PDA

View Full Version : Thought's on Dr. Z's rank/available FA WR's

NewsBruin
10-26-2006, 03:28 AM
From Zimmerman's ranking of the Packers:

Koren Robinson has been suspended for the year, Robert Ferguson is lost with a Lisfranc injury to the foot. OK, there's room for one. All applicants line up over there. Well, there are some familiar faces: David Boston and Corey Bradford, Scottie Vines and Tyrone Calico. OK, GM Ted Thompson, who's it gonna be? Oh, I see, you're promoting a free agent, Chris Francies, from the taxi squad? I'm sure you know what you're doing. I just don't want to be there when you tell Brett Favre.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'd rather us pass on opinions about the messenger, but of those available WR's, do you think any of them should get a tryout with the Pack? I'm fine with not auditioning Boston (I just don't think his personality or body would hold up right now), but Bradford and Calico are still young pups. Vines? Never heard of him.

Do y'all think any of those four would be a good tryout candidate for the Pack?

packinpatland
10-26-2006, 05:54 AM
This is a case where it's ok to kill the messenger.

Don't mean you NewsBruin.

MJZiggy
10-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Note to Dr. Z: There's this guy--his name is Bodiford. He's been hired, the position is filled and there is no open roster spot to speak of. Have a nice day and pay attention next time. Geez.

run pMc
10-26-2006, 08:24 AM
David Boston - no. he's been suspended for steroids before; so he's another KoRo. Plus, I'm not sure his head is screwed on right.
Corey Bradford - no. he's played w/ Favre before, but I'm not sure he's a good fit for the WCO. Seemed like GB used him for deep routes, not the short routes you see in M3's offense.
Scottie Vines - no. I thought he was on GB's practice squad at one point, and played in a few games for us a few seasons ago before going to DET. The Bodiford kid might be just as good, or better, considering Vines couldn't make it in DET.
Tyrone Calico - no. Wasn't this the guy who got busted in the backseat with a 16 year old in Nashville? Thought he had some injury issues too. If he couldn't stick in TEN (not exactly WR rich squad), I doubt he'd make an impact.

I generally like Z's technical analysis/commentary; it's more interesting to me than the same old gossip and obvious statements some writers make. Missing out on the Bodiford pickup indicates this was written before that news broke, or he didn't do his research (which is weird, cuz I thought he was a research nut).
Most of the nat'l sportswriters don't seem to do much research on GB, since they were 4-12 last year and aren't seen as a playoff contender this year either. It's like they have a "they won't be in the playoffs, so why bother?" attitude, and just go on stale information to make their arguments. Maybe they need a journalism refresher course. LOL

run pMc
10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
...And a no to Charles Rogers, simply because of injuries, prior suspensions, and attitude issues. That's a guy who got happy being paid while on IR and decided he didn't want to work for the rest of his $.

No to Jerome Pathon. It seems like he's available every year, and every year some team signs him mid year as an emergency replacement, and he doesn't do anything. If he was that good, he'd be in camp and he'd stick with a team.

Anybody else I'm missing? A lot of these guys are names; GB might be just as good with an unknown who is hungry. Game experience is important, but TT doesn't seem to be worried about that right now. For a #4 WR, I suppose he doesn't need to be. All the same, I'm not comfy with Ruvell as our #2 WR. Makes you wonder what the squad would look like if we'd picked up Marques Colston instead of Cory Rodgers in the draft, huh? Oh well, woulda shoulda coulda.

Bretsky
10-26-2006, 09:01 AM
From norton's ranking of the Packers:

Koren Robinson has been suspended for the year, Robert Ferguson is lost with a Lisfranc injury to the foot. OK, there's room for one. All applicants line up over there. Well, there are some familiar faces: David Boston and Corey Bradford, Scottie Vines and Tyrone Calico. OK, GM Ted Thompson, who's it gonna be? Oh, I see, you're promoting a free agent, Chris Francies, from the taxi squad? I'm sure you know what you're doing. I just don't want to be there when you tell Brett Favre.

Okay, I'd rather us pass on opinions about the messenger, but of those available WR's, do you think any of them should get a tryout with the Pack? I'm fine with not auditioning Boston (I just don't think his personality or body would hold up right now), but Bradford and Calico are still young pups. Vines? Never heard of him.

WTF would we NOT try these guys out ? I have no problem with passing on Boston. If healthy Vines might be a nice fit. He's developed as a WR since GB took a flyer on him year's ago. Going into this game I think it would be challenging to find a worse WR core this weekend. With the lack of experience that makes is even more scary.

As another poster pointed out, I'd take Gardner in a second right now.

