PDA

View Full Version : No Arrington

falco
04-21-2006, 08:38 PM
FROM JSO

The Green Bay Packers made a play for free agent linebacker LaVar Arrington, but it appears it wasn't enough.

According to a National Football League source, the Packers were informed that Arrington planned on signing with another team. It's unclear who Arrington is going to sign with, but his visit to the New York Giants is a pretty good sign that they are in the lead for his services.

All along, Arrington made it a point to say he wanted to play in the NFC East where he would be able to play against his old team, the Washington Redskins, twice a year. Miami, Cincinnati and Jacksonville were involved earlier in the negotiations with Arrington, but the Giants had shown the most interest of late.

The Packers were hoping to lure Arrington to Green Bay with a solid contract offer and from all indications they were in the running until the end. But the uncertainty of not having a decision from Brett Favre on his status for next season might have affected Arrington's decision.

Arrington is one of two big-name free agents the Packers have been pursuing of late. The other, cornerback Charles Woodson, remans on their radar, but they are battling the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for his services. Woodson, like Arrington, is represented by Carl and Kevin Poston.

Kevin Poston, who has been handling Arrington, did not return a phone message.

falco
04-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Sorry thought I was first on this, but it looks like not even close.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 09:47 PM
What a disastrous offseason.

1) Nothing really significant in FA--despite $35M available cap space. We still have $19-20M available cap space. (It's not overspending if that's what the market sets as a price; other teams seem to get something done). No Vinatieri. No Arrington. Likely No Woodson.
2) The Javon Walker non-sense.
3) I like Mike Mac, but the coaching hire was a surprise.
4) Ryan Longwell to the Vikings.
5) Brett Favre rips the talent on the team, and he'll likely retire.
6) Terrence Murphy cut because of injury.

MJZiggy
04-21-2006, 09:50 PM
It's just a week 'til the draft...something good will happen there.

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Now we'll end up drafting the most unappealing person to the fans, D'Brick!

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Or worse, Haloti Ngata.

And I just KNOW that Ferguson will be the pick. Deep down, I just know it.

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Stay away from the pills and sharp objects

Rastak
04-21-2006, 09:53 PM

1) Nothing really significant in FA--despite $35M available cap space. We still have $19-20M available cap space. (It's not overspending if that's what the market sets as a price; other teams seem to get something done). No Vinatieri. No Arrington. Likely No Woodson.

Hey role reversal......

1) Packers pick #5 and high in every round.
2) Got Green back somewhat cheap.
3) Hmmmmm, gotta think on three..

By the way, I agree on the market thing....it is what it is. Cap goes up, so do salaries. I'm not sure Favre will retire though, he's got 10 million reasons to return.

MJZiggy
04-21-2006, 09:54 PM
How long would we have to hear about it if they drafted Huff?

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
He'll be back :mad:

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:08 PM

AGREE THAT THIS SEASON HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE AND WOULD EXPAND FUTHER

1. Slight upgrade at S and NG with our $35,000,000 in cap room; bullshit to "we can't overspend" theory; look at where it got us. Players are worth what the market bears

2. Javon Whiner ordeal sucks, and now the worst thing they can do is accept less than good value for him and send the wrong message to future Packers if they want out or more money. This could be disasterous

3. MM sounds good in front of a microphone; so do a lot of unqualified special teams coaches. TT hired somebody who didn't warrant an interview with any other team. I'm afraid TT wanted a yes sir man w/o a strong will

4. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Ryan Longwell is one of the most successful Packers we have witnessed. Rebuilding or not, it was nothing short of idiotic to not make an effort to resign him. TT showed little interest doing so last season and with that Longwell was resigned to move on

5. Favre's comments sadden me, but truth be told, while he should keep his mouth shut more, what has he said that is not correct ? We've all been waiting for TT to use the money to improve this team. He has not. Favre CLEARLY wants to play, but I wonder if TT wants to send the silent message through his lack of action that he wants BF to move on

6. Terrance Murphy gone. I liked him as a player and a person, but TT should have been shoring up that defense last year so this should never have happened.

