PDA

View Full Version : PFW : Way We Hear It

motife
10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Another shortcut by Lions’ Rogers ends in suspension

Detroit

DT Shaun Rogers has never been lauded for his work ethic, and our sources suggest his four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on banned substances was another example of the two-time Pro Bowler seeking the easy way out. Rogers has frequently struggled with his weight, and the violation stems from a supplement taken this summer to help the defensive tackle make his target weight under new head coach Rod Marinelli, who favors speed and quickness over size. Rogers’ work ethic in the weight room has long been a problem; instead, he tends to rely exclusively on his natural athletic ability. Rogers will put his time off to good use, however. He had the partially torn meniscus in his knee scoped and will require 2-3 weeks of recovery. He is eligible and scheduled to return on Thanksgiving Day against the Dolphins.

Chicago

QB Rex Grossman was an unmitigated disaster in Monday’s bizarre comeback win over Arizona, turning the ball over six times on four interceptions and two fumbles. Grossman did face more pressure from the Cardinals than he had in previous games, but we’re told that Grossman and the coaching staff are chalking up his nightmare performance primarily to the quarterback’s decision-making and inexperience. The game represented just the 13th career start for the four-year veteran, meaning he has remarkably yet to log a full season as a starter. We hear the Bears reacted to this outing as merely part of Grossman’s learning curve and were ecstatic about the way he handled his struggles mentally — remaining confident and refusing to hang his head. The coaching staff, notably offensive coordinator Ron Turner, also took accountability for being out-schemed by the Cardinals’ defense.

Green Bay

Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski is quick to point out that Green Bay has gone to battle with three rookies logging significant time on its interior offensive line, a challenge he believes no other team in the NFL has been forced to undertake. While crediting his front five with gradual weekly improvement, Jagodzinski commented candidly on just how difficult it is for rookie linemen to ramp up. “I’ll tell you, I was watching another team, and I was watching one of their rookie offensive linemen,” he told PFW. “A high, high, high pick. Real early pick, and he’s just struggling. And that guy was taken on the first day. There are just not a lot of guys that are ready to just roll in there as an offensive lineman right off the bat.” The former Falcons OL coach added that his three rookie guards — second-rounder Daryn Colledge, third-rounder Jason Spitz and fifth-rounder Tony Moll — have made significant progress in adjusting to the zone-blocking scheme in the run game, as well as in pass protection. However, Jagodzinski said he is still asking QB Brett Favre to serve as a conservative game manager to avoid putting his inexperienced line in one-on-one protection situations.

Minnesota

OLG Steve Hutchinson returned to the Pacific Northwest in a Vikings uniform this week, after spending his first five seasons in Seattle and qualifying for three Pro Bowls. After he signed a monster $49 million free-agent deal with Minnesota, the questions inevitably arose this week about whether Hutchinson has paid dividends for the Vikings. While our sources characterized his impact as solid, we’re told Hutchinson has hardly been the dominant force he was in Seattle. Officially, he had been charged with giving up one sack in the first five games of the season, but we hear he was beaten for sacks in both the Carolina and Buffalo games, and Bears DT Tommie Harris also read his stance pre-snap to force a game-changing fumble in Week Three. As a team, the Vikings have mustered only seven offensive TDs in six games and rank 11th with a 4.2-yard rushing average running primarily to Hutchinson’s side, figures that improved as a result of an impressive 31-13 win at Seattle in Week Seven. Perhaps most surprisingly, Hutch’s nasty approach in the trenches has not been nearly as contagious as anticipated for a notoriously mild-tempered front five. In Hutch’s defense, the Vikings brought only one lineman (OLT Bryant McKinnie) back to his spot from a year ago, and thus, we hear the offense is very much still a work in progress.

