PDA

View Full Version : WEEK 6 PI BLOGGER ANALYSIS

Bretsky
10-27-2006, 12:59 AM
THURSDAY, Oct. 26, 2006, 12:21 p.m.

Week 6 analysis
I didn’t think (Daryn) Colledge played that bad. Here’s the deal: You’ve got a guard playing tackle. At guard when you’re pass blocking, you’re aggressive, you sink your hips and you have to lean on those guys. If you have a 320-pound tackle bull-rushing you, you lean on him. You can’t just sit there and catch. Now, at tackle, it’s a little different technique. You can’t lean. If you lean what happens is what happened those first couple times when Colledge allowed pressure. You’re out in space against a guy who usually is a lot more athletic and what you have to do is kick back, stay balanced, don’t attack and wait for him to come. Then, lock out. What happened the first couple times with Colledge was that he got caught leaning like he would playing guard. On the first one, he got his weight out over his toes. That’s how he got knocked off. The second sack he gave up, he was leaning and (Jason) Taylor grabbed him and used his weight against him. All Taylor had to do was tug him. Other than that, Colledge played well. They slid protection for him. But later in the game, he started balancing up and kicking back nice.

The offensive line still had problems cutting off the backside. Another glaring weakness is that they’re just not as strong as they need to be. On those third-and-ones, they have to be able to move the line of scrimmage. They know the count. They know where they’re going. It has happened all year on those third-and-ones. Pressure up the gut and they can’t get a yard. I thought (Tony) Moll, in particular, played horrible. On those plays off-tackle to the right side, he just couldn’t cut his guy off. I don’t think Moll is as good as (Jason) Spitz and Colledge. I don’t think Moll has the leg strength right now. The Packers did have good blocking on the edge. I thought (Mark) Tauscher played well. They blocked at the point of attack. The problem was the cut-off blocking in the middle. I’m talking the guards, especially Tony Moll.

That long run didn’t impress me as much as some of the other runs Ahman Green had. There’s a head-and-shoulders difference between him and (Noah) Herron and (Vernand) Morency. Morency runs straight up and down. And Herron doesn’t have that extra gear. So the two- or three-yard runs that those guys get, Green turns into a six-yard run. Green is always going forward, always has good pad level. He gets those pads out in front of him and he’s always going forward. To me, that’s the sign of a good back. But, obviously, he kicked in the burners. That’s what everybody has been waiting for and he showed that he still can.

Brandon Miree is head and shoulders above what (William) Henderson could bring to the table right now. Miree doesn’t knock them on their a--, but he hits them and he’s able to redirect. He doesn’t whiff. He gets a body on a body. And he shows a little niftiness when he gets the ball.

(Aaron) Kampman is a smart ballplayer. We all know that. He’s technically sound. What he lacks in athletic ability, he makes up for by being a football player. He’s smart. He doesn’t make any stupid mistakes. He doesn’t go running around. He’s disciplined. You need that on the edge, especially when you’re playing man-to-man coverage.

I’ve really been disappointed in Colin Cole this year. He isn’t playing low. He’s a big, strong man, but it just shows that if you play with poor technique, anybody can beat you. He’s standing up and getting pushed back almost every play. I thought he played better last year. He’s just getting pushed around. He’s strong. Look at the guy. I just think its technique.

There’s no question (Ryan) Pickett can move laterally. He moves laterally very well. He gets a good push on pass rush. You don’t ask your tackles to make sacks, as long as they can collapse the pocket, prevent the quarterback from stepping up. I thought he played a nice game. He’s better when they run away from him than when they run to him. He can slide off blocks and move laterally.

I thought the linebackers played spectacular. I think those guys are pretty darn athletic. Even (Brady) Poppinga surprised me a little bit. But the one thing that jumped out at me was Miami’s first play. That little arrow route with the tight end. There was nobody there. All three linebackers went for the play-fake. I would suspect Poppinga was supposed to be there. I don’t know if he aggressively went for the play fake or they didn’t coach him. The first play of the game! Cripes! Come on! They have to clean that stuff up. It didn’t happen as frequently in this game, but it still happened. (Marty) Booker caught that deep pass and Nick Collins was late getting over the top. They’re the same mistakes that don’t get taken care of week in and week out. But I still think the linebackers are playing well. They miss some tackles from time to time, but they’re far better than they were last year. I like (Nick) Barnett’s hustle. He’s side-to-side. He’s all over the place. He misses some tackles when he doesn’t come under control. That’s something he has always done. So I guess you take the good with the bad. Hawk, 20 yards downfield, is still around the ball. You can’t run away from the guy. A couple times he was matched up on that Wes Welker (a wide receiver). That says an awful lot.

pbmax
10-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Bretsky, is this the scout/former coach that Cliffy introduced last year? The guy that seems to channel KYPacks thoughts? Can't remember the name, but he has seemed on the money so far this year.

Sorry to hear he still thinks we can't cut off the backside. Hopefully Colledge and Spitz are back at their normal guard positions this weekend.

MJZiggy
10-27-2006, 10:04 PM
They should be. A case of the barfs just doesn't last this long.

Fritz
10-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the comments Bretsky. As a Packer fan who's stuck in Lionland, I don't get to see the Pack play much any more, so it's frustrating for me. Thanks for the insights.