7. Nail Diggs- No superstar, but a solid player when healthy. The Pack cut his @ss and picked up Ben Taylor, who is not as talented.

8. TO BE DETERMINED

After this offseason full of questions, I'm pounding the table for TT to use some common sense and select the surest thing to immediately cause a splash for the Green Bay Packers.

AJ HAWK.
This is the guy who the defense could be built around for 10+ Years
This is our smash mouth player
This is the fiery leader we've been looking for
This is our guy.

THAT BEING SAID, if the offseason is any indication, Green Bay will pass on Hawk for Vince Young, D Ferguson, or Vernon Davis. Because TT makes no sense to me.

Cheers,
B

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 10:11 PM
The Diggs move was a good move imo. Injured way to often.

gbpackfan
04-21-2006, 10:19 PM
The only way TT can restore my faith is to have a stellar draft! This means NO NAGATA or D'BRICK! I want AJ, Davis or Williams. Also, I want an impact player in rounds 2 and 3. YES, THEY ARE OUT THERE! DO IT TT!

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
The Diggs move was a good move imo. Injured way to often.

I have no problem with the cut if they upgrade him; so I have a problem with the cut

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 10:33 PM
A healthy body is an upgrade over Diggs.

Rastak
04-21-2006, 10:36 PM

I'm not so sure, when healthy he was pretty solid. Was he really injured that often in previous years?

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
He's always nicked up

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Some tried saying the same thing when Sharper left last year

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
I would take Collins and his age over Sharper.

Rastak
04-21-2006, 10:44 PM

I would agree if he has another good year next year Bulldog. Collins looks pretty solid to me but Sharper was very good last year, and a lot of other years too.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:47 PM

I'd rather have Collins and Sharper, and if we exclude age Sharper is the better player now.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-21-2006, 10:47 PM

I would take Darius over Murphy. Recalls that before the Jags signed Darius to an extension, they were willing to accept a 2nd rounder for the pro bowl safety. Thompson had 2 of them last year. It is not Murphy's fault that he got drafted by the Pack, it is Thompson's fault for drafting him.

The only way i would forgive thompson for that mental screw up is if Michael Huff ends up wearing the green and gold..um, mustard now that the Pack are in a state of Polar Bearism.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey role reversal......

3) Resigning Kampman.
4) Signing Pickett and Manuel--who I think are two good, value signings.

That's it. Oh, and #5 the Vikings offseason was overrated yet again.
:D

Rastak
04-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey role reversal......

3) Resigning Kampman.

Not according to the paid professionals.... :wink:

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey role reversal......

3) Resigning Kampman.

I wish somebody would be calling our overrated instead of hibernated while Packer fans and TT sleep through it.

potsdam_11
04-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I can't say the Packers have done a terrible job so far, yes they seem to be sitting on a load of cash, but the reports certainly suggest they have been attempting to bring in some talent. Just not a high quality pool this year, imo.. A couple perhaps, but there are just as many head cases as solid pickups.. as a result I'm not quite so inclined to declare the off-season a bust just yet.

Longwell should have been courted a little harder, and as with Hentrich, I think the Packers will rue that decision.

The Walker situation is just bad news, a lot of blame to be tossed around including with Walker himself.. IMO, if they can get a decent trade, take it, any body they get will be an upgrade over Walker in his current state, if he won't play for GB.. he has no value to the team,,,, trade him.

As for players staying away, Favre, or no Favre there are a lot of questions about the coaches on this team.. not saying they are bad, just an unknown at this point.... and this team is not stacked with pro-bowl talent so .... where would you go..??

Hawk would be a good pick, and if he comes in a plays as advertised, then he is worth the 5th pick, the same could be said for the other names being tossed about... If they start, and they excel, then they are worth the pick, that's all you can ask. There are no guarantees... I believe TT should stand pat at #5 and enjoy the opportunity to cherry pick for a change... something the Pack hasn't done in years..

