PDA

View Full Version : ARod

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Like some others, I wasn't too enamored with the ARod pick last year, but I saw enough this preseason to think he has a shot. He also seems to be doing well in the leadership department. I'm glad he's not ready to make a stink about waiting for his turn.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=524297

Rodgers soaking it all in
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - It would only be natural for Aaron Rodgers to gaze out at Matt Leinart on Sunday at Lambeau Field and wonder what might have been.

Two years ago, Rodgers outplayed Leinart as the University of California almost upset Southern California, 23-17. But now Leinart is the rookie starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals and Rodgers is in his second season as the backup for the Green Bay Packers.

Although Rodgers has played merely 36 snaps as a rookie and 11 this season, he is confident that the pluses of his situation will outweigh the negatives.

"When I look back on my career, and this is no disrespect to the quarterback coaches I've had. . . . I've had two incredible ones. . . . I've had the opportunity to work with the greatest quarterback coach I could possibly ask for," Rodgers said Friday. "And that's Brett Favre."

Rodgers, who doesn't turn 23 until December, said he doesn't know if his stint as Favre's backup will last two, three or maybe even four years.

As Rodgers waits his turn, he relishes his ring-side seat as the final chapters of Favre's career unfold. Here is Rodgers' take on just some of the things that make Favre what he is:

Favre's command of the huddle: "He's got complete command. I'm far enough away where I can't hear everything he says but I've heard a few things. He keeps it light."

How he deals with his past two position coaches, Darrell Bevell and Tom Clements: "He's very respectful but he's got a lot of ideas, which I know he hopes they'll listen to, and they usually do. We'll be watching the film and Brett will throw out a suggestion and we'll stop the film and Tom will write down his suggestion and take it up with coach (Mike) McCarthy and coach 'Jags' (Jeff Jagodzinski). There's a real open relationship and there's great communication in there. Tom's been in the league a long time and at the same time Brett has been. So there's a strong mutual respect between the two of them."

His interaction with backup quarterbacks: "We got a great relationship. We're often the butt of jokes but we enjoy that. He's a great guy, a great teammate. It's hard to really explain who he is unless you're around him all the time because he's such a dynamic person. He's real easy to work with. I can't even call it work. He's real easy to play with, I guess. He always keeps the mood light. He's a great example of what it takes to survive in this league."

His courage, toughness and ability to play hurt: "Against Tennessee last year in pre-season when he hurt his ankle. They're yelling at me to get on the field. I'm hesitating. I'm like, 'Brett Favre is not going to take himself out of any game.' They're screaming at me, and he can hear it as well. He's waving them off. Finally, they're throwing me out on the field. I'm like, 'Oh great, I'm going to run out there and he's going to wave me off.' I didn't want to do anything to offend Brett. So they finally get him to come off the field. He comes back three plays later. . . . You see him on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, his body's aching. Even Thursday, Friday and Saturday. His body is sore. I can only imagine everything that he plays with."

His effectiveness when he speaks out within the team: "He picks his spots. He's not extremely vocal. When he speaks it's when he feels he's supposed to. It's always in opportune times and when we need that. Last year, we were 2-9 or 2-10, and everyone was down. He gave us about a five-minute speech after practice one day. Playing with pride. Not being selfish. Believing in something other than yourself. It was incredibly effective and inspiring."

The humor he brings to the workplace: "There's something new all the time. His body sounds. I'll leave that up to the imagination. Just his one-liners. When I first met Tom Clements I didn't see his sense of humor. Until Brett got here. I'll tell you, Tom has loosened up. It's hard to keep a straight face when Brett's in the room and he's cracking jokes and making body sounds. This happens all the time, no matter what time of day or where we're at."
His view on controversial issues: "He always speaks from the heart. Sometimes people construe that the wrong way. What he said about Koren (Robinson) was exactly what I was feeling."

His post-game press conferences: "To be honest, I actually watch his post-game interviews. I've done that since I was kid. Because I feel like you can learn something from everybody. I think he speaks really well. He's always good about deflecting credit."

Weightlifting and conditioning: "He works out. They wanted to make sure we were in shape in training camp. The quarterbacks would run extra gassers after practice. The funniest thing, and it would kind of (upset him) piss him off a little bit, would be these fans along the fence saying, 'C'mon, old man, run.' That was not cool. And he was working hard. I just hope when I'm 37 I can run the same way he does."

Ability as a ballhandler: "I think he's incredible. I've heard people say, 'Why does Brett hold the ball out there on a run play? They're just telegraphing the run.' His ballhandling is the same whether it's a run or a play-action pass. The great play-action quarterbacks, like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, hold the ball out there as long as they can to draw the defenders in so the windows can open up downfield. His ballhandling is very underrated. His footwork is also extremely, extremely good."

His progressions and reading of defenses: "I think he's doing really, really good. He's doing what they want him to do."

His relationship with McCarthy: "I think they have great communication. I keep seeing plays being put in that Brett's been talking about maybe the week before, or during the week and they'll be put in later in the week. So I know they have to spend a lot of time together. There's definitely a trust between them that if coach McCarthy puts a play in that Brett wanted Brett's going to execute it and make it effective. That's really important. I think that's a great quality coach McCarthy has. An ability to interact. It's not a one-way conversation. There's a give-and-take."

On being a star: "He handles it great. It's hard to comment because I don't know what he grows through. He doesn't put himself above the team. He doesn't act like he's got a bunch of money in the bank, even though he does. It's refreshing, it's really refreshing."

Bretsky
10-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for posting this; what a class act AROD is. He's very well spoken and well liked.

I first got this tune on the way home from GB after a game last year listening to post game. They were discussing AROD and his teammates views of him.

One of the guy was speaking to Mike Flanagan, who tended to speak his mind quite freely. They were asking him about the young players and their maturity and progress and AROD came up.

Flanagan said AROD was very well liked amongst his teammates, was humble, and had everyone's respect....unlike that little "bleep" over there........and he pointed to Ahman Carrol's locker.

It's neat hearing some of the behind the scenes kind of stuff; wish I could hear that stuff on a daily basis.

B

BF4MVP
10-28-2006, 03:34 AM
I really enjoyed reading that article.

As B said, A-Rod is a class act.

Looks like they messed up when they tried to edit one of the quotes though:

The funniest thing, and it would kind of (upset him) piss him off a little bit
That's like if a player would say "Man, we played like shit today." And the paper printed: "Man, we played like (expletive) shit today." :lol:

chewy-bacca
10-28-2006, 07:38 AM
^^ I want to know whos calling Brett an "old man" while running sprints!!! :mad:

yall better get off his back, or im coming up there!! :cat:

that was a fun read though. I bet Brett does more than he lets on with the young guys

MJZiggy
10-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Classy kid, and the first one I've ever read to say that Brett had footwork that was "extremely, extremely good." Usually that's the thing the "experts" like to criticize.

GBRulz
10-28-2006, 09:35 AM
It's so nice to see articles like that where the reporter isn't asking questions just to fish for something controversial to write. Great piece!

Aaron is a class act though. Not only from what you read about him, but one night I had the opportunity to hang out with him as he was at this bar with a mutual friend. I've also seen him around a couple of times after that and he actually remembers me and always says hello.

I've never seen him turn down an autograph request or blow a fan off, either. Even one night at Texas RoadHouse, he was there with Cliffy, Driver and some other guy.. people went up to their table asking for autographs and he had no problem with it. Personally, that type of thing irritates me when fans bother the players on their private time. Those are the same fans who are the first to bitch about bothering a player who won't give them an autograph. 99% of the time, it's the out of town fans who get star-struck I guess.

However as much as I like the guy...Brett is still #1 in my book and should play until he's 40 :wink:

run pMc
10-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Class act or not, there were 2 things that I found encouraging: ARod is showing a lot of patience (publicly) about playing, and the comments about how M3, Jags, Clements and Favre all seem to have good working relationships based on communication.
I've seen M3 talk to Favre more this year than Sherman did all of last year...that can only be a good thing IMO.

esoxx
10-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Very impressed with Rodgers character. We can't really judge him on the field yet but there doesn't seem much doubt that he's a first class human being. High character at QB is essential so he's got a chance.

Look at the character difference between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. It does matter.

Fritz
10-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Okay, kudos to Rodgers, but you're all missing the really valuable information buried in the interview: what's with this whole "body sounds" thing about Favre? What is he, the human fart machine? Does he rip them in meetings and on the field? Can he rip them at will? And does "body sounds" include burping? Can he burp at will, too? If so, how loud?

My god, people, key information is being leaked to us, but you're off yammering about issues like "respect" and "class." You'd all be lost without me.

MJZiggy
10-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Okay, kudos to Rodgers, but you're all missing the really valuable information buried in the interview: what's with this whole "body sounds" thing about Favre? What is he, the human fart machine? Does he rip them in meetings and on the field? Can he rip them at will? And does "body sounds" include burping? Can he burp at will, too? If so, how loud?

My god, people, key information is being leaked to us, but you're off yammering about issues like "respect" and "class." You'd all be lost without me.
Some of this info was covered on the cd that came with his book, so in answer to your questions, yes, yes, evidently, I believe so, yes, very.

Does this help?

GrnBay007
10-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Favre and Holmgren had been through two reasonably successful seasons together, but the coach still wasn't sure what to make of his QB. The December before, the Packers were playing the Oakland Raiders at Lambeau on a bitterly cold day — the wind chill was 22 degrees below zero — with a shot at the playoffs on the line.

During a timeout late in the game, Holmgren realized Favre wasn't hearing a word he was saying and had a "goofy" look on his face. He grabbed Favre by the shoulder pads to get his attention. Didn't matter.

"Coach, you should see your mustache," Favre said.

Favre later explained to Minneapolis' Star Tribune, "He had snot frozen in a shield of ice completely over his mustache. I couldn't help but laugh. I had never been in that kind of cold. Thank God we won, because he couldn't believe I wasn't all business."

Bless our Favre, huh? lol There will never again be anyone like him. I really hope after he retires his wife Deana writes a book on what it was like to be married to the HOF'er Brett Favre.

Tarlam!
10-29-2006, 04:18 AM
I bin saying it all day long, every day since we drafted him: AROD is a great guy and we fans should be supportive.

I agree, #4 till he's 42. But, I hope the haters at least give AROD a chance before they continue calling him a wasted pick. That includes all the people who want TT to pick Quinn if we get a chance!

Fritz
10-29-2006, 08:38 AM

Some of this info was covered on the cd that came with his book, so in answer to your questions, yes, yes, evidently, I believe so, yes, very.

Does this help?

Yes, it helps - thanks Zig. But it gets me to wondering. Look, if Favre can rip at will, and if they're really loud, why not incorporate a play where Favre calls out the signals, but the snap is not at "hut" but at a big Favre ripper. The defensive players who rely on sound for the beginning of the play will be caught off guard. I can see using this in an important game, and getting that half second extra for your offense to move before the entire defense even knows what has happened.

My genius knows no bounds.