B

MJZiggy
10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Why, B? Gardner was here all summer and disappointed to the degree that he got beat out by the guys you're disparaging. They are young, they are hungry and want nothing more than to prove themselves. Bodiford didn't even clear waivers before we jumped on him. Why because he beat out all of the guys on that list by actually making a team. This is the part everyone seems to be missing. These guys are available because they couldn't make a team. Bodiford could and from all I'm hearing the Lions didn't want to let him go either. Why take someone that's already failed for us over someone who Martz is crying over losing?

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm willing to see what the new guy can do. He might suck, but he might be a diamond in the rough. We'll see. Hopefully, Jennings can play and stay healthy all year.

Bretsky
10-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Why, B? Gardner was here all summer and disappointed to the degree that he got beat out by the guys you're disparaging. They are young, they are hungry and want nothing more than to prove themselves. Bodiford didn't even clear waivers before we jumped on him. Why because he beat out all of the guys on that list by actually making a team. This is the part everyone seems to be missing. These guys are available because they couldn't make a team. Bodiford could and from all I'm hearing the Lions didn't want to let him go either. Why take someone that's already failed for us over someone who Martz is crying over losing?

It looks like we will have 1 WR with NFL experience this week. I'd take Gardner; he'd be in sync with the QB and would run the right patterns. My guestimate is he has a crummy attitude and that is why he'll never reach his potential.

B

Lurker64
10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
It looks like we will have 1 WR with NFL experience this week.

Wait, Francies and Martin are out? When did this happen?

pittstang5
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I'll admit that last year I was dissappointed by TT not bringing in the top talent that was available when Walker went down. Hell, I'm still mad at myself for even considering Fred-Ex might be a good idea (shutters).

However this year, maybe it's because I'm expecting it, but I'm not shocked at the moves TT has made and to a certain degree, agree with them. Francis was the best option - he's been here since TC and the mini camps and knows the system......that, to me, trumps all the other available WRs.

The Bodiford guy.......Seems like Detroit really liked this guy and TT actually looked at him at draft time. Ziggy said it best....this guy was actually on a roster during the season and was still wanted, but became a casualty to the numbers game.

I guess TT sees it that young, hungry players are worth more to the Packers than old vets just looking for a pay-check.

Sparkey
10-26-2006, 10:03 AM

WTF would we NOT try these guys out ? I have no problem with passing on Boston. If healthy Vines might be a nice fit. He's developed as a WR since GB took a flyer on him year's ago. Going into this game I think it would be challenging to find a worse WR core this weekend. With the lack of experience that makes is even more scary.

B

Lets assume that signing any one of those players, instead of Francies, gives the Packers TWO more wins this year......Ok, that puts them at 6 or 7 tops.

Will that help them make the playoffs ? NO

Will signing an aged veteran help them in two years ? NO

Will it help them in the 2007 draft ? NO

Lets let the kids learn, improve and grow as a team......Not try to one year, get well fix option that does nothing to help the future of the team.

Bretsky
10-26-2006, 10:08 AM

B

Lets assume that signing any one of those players, instead of Francies, gives the Packers TWO more wins this year......Ok, that puts them at 6 or 7 tops.

Will that help them make the playoffs ? NO

Will signing an aged veteran help them in two years ? NO

Will it help them in the 2007 draft ? NO

Lets let the kids learn, improve and grow as a team......Not try to one year, get well fix option that does nothing to help the future of the team.

Sparkey,

I agree with your logic; I just can't embrace it. I guess my former coaching ways will alwasy make me a win now kind of guy. Never give up or sacrifice this year for next...etc...

The other extreme is to realize you have no chance for the playoffs so you just tank the season and stockpile better players via draft and have a complete youthful makeover.

I know you are in the middle; I find myself always leaning toward #1; we could be 4-4 in a couple weeks and a game out of playoff contention. Yes, there I go dreaming again.

B

MJZiggy
10-26-2006, 10:18 AM
That's quite an assumption, Sparkey. Somehow I don't believe that signing any of them gives us any more wins. I'd rather have the guy that was good enough to earn a roster spot over someone I just happen to have heard of.

Sparkey
10-26-2006, 11:22 AM
That's quite an assumption, Sparkey. Somehow I don't believe that signing any of them gives us any more wins. I'd rather have the guy that was good enough to earn a roster spot over someone I just happen to have heard of.

You are right....A huge assumption and a best case scenario. My point being, signing an older vet does not, in any appreciable way, make this team better. Extreme's always seem to get the attention of others.
:mrgreen:

packiowa
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I think it's pretty clear that NO team with even a distant shot at making the playoffs thinks any of the available wr's will get them even one more win. Otherwise, they'd sign them in a heartbeat.