As for TT, I'm holding out judgment until he has another season under his belt..

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Looks like a done deal.

People seem to want to believe that Thompson has offered Arrington and Woodson more, but that the players are shunning Green Bay. I don't get that read at all. These are greedy agents and greedy players we are talking about. I think this all came down to money.

Agent: Giants, Arrington close to reaching deal
By John Clayton

The Giants and former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington are close to a deal that will keep the three-time Pro Bowler in the NFC East, according to Arrington's agent, Carl Poston.

Five teams had been in the running for Arrington, but the Giants took a significant step toward getting a deal done Thursday. After Arrington took and passed a physical Thursday, negotiations turned serious and have been ongoing for more than 24 hours.

Poston wasn't sure if a deal was going to be completed by Friday night, but he said negotiations between Arrington and the Giants were close to getting done and should be completed soon.

The Packers, Jaguars, Dolphins and Bengals had also been in the mix. Poston said the Jaguars and Packers made progress with their offers Friday, but the Giants took the lead Friday.

Arrington had hoped to stay in the NFC East in order to play the Giants two times a year.

"Antonio Pierce really made a push to get the Giants to bring LaVar to New York," Poston said. "It's a good fit. It would be great to have LaVar in the New York market."

Pierce left the Redskins after the 2004 and was an instant star in the Giants defense.

Terms of any detail weren't available. The Dolphins had a $5 million a year offer on the table. Arrington was hoping to get a deal in the $7.5 million a year range.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I can't say the Packers have done a terrible job so far, yes they seem to be sitting on a load of cash, but the reports certainly suggest they have been attempting to bring in some talent. Just not a high quality pool this year, imo.. A couple perhaps, but there are just as many head cases as solid pickups.. as a result I'm not quite so inclined to declare the off-season a bust just yet.

Longwell should have been courted a little harder, and as with Hentrich, I think the Packers will rue that decision.

The Walker situation is just bad news, a lot of blame to be tossed around including with Walker himself.. IMO, if they can get a decent trade, take it, any body they get will be an upgrade over Walker in his current state, if he won't play for GB.. he has no value to the team,,,, trade him.

As for players staying away, Favre, or no Favre there are a lot of questions about the coaches on this team.. not saying they are bad, just an unknown at this point.... and this team is not stacked with pro-bowl talent so .... where would you go..??

Hawk would be a good pick, and if he comes in a plays as advertised, then he is worth the 5th pick, the same could be said for the other names being tossed about... If they start, and they excel, then they are worth the pick, that's all you can ask. There are no guarantees... I believe TT should stand pat at #5 and enjoy the opportunity to cherry pick for a change... something the Pack hasn't done in years..

As for TT, I'm holding out judgment until he has another season under his belt..

I have the same view of "if they can start and excel" they are worth it. But I don't think many will excel right off the bat. Hawk is the safest pick and most pro ready to make that immediate impact. A guy like Mario Williams could be a star or he could be unfulfilled junk. With our dreadful offseaon, I want to see something now.

Regarding Walker, cutting ties for less than what he's worth sends the wrong message to players playing for a city that a lot of players may want to avoid anyways.

potsdam_11
04-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Bretsky,

I'd love to see them tell Walker to play or else.... but I'm not sure that's practical. As far as sending the wrong message, the agents have sent the wrong message. I'm afraid that very soon, this type of behavior will be the norm in the NFL.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Bretsky,

I'd love to see them tell Walker to play or else.... but I'm not sure that's practical. As far as sending the wrong message, the agents have sent the wrong message. I'm afraid that very soon, this type of behavior will be the norm in the NFL.

Personally I'd take the hard line with Javon. Let him know he can certainly retire if that is what he wants. But if he wants his huge payday, then he has to

1. First excel as a Green Bay Packer this year and then the money will come. And any monkey play and he won't get a big payday from GB or anybody else. And to take the game further, call the bluff and let them know he should expect to be transitioned or franchised as well.

