PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's pre-game rituals, great article

motife
10-28-2006, 06:55 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061028/PKR07/610280311/1989

Mike McCarthy column: My pregame includes cardio, Mass, review

During training camp this past summer, I spoke at several news conferences about the importance of developing a routine for the players. I believe we're all creatures of habit, and we perform at our best when we work a consistent routine.

The same can be said about game day, for both players and coaches. I go through my pre-game routine to develop a finality and comfort on what is potentially the most intense day of every week.

I wouldn't say I have any crazy superstitions, like baseball players who put their socks on the same way every single day, but I try to keep my routine the same whether we're at home or on the road.

I'll get up around 5 a.m. and get in a cardio workout to clear my head and start my day.

Next, if the game is at noon, I go to Mass (4½ hours before the game) and might stop in at the pregame meal, but I usually don't eat much before a game. I might have a bowl of oatmeal, or I'll look for a Starbucks, even though I probably shouldn't.

I then head to the stadium. I like to get there on the first bus, about three hours before the game, and settle in to wherever my area is — my office at Lambeau Field, or a locker room at the road stadium.

For the next hour or so, I focus on my final step of pregame preparation — I go over my play-calling sheet one last time.

I've been through it a number of times Friday and Saturday, but I like to go through it one last time on game day.

I have a system of highlighting for my final run-through, and some of you have probably seen the different colors on the call sheet when I'm on the sideline. I highlight all my starting points for every situation in the game, and I rethink all the different directions the game can go — if we jump ahead, fall behind, if there are injuries.

I really enjoy the quiet time to sit and review everything. I've always done that since I've been calling plays. If there are any plays the quarterback and I don't feel good about, I'll throw them out, because those are decisions you don't want to be making on the sideline.

There's enough to think about during the game already that you have to feel good about every play on your call sheet before you hit the field.

Next, we finalize the inactive players for the game and turn that in just before meeting with the officials, during which we go over a lot of basic info. They'll ask if we have any special concerns regarding the rules or the other team, or if we have any trick plays or strange formations they should be aware of ahead of time.

Then I have my pregame radio interview with Wayne Larrivee for the Packers Radio Network, and if it's a Monday night game, I might have another radio interview with the national network.

I always find the time to call my daughter and parents before every game. We don't talk about much, but it's just a chance to say hello, and they wish me luck.

About an hour before kickoff, I go out onto the field for the pregame workout. I believe there needs to be a tempo and a rhythm to preparation, so I observe a lot of guys. I also make sure the quarterback is getting enough throws to feel ready and has established a rhythm and timing comfort.

A lot of times, you can tell when guys are ready to play based on the way they go through pregame. You watch their body language, and you can tell whether there's a sense of urgency in their approach. You also need to guard against over-analyzing pregame.

When we do our team reps, I'm in the offensive huddle and really watch how the guys execute the snaps. You watch how guys are focusing on their technique and fundamentals. Are the receivers looking every ball in and then tucking it away? Are the linemen keeping their pads down?

Football is always won and lost on fundamentals. That's one thing I know never will change about this game.

Then about 20 minutes before kickoff, we head back to the locker room, and I start rehearsing in my head the three or four points I want to emphasize, to reinforce the message I've delivered to the team throughout the week.

As the pregame wraps up, we call the team together for The Lord's Prayer.

Then I give the final talk I've been thinking about, we get back together, break down with "Packers on 3," and we hit the field running.

There's sometimes a lot of anxiety before a game, but you have to not only get yourself ready but need to enjoy the experiences of competing on an NFL game field.

Professional sports is such a unique way to make a living, and success is certainly demanded, but you have to remain conscious of how special it is to be a part of the Green Bay Packers and the NFL.

Mike McCarthy is coach of the Green Bay Packers. His column appears each week in Packers Preview.

chewy-bacca
10-28-2006, 07:50 AM
GO PACK GO!!

Fritz
10-28-2006, 01:49 PM
"As the pregame wraps up, we call the team together for The Lord's Prayer."

I can't wait until the Packers draft an atheist or a Muslim or something.

The Leaper
10-28-2006, 02:06 PM

I believe this is a rather standard practice by most NFL teams...not just Green Bay.

I also believe it is voluntary, so anyone who chooses not to do it can pass.

It is a non-issue.

Fritz
10-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm just saying it's weird, man. Weird. We don't gather around in the morning where I work and say The Lord's Prayer, and I don't think that happens at Burger King or in the offices of ExxonMobil.

It's actually an interesting issue - that whole thing some teams do or used to do, where after a game a bunch of players from both teams got together to publicly pray. You don't see that in hockey or baseball. I wonder why football is so closely associated with public displays of Christianity?

superfan
10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm just saying it's weird, man. Weird. We don't gather around in the morning where I work and say The Lord's Prayer, and I don't think that happens at Burger King or in the offices of ExxonMobil.

It's actually an interesting issue - that whole thing some teams do or used to do, where after a game a bunch of players from both teams got together to publicly pray. You don't see that in hockey or baseball. I wonder why football is so closely associated with public displays of Christianity?

You aren't likely to get blind-sided by a 250 lb LB with 4.5 speed at Burger King either, and possibly get an injury that will affect you for the rest of your life. It's not on the same level, but it's a better comparison with the military--which is very similar.

Fritz
10-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, there you go. An interesting idea. Perhaps it is a more apt comparison, and all the more interesting because while religion seems more important in both the military and in the NFL, both those places are also home to higher rates of drug use and sexual behavior (okay, if you ask me how I know this that's a fair question but I'm generalizing for the moment).

I mean, you hear all the stories about out-of-control football players and military men as well as the increased attention to Christianity and spiritual matters. Maybe it's because both those kinds of behavior (religion and destructive behaviors) are responses to being put in a dangerous situation. Hmm.

