motife
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Ladanian Tomlinson SD 25-183 yds rushing 51 yard long carry
Isaac Bruce Stl 5 rec, 105 yds
Shawn Merriman SD 3 sacks
Mike Bell Den, 15-136 yds rushing, 2TD, 48 long
Reggie Wayne IND, 10 rec, 138 yds, 3 TD's
Peyton Manning IND, 32-39-0 3TD's 345yds
Raiders look to beat Pittsburgh while having less than 100 yards total offense, while Pittsburgh has 350. Rothlesberger 4 INT's.
Kellen Winslow CLE 7 rec, 76 yards
Reuben Droughns CLE 33 carries, 125 yards
Titans beat Texans with about 150 yards offense, Texans 350
Wali Lundy Hou 18 carries 116 yards
Owen Daniels Hou 9 rec 99 yards, 2 TD
Andre Johnson Hou 9 rec 78 yards 1 TD
Fred Taylor Jax 15 carries 103 yards
Marques Colston NO 6 rec 163 yards 2 TD's (rookie of the year?)
Joe Horn NO 5 rec 126 yards
Drew Brees NO 383 yards passing, 3TD's, 3INT's
Larry Johnson KC 39 carries 155 yards, 3 TD's
Eddie Kennison KC 6 rec 132 yds
Tony Gonzales KC 6 rec 116 yds
Michael Vick Atl 20/28/0 291 yards, 3 TD's, 9 carries 55 yards, (7 passing TD's in 2 wks)
Thomas Jones Chi 23 carries 111 yards
Frank Gore SF 12 carries 111 yards
Rex Grossman Chi 23/29/0 252 yards 3 TD's
Chicago 5 forced fumbles, 4 recovered, 1 INT by Urlacher

Brainerd
10-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Peyton Manning is a beast. The only current QB that has any chance at all of catching Favre and Marino. That guy can just flat out play the QB position. Should he win a SB I fear that Favre will be a forgotten hero remembered only by us Packers fans.

The Leaper
10-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Favre...thru 7 games on pace for:

3800 yards
23 TD
11 INT
7 wins

And a quick response to the retirement question after the offseason...with a resounding "I'll see you in September."

The Leaper
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Peyton Manning is a beast. The only current QB that has any chance at all of catching Favre and Marino. That guy can just flat out play the QB position. Should he win a SB I fear that Favre will be a forgotten hero remembered only by us Packers fans.

Doubtful. Manning is like Marino...no mobility. His career is unlikely to last as long as Favre's...unless he doesn't win a title and hangs around to embarrass himself like Marino did. He has to have a great OL in front of him at this point in his career. Indy is a team that probably declines from this season forward. They don't have much cap space to acquire additional talent, and younger defenders who have made a name in Indy on cheap contracts are going to likely move on to other teams as their contracts come up.

Brainerd
10-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Doubtful. Manning is like Marino...no mobility. His career is unlikely to last as long as Favre's...unless he doesn't win a title and hangs around to embarrass himself like Marino did. He has to have a great OL in front of him at this point in his career. Indy is a team that probably declines from this season forward. They don't have much cap space to acquire additional talent, and younger defenders who have made a name in Indy on cheap contracts are going to likely move on to other teams as their contracts come up.
I wouldn't normally reply to drivel this bad especially after a win but there is so much wrong with what you stated that I simply couldn't resist. Its a shame you cannot enjoy the skills of other players in the league while remaining a diehard Packers fan. You're really missing out. The very disrespect you're showing Manning and Marino puts you in the same dungheap with every national sportswriter who can only write that Favre is done and is embarassing himself. I hope you enjoy the smell.

Peyton has started every single game since he was drafted. That makes him 2nd to only Favre in consecutive starts for QB's. Not all of the Colts teams were good. Some were really bad. His stats are on par or exceed Favre's in all passing categories during his first 9 seasons. The only thing missing is a SB ring.

I'm gonna assume you're excited about the win against the mighty Cardinals and leave it at that.

The Leaper
10-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm not denegrading Manning. The guy puts up huge numbers, although he has never been able to win the big pressure game throughout his career (college and pro).

I'm just suggesting that I don't believe he is going to have the longevity of a Favre...especially if he wins a Super Bowl. Marino would've bowed out much earlier IMO if he had won a title at some point.

Favre is a special athlete who probably will possess the physical ability to play QB in the NFL when he enters his 40s. Manning is not the same kind of athlete. His dominance is far more mental than it is physical...and his body is likely to give out far before Favre's does.

I stand by my claim that Manning is much more likely to get pounded out of the NFL in his mid 30s behind any subpar OL. You put him behind this inexperienced OL in Green Bay at age 35, and he gets pounded. He does not possess the escapability that Favre has.

motife
10-29-2006, 08:30 PM
It's hard to compare Manning and Favre as to what they're lifetime stats "might" end up to be.