Then, if things are bad, you sign him and trade him, or franchise him and let somebody give you at least a first.

Now this might get ugly before it gets better, but what does Green Bay have to lose ? The playoffs ? It's time to send a message.

potsdam_11
04-21-2006, 11:46 PM
I can't argue with your logic Bretsky, and I love to see the Packers hold firm, and if I really think about it,... They would lose less on that option than they did on Joe Johnson. So I suppose, financially they would survive. Moreover, making his life miserable would certainly send a message to the others in the locker room.. and that would be a good thing..

On the other hand if someone came along with a decent trade value, then I would be tempted to cut him loose, and not have to deal with all the BS..

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:50 PM
I can't argue with your logic Bretsky, and I love to see the Packers hold firm, and if I really think about it,... They would lose less on that option than they did on Joe Johnson, so suppose, financially they would survive. Moreover, making his life miserable would certainly send a message to the others in the locker room.. and that would be a good thing..

On the other hand if someone came along with a decent trade value, then I would be tempted to cut him loose, and not have to deal with all the BS..

I'd agree with you as well. A healthy Javon Walker would bring us a 1st and 3rd or 4th round draft pick IMO. If I don't get at least a high 2nd for an injured JW, I'd pass.

B

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Top FAs left at WR, OG, LB, and CB:

WR Az-Zahir Hakim, NO, 8
WR Dez White, ATL, 6
OG Ron Stone, OAK, 13
OG Matt Stinchcomb, TB, 7
LB Barrett Green, NYG, 6
LB Tommy Polley, BAL, 5
LB Nick Greisen, NYG, 4
CB Ty Law, NYJ, 11
CB Charles Woodson, OAK, 8
CB Ahmed Plummer, SF, 6
CB Dexter McCleon, KC, 9

Yuck!

We haven't gotten one legitimate upgrade to our team this offseason. Maybe Roman to Manuel, but even that is iffy.

Rastak
04-22-2006, 05:51 AM

WR Az-Zahir Hakim, NO, 8
WR Dez White, ATL, 6
OG Ron Stone, OAK, 13
LB Barrett Green, NYG, 6
LB Tommy Polley, BAL, 5
LB Nick Greisen, NYG, 4
CB Ty Law, NYJ, 11
CB Ahmed Plummer, SF, 6
CB Dexter McCleon, KC, 9

Yuck!

We haven't gotten one legitimate upgrade to our team this offseason. Maybe Roman to Manuel, but even that is iffy.

Actually White, Greisen and Law would be good pickups.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 08:07 AM

WR Az-Zahir Hakim, NO, 8
WR Dez White, ATL, 6
OG Ron Stone, OAK, 13
LB Barrett Green, NYG, 6
LB Tommy Polley, BAL, 5
LB Nick Greisen, NYG, 4
CB Ty Law, NYJ, 11
CB Ahmed Plummer, SF, 6
CB Dexter McCleon, KC, 9

Yuck!

Actually White, Greisen and Law would be good pickups.

Don't tell that to Badger Troll Harvey

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Greisen is slow. If Thompson thought he was a good fit for the defense, I'm sure he could have been signed to play back in Wisconsin for near the veteran's minimum. He needs to go to a team like New England.

Partial
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
WR Dez White, ATL, 6
LB Barrett Green, NYG, 6
LB Tommy Polley, BAL, 5
LB Nick Greisen, NYG, 4
CB Ty Law, NYJ, 11

Bring 'em all in for 1-2 year contract. Let 'em fight it out with our guys for roster spots.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Greisen is slow. If Thompson thought he was a good fit for the defense, I'm sure he could have been signed to play back in Wisconsin for near the veteran's minimum. He needs to go to a team like New England.

Is Griesen slower than Ben Taylor ?

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Is Griesen slower than Ben Taylor ?

From what I've read I believe he is. Taylor's bio always says he has good speed. He's actually a pretty good athlete.