motife
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
WR Javon Walker’s requests last week to see more of the ball in hopes of sparking a lackluster Broncos passing game were not intended to create a stir, he insisted, but more a result of his passion for the game, which was made even stronger by the knee injury that forced him to miss nearly all of last season. “I’ll just say it: Give me the ball. I want the ball,” Walker said last week. “I don’t think I’ve been as big a part of the offense as I can be. ... I’m just saying the offense can’t always rely on the defense. We all have to pick it up. I think I am a weapon on this team, and I want to help get us going. I want to show Denver what I can do.” His coaches and teammates must have paid attention to the comments, because Walker had nine receptions for 107 yards in a Week Seven win over Cleveland. He has been the Broncos’ most productive receiver with 29 catches for 495 yards and two touchdowns. While head coach Mike Shanahan and other players said they weren’t bothered by Walker’s comments, the Broncos’ close-knit locker room — with respected veterans like John Lynch, Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, Champ Bailey and Al Wilson — isn’t one that will tolerate much more than that, from anyone, according to sources. It’s believed that because Walker is still young and eager to prove himself in a new program, his comments weren’t considered inflammatory, but it’s worth noting that the team as a whole was only “lukewarm at best” to the idea of adding Terrell Owens in the offseason.

motife
10-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Seven weeks into the season, it’s safe to say the Seattle offense really has been hindered by the departure of Pro Bowl OLG Steve Hutchinson, who went up against his old team last Sunday for the first time in a Vikings uniform. Floyd “Pork Chop” Womack, who got the first crack at filling Hutchinson's huge shoes, was a disaster even before a knee injury sent him to the sideline. In Womack’s place, 2005 first-round pick Chris Spencer has been a major work in progress, allowing his share of sacks as well as struggling with holding penalties and false starts. Spencer is expected to remain the starter at left guard even after Womack returns from injury, but we hear the long-range answer at the position is fourth-round rookie Rob Sims, with Spencer moving to either his natural center position to replace aging veteran Robbie Tobeck or to right guard to replace aging veteran Chris Gray. Sims had a good training camp and is widely perceived as a starting-caliber talent. As for Tobeck and Gray, we’re told the Hawks believe they probably could get one more season out of one of them, but not both

motife
10-25-2006, 05:52 PM
So what’s it going to be — 3-4, 4-3 or a mixed bag depending on the opponent? When the Niners resume play this weekend against the Bears, it’s likely their lowly defense will lean more toward a 4-3 than the preferred 3-4 style they have had so much trouble installing the last couple of seasons. In any case, we’re told multiple looks will continue to flourish, as the team’s defensive staff tries to stop the bleeding (32.3 points per game allowed) with multiple changes in personnel. Let’s talk about safeties first, with free-agent pickup Mark Roman replacing former stalwart Tony Parrish on the strong side and Keith Lewis expected to share the load with Michael Adams at free safety after previously concentrating on special teams, an area in which he excels. The Niners gave every opportunity to the veteran Parrish to keep the starting SS job, but the bottom line is that he appears to be a step slower after breaking his fibula last season and no longer has the recovery speed that enabled him to previously hold his own with his excellent field vision. Lewis is considered one of the team’s best tacklers, a skill that has been in short supply for the Niners’ “D” the first six games, and it’s hoped he will add a badly needed physical presence to a secondary that has frequently been eaten alive. Another change involves second-year DT Ronald Fields, who started in a 4-3 scheme in Week Six and is expected to maintain that status as long as his play merits it after he forced a safety and made five tackles against San Diego. Fields’ 6-2, 310-pound frame enables him to be plugged into three-man fronts when needed at nose tackle, his college position at Mississippi State.

Bretsky
10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Seven weeks into the season, it’s safe to say the Seattle offense really has been hindered by the departure of Pro Bowl OLG Steve Hutchinson, who went up against his old team last Sunday for the first time in a Vikings uniform. Floyd “Pork Chop” Womack, who got the first crack at filling Hutchinson's huge shoes, was a disaster even before a knee injury sent him to the sideline. In Womack’s place, 2005 first-round pick Chris Spencer has been a major work in progress, allowing his share of sacks as well as struggling with holding penalties and false starts. Spencer is expected to remain the starter at left guard even after Womack returns from injury, but we hear the long-range answer at the position is fourth-round rookie Rob Sims, with Spencer moving to either his natural center position to replace aging veteran Robbie Tobeck or to right guard to replace aging veteran Chris Gray. Sims had a good training camp and is widely perceived as a starting-caliber talent. As for Tobeck and Gray, we’re told the Hawks believe they probably could get one more season out of one of them, but not both

HUTCHINSON WAS A HUGE AND EFFECTIVE SIGNING BY MINN

Double Edge Sword; losing him has really hurt the running production of Seattle. And it's really helped Minnesota.

