrgreen:

red
10-25-2006, 09:34 AM
i don't know how much the national media would give us credit for at this point. although we have been in some close games against very good teams, including 2 we should have won. we still lost them. and our only two wins have been against 2 of the most pathetic teams in the nfl.

and the next 2 weeks brings 2 more horrible teams. we could very well be 4-4 in two weeks. but all our wins will be against the 4 of the 5 worst teams in the nfl. so how much credit would they give us?

on the one hand, at least we're winning those close games, and the players are starting to play together better. on the other hand, in no way have we looked like a playoff team, IMO.

i do think we could end up 7-9 or even 8-8, which i would consider a great season for this team, after seeing what we started from

but even then, you would think the media would look at our schedule, and ask, who did they beat?

of course that could all change if we could win one or two of the other games, like seattle, the two minnesota games, the pats, or chicago

Chester Marcol
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Our defense gave up 24 points to the lowest scoring team in the NFL. When you say we are improving and will continue to improve, I can agree with that on the offense side. Brett is leading this offense and there is no mistaking that he is in control. Some of our drives are very reminiscent of the Holmgren years. Other drives remind us that we are still a young team and Favre can be off. That is the part that should improve. Unfortunately we do not have a team that can win shoot outs. Our offense is doing exactly what it needs to do to win games. Keeping games close and not making many costly mistakes. However, I can't imagine there are many fans here that feel comfortable unless we have a 2 score lead with under 2 minutes to play and we have the ball. I may be wrong. Maybe Harrington is really just that good. 381 yards passing. That could have been 500 if his recievers would have caught the ball.

Tarlam!
10-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Great thread.

I don't know if we're playing to our full potential now, or if we're just getting started. I do know I didn't feel comfortable until the referee said "that's the game".

As far as scoring 24 points against our defense, let's remember Colledge gave 'em a gift with a coupla sacks that led to unbelievable field position on the first TD. With more experience maybe that doesn't happen, or with a few days notice that you're playing LT.

run pMc
10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Joemailman wrote:

8-8 put you in the kool-aid crowd? wow, someone must have slipped some Everclear in my kool-aid.

I predicted 5-11, so I guess that means someone pissed in my Kool-Aid.

Seriously, I'm VERY worried about the ARI & BUF games...they aren't givens. ARI is a dangerous team right now. Depends on whether we see a desperate, hungry team show up or a team that's mailing it in.
Leinart is a good QB (for a rookie), and ARI passing game is a bad matchup for GB, with the way the secondary has played this year. If Dansby & Fitzgerald are out & Wilson and Dockett are hurt, that will help...ARI has talent. Their O line just can't play.

IMHO, for GB to win the game it comes down to not turning the ball over, stopping the run, and confusing/pressuring Leinart. It's probably the same formula for the BUF game.

If we're 4-4 in 2 weeks I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not very optimistic about some of the other games on the sked...NE, MIN & CHI are probably L's, maybe we steal one from MIN. NYJ are a tough out. SEA is a maybe, depending on Hasselbeck. I think Alexander will be back by then. GB beat them last year only because they rested their starters in the 2nd half. SF isn't a given, either...they are young like GB. I guess none of the games are gimme's like in years past, but the closest are DET, SF, and the next two.

Powderpuff schedules are tough for gauging how good a team is...compare CHI's schedule & record with their playoff game (at home!) last year...but you can only play who you're scheduled. Beating 1-win teams gets you out of the basement, but I don't know if it makes you a good team.