PDA

View Full Version : Ponder this!

mmmdk
10-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Seahawks released KR Willie Ponder and signed QB Gibram Hamdan.

Hamdan's their third quarterback now while Matt Hasselbeck is hurt, behind Seneca Wallace and David Greene.

Stats for Kickoff Returns 2006

Willie Ponder No. 25, 587 yards, 23.5 avg., long 41, TD 0

Ponder took all Kickoff Returns for Seattle untill his release, a release promted by injury to Hasselbeck.

hurleyfan
10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I was hoping TT would grab Ponder at the start of the season.. Now that he's available again, I say if they can slot him, it would be a good thing. Get Woodson out of returning punts also...

MJZiggy
10-25-2006, 08:44 AM
but then you're back to the same old question: who do you cut to get him?

hurleyfan
10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
but then you're back to the same old question: who do you cut to get him?

That is a very good question!

Maybe the receiver they just brought up from the practice squad??

MJZiggy
10-25-2006, 09:01 AM
At this point, though, can you cut a receiver to sign a KR? We're not really deep at WR. Unless Ponder can play WR too?

Patler
10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
He doesn't fit well with the Packers injury situation right now. He seems to be exclusively a kickoff returner. While he is listed as a receiver, he had 7 receptions with NY in 2003, 1 in 2004, none in 2005. In six games with Seattle he had no receptions. He does not return punts.

He's a luxury that a top team can use, as long as they are healthy.

hurleyfan
10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
True Patler...

It if TT could've grabbed him before the season started when they were searching for a returner, a known "NEED" then, he could've gotten some reps as a WR.

red
10-25-2006, 09:22 AM
didn't we just have this discusion in another thread about the new guy

that #4 and #5 wr and all the guys low on the depth chart are just threre for special teams more then anything

if this guy is the real deal, then we should sign him and drop one of the other guys, that are just there for the PS anyways

Patler
10-25-2006, 09:45 AM
didn't we just have this discusion in another thread about the new guy

that #4 and #5 wr and all the guys low on the depth chart are just threre for special teams more then anything

if this guy is the real deal, then we should sign him and drop one of the other guys, that are just there for the PS anyways

The problem is that ALL he does is return kickoffs. He doesn't return punts and more importantly doesn't play on coverage teams. That's the ST aspect of Ferguson that's still missing with Ponder. He's pretty limited.

red
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
you pretty much come back to the allen rossem question then

is a KR who can get you 10 extra yards per kick return over the other guy, and maybe break one and put you in great field position, as valuable as a #5 WR that might catch 10 passes in a season?

MJZiggy
10-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Can Ponder definitely do that over Bodiford? Or is it because you've heard of Ponder and not Bodiford? I haven't seen either of them play, so I don't know the answer.

red
10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Can Ponder definitely do that over Bodiford? Or is it because you've heard of Ponder and not Bodiford? I haven't seen either of them play, so I don't know the answer.

i have no idea either

i'm just asking the question

if a guy that can only return kicks, but do it very well, more valuable then a guy thats an average kick returner, but also the #5 wr. knowing that the #5 WR won't contribute much to the passing game

i will say ponder has more to go off of then the new guy. ponder has played in real nfl games. not just lions pre-season.

i'm sure the brain trust at 1265 would have a much better idea of what ponder can do

Patler
10-25-2006, 10:22 AM

i have no idea either

i'm just asking the question

if a guy that can only return kicks, but do it very well, more valuable then a guy thats an average kick returner, but also the #5 wr. knowing that the #5 WR won't contribute much to the passing game

i will say ponder has more to go off of then the new guy. ponder has played in real nfl games. not just lions pre-season.

i'm sure the brain trust at 1265 would have a much better idea of what ponder can do

When your #2 receiver might be out, you can't afford to pickup Ponder in place of a guy that can at least play at WR. The other problem is that the Packers don't really have a "throw away" roster spot right now, with the injuries to Taylor & Hodge they have to keep White. With Jenkins hobbling, they now no longer have a surplus at DL.

The "expendable" guy, at least the way they are usig them right now, is Henderson. Henderson isn't figuring into their gameplan any more, and they backup Miree with TEs.

MJZiggy
10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
TT would be crucified for dumping Hendo in favor of a KR only that very few have heard of.

Patler
10-25-2006, 11:18 AM
TT would be crucified for dumping Hendo in favor of a KR only that very few have heard of.

I agree. I hope they have enough sense to have him active for the last home game at least, and let him play a series toward the end of the game. He deserves a "send off" from the Green Bay fans.

red
10-25-2006, 03:43 PM
i agree with both of you there

and its, very sad to see henderson not in uniform

Rastak
10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
i agree with both of you there

and its, very sad to see henderson not in uniform

I wonder if him taking less to return to Green Bay makes it even more frustrating for him? It's a gutsy call by McCarthy to go with what he considers a better option when you have a guy like Henderson who did sacrifice a bit to return and has player a solid role for years.

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
I wonder if him taking less to return to Green Bay makes it even more frustrating for him? It's a gutsy call by McCarthy to go with what he considers a better option when you have a guy like Henderson who did sacrifice a bit to return and has player a solid role for years.

This is the second time you've brought this up. Who's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened elsewhere? He may have just lost a step at the age of 35, and the same thing would have happened in Minnesota. You have to start the guy that is playing the best. Deep down, if Henderson isn't performing as well as Miree, he probably realizes it.

How's the guitar playing working out?

Bretsky
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
They can't sign Ponder; he has too much experience for TT's likings :wink:

Seriously, though, when Ponder was released the first time and I was pounding for TT to ponder Ponder (exuse the pun) I called up my NY Giant fanatic buddy and he felt Ponder was a capable #4 WR but had never been given much of a chance in NY. He also felt he was one of the top returners in the game and was baffled the Giants cut him.

dat's OK though; maybe TT will strike riches with one of these guys we've never heard of. Who knew of Gado last year ?

Cheers,
B

Rastak
10-25-2006, 04:50 PM

This is the second time you've brought this up. Who's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened elsewhere? He may have just lost a step at the age of 35, and the same thing would have happened in Minnesota. You have to start the guy that is playing the best. Deep down, if Henderson isn't performing as well as Miree, he probably realizes it.

How's the guitar playing working out?

Minnesota has ZERO to do with it.....and I agree, I even said if McCarthy thought the other guy was better then I applaud him...it's just a weird dynamic I find interesting,sorry if it bugs you for some reason...

Oh, guitar playing is going well, how's the java coding going? :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2006, 06:46 PM

It sucks, but I don't do it for fun.

Rastak
10-25-2006, 06:54 PM

It sucks, but I don't do it for fun.

I used to program a little C for fun...but I think we are off track.....you did finally address my musing regarding Henderson though and if he's clearly been beat out and he knows it you're probably right......I really don't mean to beat that to death but I found it a real interesting sidenote...who knows he may get back on the field.

As far as Ponder goes, with Robinson heading off to the far reaches of the galaxy Ponder might be a good pickup. I know the Vikings got a huge shot in the arm with Bethel Johnson returning kicks Sunday. Like Ponder, he isn't going to give a team much at WR but could be an emergency type guy.....