PDA

View Full Version : Madtown Is Rockin' Tonight...

Fosco33
10-28-2006, 04:37 PM
All I can say, this weekend was one of the best annual events during my time at UW (along w/ welcome week and Mifflin St Block Party). I wish I was gonna be there...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/28/halloween.party.ap/index.html

Town fears street party could become a monster mash
POSTED: 1:55 p.m. EDT, October 28, 2006
Adjust font size:
MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- To avoid the mayhem that previously marred a downtown Halloween party that attracts up to 100,000 people, leaders in Madison, Wisconsin, are imposing new restrictions and tighter controls this year.

Whether the changes are just the trick needed to make the Saturday night event a treat won't be clear until the witching hour, when the bars close and police want costumed revelers to leave. Officers have used pepper spray to disperse the crowd the past four years.

Playboy magazine cited the annual event when it named the University of Wisconsin-Madison the nation's top party school in April. But the celebration is taking on a different look this year, thanks to city and campus leaders who have tired of the violence.

Police had arrested 68 people as of early Saturday morning after the opening night of the celebration, significantly lower than the number of arrests following the party's start last year. Police spokesman Mike Hanson did not list the charges but said 13 of those arrested went to jail.

While the city has not officially sanctioned the event, it is for the first time selling tickets for access to State Street, a pedestrian-only avenue lined with bars, restaurants and shops. Police plan to block off streets to enforce the $5 admission fee.

City officials have lined up bands to play on two stages at either end of State Street. They gave the event a start and end time -- 7:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. -- and a name, "Freakfest on State Street."

Police hope to avoid riot gear, pepper spray
Organizers hope to put a damper on the rowdy behavior by controlling access to the party. They also hope ticket sales will help to recoup some of the police costs, which were estimated at $600,000 last year.

"Our hope is that we can get through this year without having to use pepper spray or have cops in riot gear," Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said. "I'll consider it to be a success if the event ends peacefully, and there are no serious injuries and property damage."

But the city is making no promises. A Web site it created with details about the event carries a disclaimer: "The City of Madison cannot and does not guarantee your safety at this event. You enter the event area at your own risk and are responsible for your own actions and safety."

Based on ticket sales in the weeks heading up to "Freakfest," the changes were not going over well with people looking to party. Just 8,500 of the 80,000 tickets printed had sold as of Thursday.

Most tickets will be sold Saturday, in the hours leading up to the event, said Tom Wangard, a UW-Madison sophomore.

Wangard and other students initially argued for changing the location of the party to a nearby street to avoid the city's interference. But after working with officials, Wangard now supports the event and said he expects it to be a success.

Rock throwing, car tipping
But he also said there is always a potential for mayhem.

In 2002, revelers threw rocks and bottles, breaking at least 12 windows and damaging police cars before officers broke out the tear gas.

In 2003, store windows were broken and at least two cars were tipped over. Then, in 2004, a small bonfire started. Police used pepper spray to break up the crowd and arrested 450 people.

Last year, 447 people were arrested. Police also used pepper spray to quell a crowd of about 2,000.

Police presence this year will be comparable with the past, with 225 officers on duty Friday night and more than 250 on duty Saturday, said Mike Hanson, a spokesman for Madison police.

Even though the bands will stop playing at 1:30 a.m., bars are allowed under state law to stay open until 2:30 a.m. And because daylight-saving time ends at 2 a.m., bar-goers will have an extra hour to imbibe.

The goal is to have State Street cleared and back to normal before the bars empty, said Joel Plant, the city's alcohol policy coordinator. In past years, revelers leaving bars added to the difficulty of dealing with the commotion started by others, he said.

"We're not going to force anything," Cieslewicz said. "As long as it's a peaceful, I don't care if I'm there until 5 in the morning."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

justanotherpackfan
10-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I have to wait a few more years myself.

chewy-bacca
10-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I wanna go!!

GrnBay007
10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I wanna go!!

I think u are a lil late coming from FL :sad:

I only frequented the bars once in Madison.....and if I remember correctly I was a minor. :shock: It was fun though.

oregonpackfan
10-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I watched the Badger-Illinois game today. The camera often panned to the spectators in the crowd wearing all sorts of costumes and getting crazy in the stands. It may well be a wild time on State St. tonight!

OPF

chewy-bacca
10-29-2006, 09:40 AM
anyone got any "stats" from the party last night?

FavreChild
10-29-2006, 10:52 AM
JS said only 35,000 people (wonder why?). less than half of the estimated 80,000 from last year. But no riots or pepper spray.

oregonpackfan
10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
JS said only 35,000 people (wonder why?). less than half of the estimated 80,000 from last year. But no riots or pepper spray.

I read that in order to attend the party, participants needed to "buy tickets."
That may be the reason for the decline in the numbers.

OPF

FavreChild
10-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Aha!

So it's just a way for mayor Dave C. to spin things. OK, makes sense.

Congrats on that huge Oregon State win yesterday, OPF!!

Partial
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I was there for the 4th year in a row and as usual I find it to be overhyped. It's really just about the same as every other weekend, because the bars are always crowded and a good time, state street is irritating since it is too crowded, impossible to walk, and not a whole lot to do other than go to the bars, and then there are the standard house parties. It's a good time for sure, but its certainly not as good as the hype makes it out to be.

retailguy
10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
I wanna go!!

I think u are a lil late coming from FL :sad:

I only frequented the bars once in Madison.....and if I remember correctly I was a minor. :shock: It was fun though.

You're a minor? Wow. I've never been in a mine....lol :wink:

oregonpackfan
10-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Aha!

Thanks FavreChild.

The Oregon State upset of USC was so huge my Pastor even made reference to it in today's worship! :smile:

OPF

digitaldean
10-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Aha!

Thanks FavreChild.

The Oregon State upset of USC was so huge my Pastor even made reference to it in today's worship! :smile:

OPF

Corvallis had to be rockin' last night!! I was laughing my butt off when the punt was returned for a TD.

USC was living on the edge for too long and OSU finally made them pay.

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
I read that it was a $5 charge to get on to State Street. As a Madtown native and UW alum, I'm glad things didn't get out of hand this year like they sometimes used to--the smashed windows and wounded people gave the town a black eye in more ways than one.