Did anybody see the isolation blocks Hutchinson made on Chester Taylor's long run for a TD. PANCAKES. Reminded me of good ole Wahle but Hutch is prolly better.

B

run pMc
10-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Hutchinson is better than Wahle.
Hutchinson is a fantastic run blocker, but only so-so in pass pro. Losing him definitely hurt SEA.

$49M is a lot for a G though. MIN has a $100M O line, and they aren't exactly blowing people away like many expected. It's still early and that line could jell...but I'm not hoping for it.

mngolf19
10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Hutchinson is better than Wahle.
Hutchinson is a fantastic run blocker, but only so-so in pass pro. Losing him definitely hurt SEA.

$49M is a lot for a G though. MIN has a $100M O line, and they aren't exactly blowing people away like many expected. It's still early and that line could jell...but I'm not hoping for it.

I think that jelling is the key for them, just like learning and jelling is for the Packers OL. Only 1 reg starter coming back this year for Vikes. It takes time for them to get on same page. But I think the Seattle game showed good improvement.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I didn't see the Seattle game. Was it much different than other weeks? It looks like Johnson did little but dink and dunk in the passing game (except on the 3rd and 17 to Robinson). They hardly ran a lick outside of the first couple of runs and the 95 yarder. Other than that, it was 23 carries for 54 yards rushing and just 171 passing. I don't mean that as insult because I didn't see the game, but was it dramatically different than the previous weeks?

Rastak
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
I didn't see the Seattle game. Was it much different than other weeks? It looks like Johnson did little but dink and dunk in the passing game (except on the 3rd and 17 to Robinson). They hardly ran a lick outside of the first couple of runs and the 95 yarder. Other than that, it was 23 carries for 54 yards rushing and just 171 passing. I don't mean that as insult because I didn't see the game, but was it dramatically different than the previous weeks?

I KNEW you'd say that. How did Green do minus the 70 yard run? Moot point, he DID have a 70 yard run. (Nice one too).

Dramatically different? Yes, they got the stupid ball in the endzone, unlike previous weeks. :smile:

Look at the Vikings offense ranking, they rank 12th in the NFL and Green Bay ranks 10th. They can move the ball, the fools were just commiting red zone penalties and not converting TDs when close. 3rd down playcalling has been a little odd also. Last week they did convert a few and finally it didn't come down to a last second FG or FG try. Vikings did throw downfield a little more but dink and dunk it what this offense is all about, as well as ball control.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Green Bay scored 34 points (27 on offense) against a pretty stingy Miami defense, and I don't think they played that differently than other games. And I never said Ahman Green had a good running game. He had a nice run. That was about it. They got some breaks on turnovers, and the defense scored a TD. So, if you are saying Minnesota is getting it just because they scored more points this week, then fine. I wouldn't make the same argument for Green Bay. They got a few breaks and finished a few more drives, but I don't think the offense looked any better than previous weeks. It helps when there's a QB on the other team that's giving up the ball. I think Wallace had 3 turnovers in the second half alone--while Harrington and his receivers turned the ball over 3 times.

Zool
10-26-2006, 03:50 PM
If only Seneca Wallace could throw the ball to Taco Wallace.

With Wallace and Grommet on the sidelines.

Murphy37
10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
If only Seneca Wallace could throw the ball to Taco Wallace.

With Wallace and Grommet on the sidelines.

Then perhaps they can all get together with Rasheed Wallace for a pick up game of basketball.

Rastak
10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
So, if you are saying Minnesota is getting it just because they scored more points this week, then fine.

No, more that they finally finished a few drives, as I said, they actually have racked some decent yards this season, although I concede Green Bay has been the better offensive team this year.

I'll also concede that Miami has a decent defense...not sure how many times Green Bay had the short field but either way it was a good point total.