Brando19
10-28-2006, 03:20 PM
"As the pregame wraps up, we call the team together for The Lord's Prayer."

Wow... :roll:

Fritz
10-28-2006, 03:29 PM
When I was watching the World Cup this summer I saw some Iranian or Iraqi player score a goal and then kneel and bow toward Mecca, right while he was on the field. Reminded me of football players who score a touchdown and then point up to the heavens. I mean, I don't mind it or anything. It's just an interesting perspective, giving credit to God or Allah right after you score.

K-town
10-28-2006, 03:44 PM
When I was watching the World Cup this summer I saw some Iranian or Iraqi player score a goal and then kneel and bow toward Mecca, right while he was on the field. Reminded me of football players who score a touchdown and then point up to the heavens. I mean, I don't mind it or anything. It's just an interesting perspective, giving credit to God or Allah right after you score.

I'm pretty sure God, Allah, Buddha, etc., doesn't care whether or not a playa scores a touchdown or a GOOOOOAAAAAALLL or whatever. I hope that the supreme deity(s) is concentrating on more important issues, like easing the suffering of war, famine, etc. (or preventing. Preventing is good). And, of course, my winning Powerball ticket.

Actually Touchdown Jesus at Notre Dame is concerned with (Irish) touchdowns. Except that it's just a statue, not the real Jesus. :eyes:

motife
10-28-2006, 03:55 PM
anything done at this high of a level, that creates the butterflies in the stomach moment, requires a still point to move out of.

those who say they are "in the zone" are describing a real experience where the body moves all by itself, the mind is just going along for the ride. This explains the amazing "eyes in the back of his head" runs of Gayle Sayers for example.

the performers who really know what this is about are in Japan. A gifted Samuarai spent hours in meditation everyday.

The speed of the NFL game, and the level of talent you're facing, seperates it from college. Add to that the fear of being cut, ala Ahmad Carroll or Jim Fassel. This is an emotional game. And with so few games in an NFL season compared to MLB or the NBA, each game is almost a Super Bowl in itself.

Anyone who doesn't try to find some mode of "centering" before a game is not going to last long in the NFL. The mode is optional.

even playing the Star Spangled Banner before a game adds to the "tension".

vince
10-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Football is always won and lost on fundamentals. That's one thing I know never will change about this game.
This is what makes McCarthy so solid. That's how you take young players and turn them into solid NFL contributors - teaching and focusing on the fundamentals of execution day in and day out, and emphasizing individual accountability within the team framework.

This is what makes me so high on this guy. I don't think this team will experience letdowns. Mike McCarthy will have prepared them and focused the team in ways that won't allow it. And this is why this team will continue to get better and better.

There is a ceiling this year because of inexperience in playing together with the new schemes and not enough talent in a few areas, but the future is bright folks.

Yeah, Mike McCarthy has some things to learn about dealing with the press and he is reliant on his defensive coaches' schemes and teaching effectiveness, as are all head coaches, but this guy knows what it takes to be a winner in this league, and he knows how to get there. Some of the finer things will take some time for him, but he'll get those down quickly, and he'll keep moving this team forward.

A lot of people will probably dismiss this and say that this is what ALL coaches say. Not at this level.

You'd NEVER hear this quote come from a guy like Mike Martz, and we all saw the result of how his team's lack of fundamental execution created porous defenses and a lot of turnovers over the years of his tenure.

But you'd hear it all the time from someone like Vince Lombardi. Enough said.

Fritz
10-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Since coach-speak predominates anymore in the NFL (I'll puke if I hear another coach call a f_ck up a "fixable error" or says "we're going to get that corrected"), it's hard to get a read on the coaches. I do like what MM has done so far, though, particularly in terms of how he's coaching Favre. I also think MM has that steady-at-the-helm attitude without being fixed in stone or distant, like a certain former Packer coach. He's still learning, and I wish he'd run the ball more, but he's not a clown or anything. I don't fear him as a liability and get worried he'll be outcoached all the time.

vince
10-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Since coach-speak predominates anymore in the NFL (I'll puke if I hear another coach call a f_ck up a "fixable error" or says "we're going to get that corrected"), it's hard to get a read on the coaches. I do like what MM has done so far, though, particularly in terms of how he's coaching Favre. I also think MM has that steady-at-the-helm attitude without being fixed in stone or distant, like a certain former Packer coach. He's still learning, and I wish he'd run the ball more, but he's not a clown or anything. I don't fear him as a liability and get worried he'll be outcoached all the time.
This article isn't McCarthy responding to a question framed by a reporter though. This is McCarthy writing about whatever he wants - a truer picture into what he thinks about and what's important to him. And over time, you can get a feel for his philosophical approach by listening to the consistencies in what he says. Stressing fundamentals, building on successes, and individual accountability ring through the statements we hear from him consistently. He doesn't have Bill Cowher's chiseled chin, but I think it's a mistake to think he's not every bit as tough-minded and focused on what it takes to succeed in the game of football. I have no doubt he's going to be successful. He says - and most importantly, does - the things that are required to get there.

MJZiggy
10-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree with that Vince. He's been saying the exact same things since day one. There are patterns to what he's saying and they are consistent with what he's doing.

ahaha
10-29-2006, 10:08 AM

I'd like to see a guy that gets beat for a TD do some gesture against God. Maybe raising his hand to the sky and whipping out "the finger" to show his displeasure with God for allowing him to be beat. Or maybe pointing at the ground and shaking a fist like he's blaming the devil for his misfortune. That would be hilarious!

FavreChild
10-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Fritz, I, for one, stopped reading the article as soon as I saw "Mass" in the sub-head.

MJZiggy
10-29-2006, 10:49 AM
They need to go to Mass after what they said in the game the week before... :oops: