PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy - "Solid as a Rock"

vince
10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
More and more people are liking what they are seeing from the leader of the Pack.

Here's a perspective from Tom Oates of the Wisconsin State Journal

GREEN BAY - Not everyone who saw Dennis Green's recent meltdown after Arizona kicked away a game to Chicago thought it was a sign that Green was losing it.

Brady Poppinga thought it was pretty cool.

"That's a passionate coach, man," said Poppinga, the Green Bay Packers' linebacker. "You respect a guy like that because you know that his whole heart and soul is into the game and into winning."

With Arizona playing Sunday at Green Bay, it's natural to compare Green's demeanor with that of first-year Packers coach Mike McCarthy. Like Green, McCarthy has dealt with adversity and losing this season, yet he has maintained his composure. Well, publicly anyway.

"You'd be surprised," Poppinga said. "To me, he's the same kind of guy (as Green). He's very passionate and he's a big-time competitor."

The Packers have learned during their 2-4 start that McCarthy can have quite a temper behind closed doors. However, they've also discovered he is solid as a rock. No matter what has been thrown at him - and he's seen a steady diet of curveballs through six games - McCarthy has been unflappable.

"I just think it's important not to make emotional decisions," he said. "I've made enough emotional decisions in my younger days, particularly in my personal life, to learn from it. I think it's important (to stay even-keeled), especially in the environment that we operate in and particularly on game day. That's my responsibility. That's a coach's responsibility. You're always dealt a hand and I've always been a half-full type of person. That will always be my approach."

McCarthy's approach has been tested - repeatedly.

Twice, he has coaxed victories from the Packers after two straight losses. His roster has an unimaginable 16 rookies yet he hasn't used it as an excuse. He was forced to start three rookies - all out of position - on the offensive line Sunday at Miami after he learned an hour before the game that left tackle Chad Clifton couldn't play. McCarthy calmly made some adjustments early in the game and Green Bay won. This week, injuries and suspensions could reduce the wide receiver corps to Donald Driver and three no- names. McCarthy made it clear he expects the no-names to play and play well.

Of course, every coach tells his team it must overcome adversity, that someone must step up when a player goes down. If they say that and don't mean it, though, the players can tell in a heartbeat. McCarthy remains steady and resolute at such times.

"I don't know if he's calm all the time, but he's got that no- nonsense approach that we're going to be able to handle things," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "He focuses on handling adversity, which I think is a smart thing because it comes up and you have to be able to deal with it. . . . The head coach sets the tone of the team. If your head coach is out there panicking and freaking out, it's going to be (a problem)."

There is much we don't know about McCarthy yet. Can he outcoach people? Can he get his team up for big games? Can he hire capable assistants?

However, McCarthy has aced the first test of being a head coach. He keeps his cool when things go wrong.
I think we'll find out that McCarthy will answer the other questions positively as well. This guy is the right man for the right job.

Packnut
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
He's shown some good things and thanks to his boss, he's playing short-handed. However, let's not forget how bad our D is and the fact that MM is the one that hired Sanders and Shottenidot.

We'll see how and IF he corrects those mistakes in the off-season.

pbmax
10-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I'll give him this. He can game plan an offense better than I hoped, and that's a very good thing.

And after seeming to invite every controversy that could possibly come his way by commenting on it (Harris OTA/no OTA, etc.) he seems to be handling himself better. Even keel works great in the reg season. I wouldn't want him on my crisis PR team, but its gotten better.

But we'll just have to wait and see what happens on the D side.

Fritz
10-28-2006, 01:58 PM
I like MM so far. I like that he seems to be both actually taking Favre's suggestions seriously and still able to coach him (fewer intercepts this year). I wish the dude would run the ball a little more - I didn't get why he didn't do that in the third quarter of the Eagles game when he was playing with the lead against a superior team. The longer the Pack could keep possession, the shorter the game got for the Eagle offense.

But I also like his play calling much better than Sherman's the last two years, when it seemed as if Favre was going deep every third play.

I hope he also shows the cojones after the season to fire Sh_ttenheimer and get a real defensive secondary coach. Maybe get Leroy Butler in there somewhere, just to start him off in his career. And get someone a little more in-your-face to coach the secondary.