PDA

View Full Version : Rain Man

Charles Woodson
04-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Has anyone seen this? if so what were your thoughts. i saw it a while ago and thought it was phenominal. I loved it. It had Tom cruise and dustin hoffman.

Harlan Huckleby
04-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Ted Thompson would have been excellent in the title role as rain man. He could submit any of his press conferences as an audition tape.

Tarlam!
04-22-2006, 05:46 AM
This was a great car movie. I am surprised ND hasn't come outta his redneck closet on this thread!

All jokes aside, I loved how Hofman spoke on Oscar night. I was touched by the film.

Iron Mike
04-22-2006, 07:05 AM
I have a son with Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism.

This movie makes me cry EVERY time. :cry:

Tarlam!
04-22-2006, 07:19 AM
I have a son with Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism.

This movie makes me cry EVERY time. :cry:

Mike, I know zip about Asperger's. Would you be inclined to share?

Iron Mike
04-22-2006, 07:23 AM
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

Tarlam!
04-22-2006, 07:28 AM

Thanks.

My boy was a premy. He is quite different in his perception of the world. I have often thought he was close to autism, but, he's not autistic. The symtoms described seem to fit. I will have him checked on this. What a valuable exchange!

Iron Mike
04-22-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks.

My boy was a premy. He is quite different in his perception of the world. I have often thought he was close to autism, but, he's not autistic. The symtoms described seem to fit. I will have him checked on this. What a valuable exchange!

Good luck with that. The prognosis is better if it is diagnosed early.

Iron Mike
04-22-2006, 07:31 AM
BTW, Raymond Babbitt in the movie is an autistic savant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_savant

Tarlam!
04-22-2006, 07:43 AM
I was in a drive through last night with my boy. i asked what hapy meal toy he wanted. He described it, bit there are 11 toys and his description might have fit 5.

I asked him what number. He said "number?". He couldn't recognize that there were numbers that correspoded to the pictures. I instantly felt like a pathetic father. He's 11 and I only realized last night he needs spectacles.

Anyone with kids reading this: Don't think cause they look like you, or have your features (like eye colour) that they are exactly like you. I made this mistake and my boy has clearly suffered during his classes because I was too ignorant to have his eyes checked.

GBRulz
04-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Ted Thompson would have been excellent in the title role as rain man. He could submit any of his press conferences as an audition tape.

LOL

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Tarlam, doesn't the school do regular eye sight screening there? They do it here every year at school and if there seems to be a problem you get a letter home saying they suggest you take your child to get an eye exam by an Ophthalmologist/Optometrist.

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 01:21 PM
.......and also, don't beat yourself up for not catching it sooner because you really don't know at what point he needed them. Be thankful you caught it now.

MJZiggy
04-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Good point. There is so much with kids that is just not obvious.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I can't answer. I thought it was overrated, but it's not like it was unwatchable.

K-town
04-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Rain Man has two of the all time great movie lines:
1) "K-Mart sucks!"
2) "I'm an excellent driver."

For those two reaons alone, it's a great movie.
Also, I used to have a mad crush for Valeria Golino.

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Definitely the Padres.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Rain Man has two of the all time great movie lines:
1) "K-Mart sucks!"
2) "I'm an excellent driver."

For those two reaons alone, it's a great movie.
Also, I used to have a mad crush for Valeria Golino.

How about:

"The red one always falls the same way..." :?

oregonpackfan
04-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Speaking of Rain Man, I'm still in therapy because Judge Woppner is not shown out here on the West Coast!

Oregonpackfan

woodbuck27
07-05-2006, 05:34 AM
I was just listing my fav movies tonight on a thread on page one and I plum forgot Rain Man. An excellent movie.

Dustin Hoffman really shows his talent in this really fine movie.

He can really drive well and pick up the chicks.

ranks66
07-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Has anyone seen this? if so what were your thoughts. i saw it a while ago and thought it was phenominal. I loved it. It had Tom cruise and dustin hoffman.

It was a great movie...bout the only good Tom Cruise movie.