PDA

View Full Version : Arizona much better than 1-6

dissident94
10-27-2006, 12:48 PM
I live here in Tucson and do get some Cardinal news. I listen to their sports talk on the way home from work. Arizona is a decent team and one that could really come in and hurt us. I hope they don't, but they have some good talent.

We are not playing The Texans or Detroit this week. Arizona is a 4-3 or 3-4 team diquised as a 1-6 team. Matt Leinart is for real and will be a really solid Qb in this league. Their main fault is their offensive line. Maybe one of the worst run blocking lines I have ever watched. I try to catch their games when the pack is over.

I am actually glad I do not have to wake up early and get to a bar to watch the game this week. I can relax in front of the Tv.

What is really weird is Arizona should change their name back to Phoenix Cradinals. I know more Dallas fans, raiders fans, and Packer fans in Tucson than Cardinal fans. Everyone hates them here.

billy_oliver880
10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey man. I live here in Tempe. But I can say that this team is playing because they lack some key components. Sure they have some talent but they don't have an offensive line. I have watched the last few weeks and they just have lost the competativeness that they need.

ahaha
10-27-2006, 01:30 PM
I would agree that they're a better team than their record indicates, especially with Fitzgerald playing. But, they have some serious problems. I wouldn't go so far as saying they are a 4-3 type team. They got dominated by the Raiders, who have been AWFUL this year. Their offensive line play has been atrocious. If they could get some mediocre play from that group, they might be a .500 type team, but if they don't they're going to lose a lot of games.

MadtownPacker
10-27-2006, 02:10 PM
It is nice to hear how Oline is their weakness. The Pack Dline has been able to generate pressure at times and if they can rattle Leinart things should go well. I dont see their D stopping even the skelton crew Pack O.

PackerTimer
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
i would have agreed that they were better than their record a few weeks ago, but now they are a mess. after the denny green blowup, the meltdown, a terrible offensive line, fitzgerald out, and an beat down by the raiders they certainly look like a 1-6 team right now.

gbpackfan
10-27-2006, 02:53 PM
One could argue that the Packers should be 4-2. Almost any losing team can argue that they are better then their record indicates and have the potential to be much, much better. But as Jon Gruden says, potential is for the birds. The facts are these. The Cardinals ARE 1-6. The Packers ARE 2-4. Neither team should look at this week as an easy win.

Scott Campbell
10-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey man. I live here in Tempe. But I can say that this team is playing because they lack some key components. Sure they have some talent but they don't have an offensive line. I have watched the last few weeks and they just have lost the competativeness that they need.

I was in Tempe last night.

K-town
10-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Take 2: Cardinals vs. Packers
By Scouts, Inc.

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Cardinals and Packers. Now they're back with a second look.

• The Cardinals need a breakout performance from running back Edgerrin James. James, who is averaging 61.7 yards per game, must vastly improve his production to help give the Cardinals a viable rushing attack against the Packers. In the past two games, James has had 50 carries for a total of 89 yards.

• Packers running back Ahman Green has been sidelined with a hamstring injury and returned to action last week in a win over the Dolphins. With Green in the backfield alongside Vernand Morency, the Packers should have a healthy one-two punch to put up yards against Arizona's defensive front.
• Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart got off to a very impressive start in his first two games as the starter. The Cardinals need Leinart to get an early jump on the Packers. Leinart took a pounding last week against the Raiders and will see very good cover corners on the outside in cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris.

• Look for the Packers to disguise a lot of their coverages and bait Leinart into making poor decisions while facing constant pressure. Leinart will be under constant attack from linebackers Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk. Although Barnett leads the team with 48 tackles, the Packers should have Hawk in position to make a lot of plays on Sunday.

• The offensive line for the Cardinals has been a continuous sore spot. Although the Packers' defense allows 389.7 yards per game, it ranks 10th overall in run defense, giving up 96.3 yards per game. This should be a good opportunity for the Cardinals to spread out the Packers' defense and use the passing attack to set up the run.

• Arizona's defense must do a better job of holding opponents on third down. Despite a 1-6 record, the Cardinals lead the NFL with 20 takeaways (9 interceptions, 11 fumbles). Packers QB Brett Favre has settled down over the past two weeks with zero interceptions in those games. Look for the Cardinals to bring consistent pressure outside with DE Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor in an effort to force Favre into making bad decisions.

• Leinart has very good weapons to throw to in wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Boldin has been a clutch receiver for the Cardinals and the go-to man for Leinart when he is in trouble. Fitzgerald has been out the past two weeks, nursing a hamstring injury, and should be an added bonus for Leinart when he is rattled in the pocket and needs a player to make a play for him. Look for the Packers to play a lot of man-to-man and press the Cardinals' receivers and disrupt the timing in passing game.

