PDA

View Full Version : 10 THOUGHTS FROM BEING AT THE PACKER VS CARDINAL GAME TODAY

Bretsky
10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
1. Brett Favre is playing smarter under Mike McCarthy; he is getting coached well for the first time since Mike Holmgren was here.

2. Our Offensive Line is improving each week. This Cardinal Defense had some very good defensive lineman in Barry and Dockett. Rarely did our backs get hit behind the line of scrimmange. Our Young OL controlled the line today. Impressive

3. This offense is different with Ahman Green Back. He breaks tackles and punishes people. His Style of play makes Morency a very good change of pace back as well

4. David Martin is our pass catching TE. Bubba Franks is our blocking TE. David Martin is the better route runner and gets yards after the catch. The coaches realize this and are utilizing Bubba as an extra blocker and sending Martin out in routes. I am happy that it looks like I was wrong about Martin in reaching his potential. I also may have been wrong about Bubb's deal as well; I'm starting to wonder if that was money will spent.

5. Donald Driver needs Greg Jennings to get back to consistently excel. The Cardinals had their focus on him; our other WR's put no fear into the defense. Without Jennings, David Martin is probably our second best receiving option.

6. Aaron Kampman is one of my most admired players. Watching him play with that motor is a pleasure. All of the posters who said we overpaid for Kampman were wrong; we may have even underpaid him. Talent wise he may not be one of the top DE's in the game; but result wise he is. If we'd get a difference maker along the DL he'd be even better

7. Al Harris has been an absolute blanket the past two weeks. He practically shut out my boy Chris Chambers last week. He held Boldin down today. Each of those weeks he was purposely matched up against the top WR. He stepped his game up. Does he miss interceptions at times ? Yes.
But his game is at a very high level right now. He's played like a Pro Bowler the past two weeks.

8. Brady Poppinga still does not look like a starter to me. Instincts do not seem to be natural for him yet. On the brighter side, the defensive staff is not allowing him to be isolated in coverage so he's not being exposed like he was at the season's beginning

9. Watching Leinart today, I wondered if it's best for a QB to let him sit a couple years and learn from watching. He looked jittery. He was clearly uncomfortable when the rush was coming, and he made some lousy passes because of it. He keyed in on one WR too long at times. He kind of looked like Aaron Rodgers at the beginning when I had minimal hope for him. I'm more confident in Rodgers chance for success now, and watching Leinart struggle today reminded me how it might be best for Rodgers to watch and learn til Brett retires, whether that's this year or two years later.
The right answer is not always to throw them into the fire.

10. I met Harvey Wallbanger and Superfan today at the game; watched the 3rd quarter with them after finding where they were sitting in the stadium. They are both first class guys in person as well as in this forum and I feel very fortunate to have met a couple of the best posters in the Packerrats community.

superfan
10-30-2006, 12:29 AM
10. I met Harvey Wallbanger and Superfan today at the game; watched the 3rd quarter with them after finding where they were sitting in the stadium. They are both first class guys in person as well as in this forum and I feel very fortunate to have met a couple of the best posters in the Packerrats community.

Awww! :oops:

Right back atcha B.

GrnBay007
10-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Superfan, how was that seafood tailgating at Marty's?

superfan
10-30-2006, 12:50 AM

Fun. Real nice place, liked listening to the pregame show on the radio with Johnny Gray and others. Food was decent but not great, but I might not be the best judge -- too much "pregame celebrating" the night before to eat much of the breakfast. :smile:

Also got to meet GBRulz, who is a great host and a great person.

Rastak
10-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Well I said pregame that if the Cardinals reshuffled OL didn't look good the Packers should roll and they did. I was able to watch the whole game so my observations:

1) The Cards are a mess, they should fire Denny right now....this morning.
1-7? Yikes,

2) Packers had a great attacking game plan. Cards were shakey as hell on the line and GB never let up which I thought was very smart.

