PDA

View Full Version : Another Mike McCarthy Quote

FritzDontBlitz
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
talk about creating the right attitude in a team.....

in the cardinals postgame press conference, mike mccarthy said he always tells his players "mondays through fridays is what you get paid for, sundays are for free."

god i love that.

Joemailman
10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Didn't he steal that quote from Brett?

BallHawk
10-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Didn't he steal that quote from Brett?

I think Brett might of said it before, but I'm not sure.

Noodle
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Brett's quote was more like, "We get paid to go to meetings and all that stuff; I'd play the games for free" or something to that effect. Great quote, and if MM wants to jump on board, no problem here.

vince
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Absolutely. This team will lose games as a result of mistakes by players and coaches on game day, but it won't be because the head coach doesn't have them mentally prepared week to week.

McCarthy shows great perspective and balance between building confidence through success, and maintaining the understanding that there remains a lot of work to do.

"Winning in the NFL is winning. I'll never apologize for a victory over any opponent."

At the same time, he emphasizes the job at hand.

"Right now we're in the mode of stacking successes, getting some momentum as a football team. I think we accomplished that today with the win over Arizona, and we need to carry that into Buffalo."

No matter who he got the snappy saying from, LIVING it is what counts - and he does.

Brainerd
10-29-2006, 09:31 PM
"Winning in the NFL is winning. I'll never apologize for a victory over any opponent."
MM quote of the week. Because he's smart enough to know it was just the Cardinals. :smile:

vince
10-29-2006, 09:42 PM
MM quote of the week. Because he's smart enough to know it was just the Cardinals. :smile:
It's actually just the opposite Brainerd. Read the quote. This was a response to the following question, "Haven't beat the best teams, how do you put that in perspective with your obvious improvements?"

It must suck being a Packer fan and feeling the need to complain about everything, insisting that the team you purportedly want to win really sucks.

You're missing something pretty exciting Brainerd - the rebuilding and development of the most storied franchise in the league. Enjoy it for a change. Well, nevermind. You'll find something to whine about anyway.

Packnut
10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
It's actually just the opposite Brainerd. Read the quote. This was a response to the following question, "Haven't beat the best teams, how do you put that in perspective with your obvious improvements?"

It must suck being a Packer fan and feeling the need to complain about everything, insisting that the team you purportedly want to win really sucks.

You're missing something pretty exciting Brainerd - the rebuilding and development of the most storied franchise in the league. Enjoy it for a change. Well, nevermind. You'll find something to whine about anyway.

There are a lot of reasons to be happy about the offense. It proves the WC offense is'nt dead. It proves the ZBS can also be very effective. But let's also be honest here. Our D is just pathetic and there are no quick fixes in sight.

vince
10-29-2006, 10:24 PM

There are a lot of reasons to be happy about the offense. It proves the WC offense is'nt dead. It proves the ZBS can also be very effective. But let's also be honest here. Our D is just pathetic and there are no quick fixes in sight.

Yup, let's be honest nut. The D WAS bad. It isn't anymore. It isn't the Bears D, but it is MUCH IMPROVED.

This "pathetic" D just held it's opponent to

218 TOTAL YARDS
86 Yds Rushing,
132 Yds Passing
1 Int.
4 sacks

So please enlighten me, nut - honestly. What is "pathetic" about that?

No matter how much you want it to be, the sky is NOT falling.

Brainerd
10-29-2006, 10:28 PM

Vince, you lack perception. I'm a whiner? So be it. I always consider the source, what they are consuming, the color of their glasses and how often they base their arguments on optimism rather than facts. Assuming facts can even be entered into conversations about future events.

My post was kudos to MM. He and I both know that beating the Cardinals is something to expect and not something to get overly excited about. See what I mean about perception, Vince?

I already know that we can beat the Cardinals as long as the defense doesn't give the game away. I want to see us compete with the elite of the NFL. I'm not satisfied by not being the worst in the league as long as we're improving. However, we were the worst in the league last week in total defense. I haven't checked this week. So I guess you are right, we did improve to being the worst in the league in total defense.

You can continue to berate me and repeat your endless ra-ra mantra of improvement. History has always proven that the irrational optimist is correct. Things can only stay so bad for so long. Regardless, it won't prove for a moment that I was wrong in questioning the method.

Is this all too simple for you to understand? I fear not. You simply don't like me. That's ok. I don't think to much of you anymore either.

vince
10-29-2006, 10:40 PM
He [McCarthy] and I both know that beating the Cardinals is something to expect and not something to get overly excited about. See what I mean about perception, Vince?
No Brainerd, it is YOU who lacks "perception." Let me spell it out for you again. Here's the exchange.

