PDA

View Full Version : Huge,fast, explosive WR

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 10:37 PM
I heard a rumor on another forum that stated that TT is enamored with Davis and might pick him if Mario is off the board at 5. The rumor stated that TT would use Davis as a WR and not a TE. If this was true, how would the D's matchup with him?? This would hide his bad blocking skills and he could exhibit his natural skills and be a T.O. type of WR. Franks,Driver,Davis and Gardner/Boerichter would be a decent fleet of WR's.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't buy into using him as a WR; CB's can stay with him and part of the intrigue of having a TE that fast is safeties or LB's would be completely outmatched.

If Hawk is gone I have no problems with going Davis. I'd love to see a trade down and get either but that's pipe dreams because Hawk and Davis are going off the board at 5 and 6 one way or the other.

b bulldog
04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
No comments people?

Rastak
04-21-2006, 10:48 PM
No comments people?

I didn't see Davis play in college so I just don't know. People sure are raving about him. If he's half as good as the hype he's a fine a pick. If he's as fast as they say he could be a WR I would think...hell, if Mike Williams is a wide out, why not Davis.

Harlan Huckleby
04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd keep Davis at TE, for reasons other mentioned.

I don't care who the Packers take in the first round, just as long as he weighs over 300 pounds.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:54 PM
No comments people?

I'm not sure I want Davis because I think the chicks would be posting shirtless pictures of him in here everyday. They guy is one fit dude. He looks like a machine and will make San Francisco very happy as a dominating TE.

If TT didn't snipe Rogers last year just think how frickin excited you'd be about Vince Young.

Harlan Huckleby
04-21-2006, 10:57 PM
will make San Francisco very happy as a dominating TE.

Were you making a pun?

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
will make San Francisco very happy as a dominating TE.

Were you making a pun?

You are the punmaster; I'm not that smart.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I think anybody that reports to know what the Packers draft board looks like is lying.

Smokescreens, people, smokescreens!

MadtownPacker
04-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I would rather the get some basketball forward who couldnt make the NBA and plug him in at TE like Gates. Was he even drafted? The first round needs to be spent on defense and then some more defense. Trade down and get a couple LBs and a DB.

swede
04-22-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm sorry, but I was getting all wet about Davis until I saw tape of him playing. He is tough, no doubt, but he didn't look the least bit ready to play at the level that someone like Gonzalez does.

He was a man among boys in college. In the NFL being supremely physically gifted is only part of the requirement for instant success.

I'm settling back down and rooting for the safest, best pick. It will be Hawk at #5 and you should all be glad.

Tarlam!
04-22-2006, 05:19 AM
I would take Davis in a second and plug him in at WR. He is big enough and mean enough to win battles with those corners. At 5'10", you're considered a big corner, so, Davis will be better against those guys than LB's IMHO.

I still want Javon to hurt 2 more years....

oregonpackfan
04-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't buy into using him as a WR; CB's can stay with him and part of the intrigue of having a TE that fast is safeties or LB's would be completely outmatched.

If Hawk is gone I have no problems with going Davis. I'd love to see a trade down and get either but that's pipe dreams because Hawk and Davis are going off the board at 5 and 6 one way or the other.

I tend to support Bretsky's argument. Keep him at TE. If Davis is a good pass-catcher at TE, the Packers might wish to use more 2-TE sets just like they did during the Super Bowl 90's era when they used Keith Jackson and Mark Chumura. That formation allowed for both run blocking and passes since Jackson and Chumura were both great receivers.

Oregonpackfan

RashanGary
04-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Davis is an amazing talent. I would not be surprised at all if the Packers choose him. I've never seen a player do what he does. EVER. The closest think to Vernon Davis that I've ever seen is Sterling Sharpe. T.O. comes close. The major difference is Davis is bigger, faster and stronger than any of them.

Davis is the first NFL player with his skill set and WILL be a dominating player. He is the player with the 3rd highest potential in this draft in my opinion.

1. Williams
2. Bush
3. Davis
4. Ngata
5. Leinart

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
[quote=Bretsky]If Davis is a good pass-catcher at TE, the Packers might wish to use more 2-TE sets just like they did during the Super Bowl 90's era when they used Keith Jackson and Mark Chumura. That formation allowed for both run blocking and passes since Jackson and Chumura were both great receivers.

Oregonpackfan

And in a 2 TE set, Davis should still be a viable deep threat because of his speed. I think he gives the Packers an ability to cause severe match-up problems.

If he lives up to the hype, Davis is the type of player that other teams have to game plan around.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Remember David Boston? I don't either, but he had one huge year in Arizona, and then he got bigger and more muscular than Arnold. He got a big contract and then has been worthless.

It all comes down to how good a reciever is at running routes. Forget about speed and size, route running is the key, figuring out the soft spot in the zpne, and the appropriate break. I don't think Davis is going to be able to come in as a wide reciever and be able to come out of breaks and cut like a wide reciever. Mostly because he hasn't done it in college. It would take him a while to adjust to playing wide reciever, if he could ever do it.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:27 PM
bOSTON WAS ON rOIDS and is and was a headcase. No comparisons between the two! Davis would be able to outrun 70% of the corners in the NFL and the ones that will be able to stay with him are simply not in his class in terms of size and strength. He would be almost uncoverable. LB's won't be able to cover him and neither will DB's. I'd like to see a 200lbs. corner try to jam him :D

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:39 PM
He never blocked in college because he was basicly a WR

ND72
04-22-2006, 10:42 PM
I've read on a lot of scouting reports he couldn't line up at a WR position because he runs horrible routes and doesn't know how to properly use his hands to get off of a bump coverage. just like most things it is coaching...but i don't think he'd be a WR.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I've read on a lot of scouting reports he couldn't line up at a WR position because he runs horrible routes and doesn't know how to properly use his hands to get off of a bump coverage. just like most things it is coaching...but i don't think he'd be a WR.

Running routes isn't important for a TE, especially in the WC offense? I'll grant you that most of the "routes" aren't downfield, but hell, if this is true.... the guy is WAY overrated.

Who can't run a route? Hell, it'd take me ALL DAY to get there, but I can run a route.... :twisted:

b bulldog
04-23-2006, 07:35 AM
I READ WHERE HE IS ALREADY A good route runner and that he is si fluid he could play outside and already has. Walker was thought to have crappy hands and was labeled a bad route runner, look how he turned out!

Fritz
04-23-2006, 07:43 AM
"He looks like a machine and will make San Francisco very happy"

If San Fran does take Davis, ESPN will show us a shot of Mike Nolan smoking a cigarette, with a satisfied smile on his face...