As for me, 4-12 and drafting 4th is much worse than 6-10 and drafting 9th. Either way, you gotta draft the right guys. Drafting in the top 5 just means you really can't afford to be wrong.

GoPack06
10-26-2006, 11:38 AM
if these WR are so good than why were they all cut this year and are now sitting at home eating chese burgers. They have no upside.

mngolf19
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
if these WR are so good than why were they all cut this year and are now sitting at home eating chese burgers. They have no upside.

This is a very good observation. The Packers are rebuilding so bringing in a vet with no upside does nothing for you. The Vikings on the other hand are trying to do something this year and are short on WR so for them bringing in a vet would be the smart move.

red
10-26-2006, 03:35 PM

the guy we also just picked up was also just cut,

by the lions

i don't care how much they say they liked the kid, if you like the kid then you find a way to keep him and cut someone else. they have plenty of shitty players on that team. he beat out other guys on the list for a handfull of weeks, then also got cut. by maybe the worst team in the nfl

and the last thing i am willing to do is accept what the freaking lions think about a player

being cut by the lions, even though they liked the kid, isn't a giant ringing endoresment IMO

keep in mind, this kid was also passed by every single team in the nfl at least 7 times, except for the lions

so why in the hell are people willing to say that TT made the best move, and picked up the best playe?

what has anyone ever seen (other then the lions in training camp), that would make someone thing he was the best available? he has done nothing

why would people on here get so furious at the idea of bringing in a vet to have a look if it could improve the team?

Zool
10-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Plenty of teams have had WR injuries this year and yet these guys are still sitting at home. What does that tell you?

The Dolphins signed Marcus Vick to their active roster last week when short a WR. What does that tell you?

Vets at home are there for a reason.

red
10-26-2006, 03:54 PM
the lions also have problems at WR this season, and have a complete team full of horrible players

yet they released this guy

what does that tell you?

woodbuck27
10-26-2006, 03:54 PM
BALLS !!

NFL level WR talent is so poor that we are debating if TT made a smart move by bringing in a Lion castoff?

Get Cory Bradford in Green Bay ASAP.

We need an experienced NFL WR.

red
10-26-2006, 04:02 PM

with jennings doubtfull for this week, we're looking at driver, and 3 undrafted rookies with 3 career receptions for 37 yards between them as our 4 wr's this week

that scares the hell out of me

i think we're all already forgetting just how horrible favre and this team looked last year when we had a team full of practice squad talent

woodbuck27
10-26-2006, 04:05 PM

with jennings doubtfull for this week, we're looking at driver, and 3 undrafted rookies with 3 career receptions for 37 yards between them as our 4 wr's this week

It's unbelievable. Never would I have imagined such a thing.

Bretsky
10-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Plenty of teams have had WR injuries this year and yet these guys are still sitting at home. What does that tell you?

The Dolphins signed Marcus Vick to their active roster last week when short a WR. What does that tell you?

Vets at home are there for a reason.

Hmm; sounds like a loaded question. Maybe they're stupid :wink:
No, that can't be the best answer, even though they are still amongst the greatest underachieving team in the NFL.

MJZiggy
10-26-2006, 06:51 PM

i think we're all already forgetting just how horrible favre and this team looked last year when we had a team full of practice squad talent

We have Martin and don't forget--we have Green. We didn't have him last year and he is a difference-maker in this offense. We have a running game and a coach who's not panicking (I'm not saying Sherman did, I'm just saying that M3 ain't scared--and he even has a cold. Will that hurt our chances?)

green_bowl_packer
10-26-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll take Martin and Francies over the guys out on the street all day long. If we're playing to win; you go with the guys who give you the best chance. These two have been here all season and they know what the hell is going on. From the OTA's to camp, they know the play-book, they know where to be, and what to do on the plays that are called, they've caught passed from Favre before, a guy off the street isn't gonna be able to do that right off the bat. Plus, every time Favre drops back to pass is an adventure with healthy receivers on this team, we saw that in the first half Sunday.

Not to mention, Ruvell Martin has earned and deserved this shot, I think he'll pull through with flying colors. The media reported in camp and pre-season that all he did was make plays and catch every thing thrown his way. He turned out to be everything that Boerichter wasn't.

esoxx
10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't think it would hurt to bring some of these vets in to at least get a first hand look. The guy who I think could actually help is Vines. He has played with Favre before and has exposure to the WCO. Has more than just a game or two of NFL experience under his belt and in this league that counts for something.