3) What's up with McCarthy going for it so often on 4th down. It was a 41 yard FG, take the points!

4) Packers running game looked pretty good to me. Green looked like his old self. My sense is that this was more of GB being good than the Cards being bad.

5) Packers secondary has improved somewhat and they were helped by Leinert running for his life two out of every three plays. Again, a good game plan.

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Well I said pregame that if the Cardinals reshuffled OL didn't look good the Packers should roll and they did. I was able to watch the whole game so my observations:

(snip)
3) What's up with McCarthy going for it so often on 4th down. It was a 41 yard FG, take the points!

(snip)
I listened to the game on NFL Field Pass radio, and Wayne Larrivee suggested they tried the fake because the Cardinals had left themselves open to that kind of play against the Raiders the week before--but that they corrected what they were doing wrong.

All's well that ends well
:mrgreen:

FavreChild
10-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Glad y'all had fun, Bretsky.

I agree with your observations about the O-line's tremendous improvement. It took 'em awhile to get the ZBS down, and I still think that it's the job of the coaches to have them ready for week one. However, I am certainly glad to see the improvement.

FavreChild
10-30-2006, 06:49 AM

Yeah, that play still makes me mad. If you're going to go for it, how 'bout using a higher percentage play than having your damn punter scramble around like an idiot? Not smart, didn't fool anyone. In another game versus another opponent where those three points would have mattered, folks would be a lot more critical.

GBRulz
10-30-2006, 09:10 AM

Fun. Real nice place, liked listening to the pregame show on the radio with Johnny Gray and others. Food was decent but not great, but I might not be the best judge -- too much "pregame celebrating" the night before to eat much of the breakfast. :smile:

Also got to meet GBRulz, who is a great host and a great person.

Yeah, I don't think u & Harv were too hungry....considering you just got back to your hotel like 5 hours prior to that from "pregame celebrating" :wink:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet B..but maybe the next game...however, it was great to meet Harv & superfan, great guys and I can't wait for you to come back!

Ballboy
10-30-2006, 09:38 AM
I'd like to thank HarveyWallbanger, Vince, FarveChild and GBRulz.

I asked for help in my first trek back to the promised land in over eight years and the day was great. I parked on Morris as suggested, stopped in at Stadium View for a few Bloody Marys and watched some Bull ridding.....I also say my future rec room furnishings as displayed in the parking lot, Packer recliner, sofa, banner.

I also hadn't seen the new field and set out to Curleys Pub.....along the way say Woodson and Donald Driver in his Hummer enter the stadium. Got to the pub and had some Leinies Curleys Ale - WOW, great beer.

The game was great, had seats on the 33 yard line in row 11. Once the game was over, my exit was fast and easy thanks to the parking directions.

Again, thanks to all.

GBRulz
10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Ballboy, I'm glad you had a great time! Perfect weather for football, too!

This was the 2nd biggest crowd ever at Lambeau! Just a hair under 71k in attendence.

Zool
10-30-2006, 10:37 AM

(snip)

(snip)
I listened to the game on NFL Field Pass radio, and Wayne Larrivee suggested they tried the fake because the Cardinals had left themselves open to that kind of play against the Raiders the week before--but that they corrected what they were doing wrong.

All's well that ends well
:mrgreen:There's a little bit in a JOS article today about Rayner. He didnt know they called the fake. No one told him the fake was to be called, and its his job to call it off.

Bubba "hotdog&quot
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I so jelious you got to go to GreenBay!! I cant wait for my turn in my family.

~ I know I dont post often, 3 yr old twins will do that to ya! BUT, I do have the Sunday Ticket at my house and I do get to see all the games. We are looking better and better each game, , the season doesnt look as bleak as it once did! GO PACK GO!!! I agree with most said about players, starting players and McCarthy. Hopefully we can keep the roll going!!!!

God I F-in love football and LOVE being a Packers Fan!!!