Special Teams
Cardinals place-kicker Neil Rackers has been struggling to regain his form. In the past, the Cardinals have been able to rely on the consistent, strong leg of Rackers inside the red zone. But now with the inconsistency of Rackers, there's more pressue on Arizona's offense to get the ball into the end zone.
The Packers are now without their two leading kickoff returners in suspended wide receiver Koren Robinson and wide receiver Robert Ferguson, who was placed on injured reserve earlier this week with a foot injury. Look for increased kickoff returns from Morency, who has a very respectable 24.5-yard average. The Cardinals' coverage units have not been playing well, so look for Morency to have big gains on his returns.

Matchups
• Arizona WR Anquan Boldin vs. Green Bay CB Charles Woodson
• Arizona WR Larry Fitzgerald vs. Green Bay CB Al Harris
• Arizona RB Edgerrin James vs. Green Bay RB A.J. Hawk
• Arizona DE Bertrand Berry vs. Green Bay OT Chad Clifton
• Arizona OT Oliver Ross vs. Green Bay DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila

Scouts' Edge
With Green back in action, the Packers feel confident they can turn around their season. A win on the road would help the Cardinals kickstart what has been a dreadful season to date. Look for the Cardinals to use more three- and four-wide receiver formations to help spread out the Packers' defense, which will in turn help open up run lanes for running back James. The Cardinals will again need their defense to play at its highest level and create pressure on Favre and force him to commit turnovers.

Prediction: Cardinals 24, Packers 21

To which I add: "I call Bullshit on that!"

MJZiggy
10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I wonder if any of these folks have been told that Fitzgerald is listed as doubtful on the injury report and hasn't practiced all week...

mmmdk
10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I believe that this game vs Cards is very winnable yet I have a feeling Packers youngsters might look past them. That is dangerous. I also believe Cardinals will try and get Edge going...with screen plays 'cos he won't find many holes sunday.

Packers need a ground game sunday and a good one hence controlling the clock. Packers CANNOT fall behind 'cos that brings out the gunslinger mode and Cards will feast on throws into double coverage. Ok, so Packers must stop the run and I believe they must blitz often - get into the face of Leinart and hit him!!! We can't feed the Card with turnovers either, gotta win the turnover battle. Special teams need better hangtime from Ryan and Packers is due to make big play on a return, it's just time that we do - it's just time.

:cow:

K-town
10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I wonder if any of these folks have been told that Fitzgerald is listed as doubtful on the injury report and hasn't practiced all week...

More "crack" reporting from the Insiders Scout staff at ESPN. :bs:

And by crack I mean they're smokin' the rock. With Pookie. And much of the rest of the cast from New Jack City.

OS PA
10-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I believe that this game vs Cards is very winnable yet I have a feeling Packers youngsters might look past them. That is dangerous. I also believe Cardinals will try and get Edge going...with screen plays 'cos he won't find many holes sunday.

Packers need a ground game sunday and a good one hence controlling the clock. Packers CANNOT fall behind 'cos that brings out the gunslinger mode and Cards will feast on throws into double coverage. Ok, so Packers must stop the run and I believe they must blitz often - get into the face of Leinart and hit him!!! We can't feed the Card with turnovers either, gotta win the turnover battle. Special teams need better hangtime from Ryan and Packers is due to make big play on a return, it's just time that we do - it's just time.

:cow:

The thing with Edge is that he needs a line to run against, if there are no holes they will go to a swing pass or screen in place of runs. Our team, other than the first play of last weeks game, are really really damn good at defending this, seeing as we keep two linebackers in for most passing plays. As long as we have someone staying home we'll win the battle up front and in the middle of the field. In order to win this game Leinart will have to put it in the air 50+ times, which he hasn't done yet. If Fitzy doesn't play it'll be a long day for the Cards.

With this said, the team who's running back puts up the bigger numbers will win this one. I believe Green will be able to run on the Arizona D, because they are ranked 18th in Run Defense and are allowing 113.1 yards per game. Where as the Packers are ranked 10th in Run D allowing 96.3 per game. Another key defensive statistic is the 3rd down stoppage rate. The Packers allow a first on third down 34% of the time, where as Arizona allows one 40.2% of the time. So if the Packers get into short yardage situations on 1st and 2nd they shouldn't have trouble picking up the first.

With this said, i'm expecting and hoping for a Pack win.