Just bringing in kids and flooding the position with them seems a bit foolish. I'm sure there are some Jamal Joneses and Taco Wallaces on our roster right now that will be gone soon anyhow and have no real long term plans with the team.

Lurker64
10-26-2006, 10:48 PM
He turned out to be everything that Boerichter wasn't.

Terrible linear speed but otherwise a good reciever? Yup, sounds like the anti Boerichter.

OS PA
10-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't think it would hurt to bring some of these vets in to at least get a first hand look. The guy who I think could actually help is Vines. He has played with Favre before and has exposure to the WCO. Has more than just a game or two of NFL experience under his belt and in this league that counts for something.

Do you mean Bradford?

I think we should bring him in as another posession reciever. Then bring Leo Bookman back for a few game try-out. We need someone who can get behind defenses, even if we are playing a pure WCO.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Do you mean Bradford?

I think he means Vines. He played here. He started a lot of games for Detroit last year. Vines does make some sense, but I wonder if he's not injured or something. It doesn't seem like any team is giving him a look--even though he caught 40 balls last year and is relatively young yet.

esoxx
10-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Do you mean Bradford?

I think he means Vines. He played here. He started a lot of games for Detroit last year. Vines does make some sense, but I wonder if he's not injured or something. It doesn't seem like any team is giving him a look--even though he caught 40 balls last year and is relatively young yet.

Yeah, I meant Vines. He has some exposure to Favre having been in camp and being waived on final cut in '03. Caught 40 balls last year, starting 11 games. Only 27. He was waived off PUP (groin) this season. You'd have to think he's recovered by now but maybe not. Still, what harm is there to bringing him in to see what he has for yourself? Maybe they did and don't advertise. I just hope they are checking all possibilities and not just reaching for Kiddie Corps. That's all I'm saying.

Partial
10-26-2006, 11:21 PM
BALLS !!

NFL level WR talent is so poor that we are debating if TT made a smart move by bringing in a Lion castoff?

Get Cory Bradford in Green Bay ASAP.

He's back!

Patler
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
the lions also have problems at WR this season, and have a complete team full of horrible players

what does that tell you?

Well, a few years back the Packers didn't have a stellar group of linebackers, but because of injuries at other positions they had to release Hunter Hillenmeyer. Now he starts for the Bears.

The fact the Lions had to release a WR to sign a FB due to injuries doesn't mean the rookie is no good.

Iron Mike
10-27-2006, 07:21 AM

I think YOU'RE forgetting we're playing the Cardinals this weekend. :jig:

Bretsky
10-27-2006, 08:54 AM
the Cards defense is not bad; they've only allowed 2 TD's via the pass in one game this year out of the seven they have played. Our WR situation will make MM's job more challenging.

Zool
10-27-2006, 09:38 AM

what does that tell you?

Well, a few years back the Packers didn't have a stellar group of linebackers, but because of injuries at other positions they had to release Hunter Hillenmeyer. Now he starts for the Bears.

The fact the Lions had to release a WR to sign a FB due to injuries doesn't mean the rookie is no good.
The Lions cant give up on Mike Williams already. Probably because they dont want his whole signing bonus to count against the cap this year.

run pMc
10-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I think the ARI D is decent, but I'd feel better with Jennings at #2 and either KoRo or Fergy as the #3. It will be a good test for the kiddie corps...DD is going to see double coverage, plus Rolle and Green aren't bad DB's.

I don't know if signing a vet guarantees an extra 1-2 wins or not, but I think you want the best players for your system on your squad. Some of the guys on the street don't fit because they can't or haven't played in a WCO. Nate Burleson is a decent receiver, but he's in the SEA doghouse cuz he's having trouble adapting to the WCO. Also, with a vet there are bigger salary considerations, as well as whether they've been suspended, whether they are team guys, etc.

Maybe I'm foolishly on the Ruvell bandwagon...but I thought Ruvell did some good things that don't get noticed (blocking, staying in bounds to run the clock down, awareness of the sidelines & 1sst down markers). On the last TD drive Francies came up big with that Favre pass...just running the right route & hanging on to the ball feels like improvement vs. last year's WR mess. Both have been thru camp, so they should know the system by now, and they stepped up. That builds confidence, and for a young team that's important. Now they gotta do it again.

I don't think Bodiford will see much time this week...expect lots of double TE stuff. If he's got talent, they'll keep him; if there's someone better I expect TT will bring them in for a tryout.

Iron Mike
10-31-2006, 06:44 PM

I think YOU'RE forgetting we're playing the Cardinals this weekend. :jig:

Go ahead and give me my props!!!!!

http://www.tellmagazine.com.au/page5/s06images/s06p23tomorrow1.jpg