Reporter: Haven't beat the best teams, how do you put that in perspective with your obvious improvements?

McCarthy: I don't agree with the point about perspective. Winning in the NFL is winning. I will never apologize for a victory over any of our opponents. You ask New Orleans or St. Louis, they won't apologize for their victories here at Lambeau. We've won three football games, and we're a team that's improving every week, a team that's getting better, a team starting to play with some momentum, and that's how you win in this league. That's a very talented football team. They challenge you schematically - I know they have a rookie quarterback - but that was a dangerous football team we played today. We feel very good about the direction we're going as a team.
Now please use your "perception" and tell me whether you and Mike McCarthy see this the same way...that you and he both know that it's no success to beat the Cardinals.

And looking at the performance of the D by looking at the early season when they were terrible is also lacking "perspective." This D is performing MUCH better than they had early in the year. Why do you refuse to see that?

Brainerd
10-29-2006, 11:37 PM
He [McCarthy] and I both know that beating the Cardinals is something to expect and not something to get overly excited about. See what I mean about perception, Vince?
No Brainerd, it is YOU who lacks "perception." Let me spell it out for you again. Here's the exchange.

Reporter: Haven't beat the best teams, how do you put that in perspective with your obvious improvements?

McCarthy: I don't agree with the point about perspective. Winning in the NFL is winning. I will never apologize for a victory over any of our opponents. You ask New Orleans or St. Louis, they won't apologize for their victories here at Lambeau. We've won three football games, and we're a team that's improving every week, a team that's getting better, a team starting to play with some momentum, and that's how you win in this league. That's a very talented football team. They challenge you schematically - I know they have a rookie quarterback - but that was a dangerous football team we played today. We feel very good about the direction we're going as a team.
Now please use your "perception" and tell me whether you and Mike McCarthy see this the same way...that you and he both know that it's no success to beat the Cardinals.

And looking at the performance of the D by looking at the early season when they were terrible is also lacking "perspective." This D is performing MUCH better than they had early in the year. Why do you refuse to see that?

I never used the word success. Every win is a success. I stated the Cardinals win was and should have been expected. MM has too much class to publicly state that the Cardinals suck. As fans of the NFL we have no such restrictions. Quit changing the meaning of my words to make a false argument.

I never said there hasn't been improvement. Have fun with your improvement mantra for a team when the only option remaining is improvement. A one-year old can burp up, "ga, ga, improvement", inbetween diaper changes.

vince
10-30-2006, 06:26 AM
A one-year old can burp up, "ga, ga, improvement", inbetween diaper changes.
Actually Brainerd, you need to work on the "perception" thing a little more. About all one-year olds do is whine and cry and piss and moan - and mumble nonsense about all the bad things they think are going on - because that's about all the perspective they have in life.

FritzDontBlitz
10-30-2006, 12:18 PM
I never used the word success. Every win is a success. I stated the Cardinals win was and should have been expected. MM has too much class to publicly state that the Cardinals suck. As fans of the NFL we have no such restrictions. Quit changing the meaning of my words to make a false argument.

huh?

i think that was what is commonly known as an "underhanded compliment." wins are never supposed to be "expected" REGARDLESS of the team you play. no matter who you line up against each week, you better play the better game or you're looking at a potential loss - hence the term "on any given sunday." its ridiculous to expect a team to make excuses for winning. it was a good win, the team performed well and they won convincingly. i could understand the heavy pessimism of some of you had the packers barely eked out a win, but they went up 21-0 and held on for a 17 point win while holding their opponents to 218 total yards.

funny, even though chicago was hopelessly favored to beat the packers in week one i don't seem to remember them apologizing much for beating green bay 26-0 - but, i DO remember them crowing like roosters about shutting out brett favre. yes, the packers were an inferior team with rookies on the o-line, question marks at rb and wr, a qb who many thought should have retired after the 4-12 debacle of 2005 and a new coaching staff that most picked to finish in the sewers of last place, but the bears were still more than thrilled to come away with the win.

i would much rather be looking at a win over a subpar team than explaining why i lost to one. if you don't know what i mean then think back to the last time green bay played arizona, and how bad sherman and co. stunk it up while losing to a jeff blake led team of no-names. yesterday the packers played matt leinart, edgerrin james, anquon bolden and a few other respectable weapons and held them in check, something even the mighty defense of chicago struggled with.

enjoy your whine, i'll sit back and watch the packers shine....