Manning has started EVERY game since he was drafted #1 in 1998. 135 games through today. That's 8 years of 16 game seasons plus 7 this season, now in his 9th season.

Favre did not have any starts his first year with Atlanta and had 13 starts his second year, after coming to the Packers. So he started 13 games in 1992, and 16 games each season from 1993-2005 plus 7 this season or 228 starts, 247 games total as an NFL player, now in his 16th season.

Their stats are VERY similar per start :

Manning :
21.7 completions, 33.9 attempts, .98 interceptions, 1.92 TD's, 260.4 yards per game. Completions : 64.05%. Throws a TD pass once every 17.68 attempts and an interception once every 34.68 attempts.

Favre :
21.18 completions, 34.53 attempts, 1.14 interceptions, 1.78 TD's, 242.33 yards per game. Completions 61.34%. Throws a TD pass once every 19.39 attempts and an interception once every 30.28 attempts.

Manning is just slightly ahead of Favre in every category.

Favre is on pace to break Marino's TD pass record in 236.42 starts. He's just finished his 228th.

Manning is on pace to break the TD pass record in 219.44 starts, or in about one less season than Favre.

Manning must continue to be healthy and start every game of the next 84.44 games, or 5.28 years. He's 30 years old, so would be 35 when he broke the record. (born 3/24/76). Favre just turned 37 2 weeks ago.

That's quite doable, I'd think.

Is Manning going to deteriorate that much in the next 4-5 years? I don't think so. Will he be injured and miss a protracted number of games, or have a career ending injury? He has shown he's incredibly durable, almost indestructible so far.

The only thing that could sink Mannings chances is IF Favre does play at a high level, or the same level he has, for at least 4 more years. That will set the longevity bar pretty high for Manning too then. Anything less than 4 and I think Manning could reach it at the rate he's going.

I don't think supporting staff will be a problem. It wasn't for Favre.

Although, one of Wolf's stated regrets was that he didn't surround Favre with better offensive weapons.

Willard
10-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Also, in a very tight race, I think Peyton is slightly better in commercials.......

Bossman641
10-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Also, in a very tight race, I think Peyton is slightly better in commercials.......

CUT THAT MEAT. CUT THAT MEAT.

Willard
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM

CUT THAT MEAT. CUT THAT MEAT.

I love that!! :lol: :lol:

The Leaper
10-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Is Manning going to deteriorate that much in the next 4-5 years? I don't think so. Will he be injured and miss a protracted number of games, or have a career ending injury? He has shown he's incredibly durable, almost indestructible so far.

Well, he survived his first couple years in the league behind a horrific OL when he was still very young. Since then, he has been behind an above average OL that rarely allows Manning to get hit. I wouldn't call him indestructible...because when was the last time you saw him get clobbered, wipe the blood from his mouth, and get back in there for the next play? Durable, yes...with a lot of help from his OL and a great mental approach that allows him to get rid of the ball very quickly.

I don't think supporting staff will be a problem. It wasn't for Favre.

Manning has ALWAYS had a stud WR to work with who he has gained a lot of comfort with...Harrison. Now he also has a stud #2. He's also had a stud RB to work with through most of his career. Truth be told, how he would respond to being placed on a team surrounded with average talent really hasn't been answered. I'm sure he would do OK. Would he put up numbers to compete with Favre? That's the question. What would Manning do with a slow Freeman and Bill Schroeder? Would he get 30 TDs?

I think Favre is still going to play at least one more year after this...potentially more. As I pointed out, he is a rare breed of athlete who has such remarkable physical attributes that even as they diminish they remain ahead of most others...like Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens. Favre's arm is still stronger than 90% of the QBs in the league, despite the 1000s of throws and 100s of hits.

That means Manning will have to play until he is 36 or 37...and continue to put up excellent numbers, because Favre's really have not declined much at all during his career.

Bossman641
10-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Here's the most interesting stat about today's game I've seen.

"Most impressive about the Packers' day running the football was that of the 34 runs Green, Morency and Noah Herron combined for, none was for negative yardage, only two resulted in no gain and 23 went for 4 yards or more. The only two long runs of the day were Morency gains of 36 and 23 yards. Green's longest run was 14 yards."

If they stay healthy and keep their fumbling problems under control, Green/Morency should be a very formidable duo. I love watching Green run. He just punishes people. I don't think he ever gets knocked backward. Morency is very explosive and he has some moves in the open field.

I'm not trying to get too excited because it's just one game, but I really like the improvement from week to week. Last week the running game showed the ability to get the big play, while this week it showed the ability to flat out dominate.