PDA

View Full Version : Mike Hawkins signed by Cleveland

Patler
10-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Hawkins replaced Gary Baxter on the roster. Baxter went to IR.

BF4MVP
10-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I wish him well. He's extremely gifted athletically, if nothing else.

Joemailman
10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Interesting they would replace an injured guy with Mike Hawkins. If Hawkins could stay healthy, he'd probably still be a Packer.

mraynrand
10-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Cleveland already had CB problems before the loss of Baxter. I was a bit surprised they didn't sign Carroll, given their apparent desire to lose every game they possibly can, all in horrible, excruciating fashion.

esoxx
10-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Hawkins has a chance to be decent just based on his physical gifts alone. What caused the Packers to give up on him was his toughness, or lack thereof. Still hasn't learned to play through stuff that is expected at this level and was turning down some contact in the pre-season. Packers want tough azz players nowadays and Hawkins didn't fit the profile.

BobDobbs
10-25-2006, 03:45 AM
I think the guy has athletic ability, but I never saw much that implied he could play. I remember after a Detroit game last year. Roy Williams called him out. Granted Roy is a talker, but he has consistently praised Al Harris. In that interview he even favorably compared Harris to Dre Bly, his own teammate. About Hawkins though, he said something like"He's terrible I could make catches against him all day."
Hawkins could run with people straight line, but he never made a play on the ball even in the preseason. He's not a football player. I always liked him and his story, I hope he's stacked away some of the money he's earned.

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I think Hawkins has a shot--if he has the toughness. Sure, he wasn't good in coverage, but there's nothing stopping him athletically from being an NFL corner. He's just so inexperienced.