PDA

View Full Version : NFL leader in QB sacks?

Patler
10-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Unless I missed something somewhere, with 2 today and 8.5 on the season, Aaron Kampman will now be the NFL leader in sacks.

esoxx
10-29-2006, 11:45 PM
It makes me shudder to think we were close to losing him to the Vikings. Now wouldn't that suck right about now!

Bossman641
10-29-2006, 11:51 PM
And to think there were some that were weary about resigning him because they thought he would be overpaid. He may not have the greatest physical gifts but he is all-out all the time. One of my favorite players to watch.

GrnBay007
10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Unless I missed something somewhere, with 2 today and 8.5 on the season, Aaron Kampman will now be the NFL leader in sacks.

Awesome!!

...and he's an Iowa boy! :razz:

the_idle_threat
10-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Shawne Merriman had 3 sacks today, and will be tied with Kampman for the lead with 8.5 sacks on the season. Apparently, Merriman is playing while his his suspension is on appeal. He claims the bad test came from a "tainted" supplement, which of course implies that he did not know about the illegal substance. :whist: Riiiiiiiight. Good luck with that, Shawne!

BobDobbs
10-30-2006, 02:13 AM
I read on ESPN.com tonight that Merriman is thinking about dropping his appeal and beginning his suspension starting with the Cleveland game next week. Seemed like he was admitting that he just didn't want to miss the Rams game. This way he misses Cleveland and Oakland at home, but those games bookend Cincy and Denver on the road, so maybe that's a far fetched theory.

Anyway, he did it and he better not get caught again.

Back to Kampman, though. He has made a believer out of me. I used to feel that he was an above average backup that was pressed into service. When I saw the contract I thought oh well I guess you can't just let the D-line just fall apart. But, man he's fun to watch. He just beats people. It's like he's got a clone. He's always there.

No matter what he's worth the money, but now the real test begins. I remember when Vonnie Holiday got 8 sacks playing across from Reggie. After that nothing. Or when KGB made a big splash now he has tailed off. My point is that teams are going to have to start game planning for Kampman and we'll see where his production goes. At the very least we should start to see other players come up with more sacks. KGB can you hear me?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Shawne Merriman had 3 sacks today, and will be tied with Kampman for the lead with 8.5 sacks on the season. Apparently, Merriman is playing while his his suspension is on appeal. He claims the bad test came from a "tainted" supplement, which of course implies that he did not know about the illegal substance. :whist: Riiiiiiiight. Good luck with that, Shawne!

Don't be so quick to judge. Many supplements are tainted. They did a special on ESPN about a swimmer who tested positive. The MULTI VITAMIN he was taking contained ingredients not listed. He won big time.

Here is the link.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2059714

A 2001 study commissioned by the International Olympic Committee found that of 634 nutritional supplements tested, 14.8 percent contained banned substances; among products from U.S. companies, it was 18.8 percent.

Did Merriman cheat, maybe, but it is very reasonable that is protein poweder was tainted.

MadtownPacker
10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Tyrone, stick to smokin the rocks instead of hitting yourself in the head with them! :mrgreen:

Kampman is a bad ass white boy!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Tyrone, stick to smokin the rocks instead of hitting yourself in the head with them! :mrgreen:

Kampman is a bad ass white boy!!!

Lay off the acapulco gold Madtown.

Even a crackhead knows that the supplement industry is unregulated and full of shady characters.

I trust my corner dealer more than those guys.

MadtownPacker
10-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Flavor of the month is the purple cushion but regardless, Kampman is a corn fed hustler and deserves all the props we can give him.

Patler
10-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey, not fair! NFL.com is listing Merriman first and shows his picture with the stat leaders, even though Kampman is tied with him. Kampman should be listed first together with HIS mugshot for the following reasons:

1. Alphabetically, Kampman comes before Merriman.
2. Alphabetically, Green Bay comes before San Diego.
3. Kampman has seniority, having been in the league longer.
4. Kampman was ahead of Merriman going into the weekend (6.5 to 5.5) and hasn't been "passed".
5. Kampman isn't facing a suspension and deserves the honor!

pittstang5
10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey, not fair! NFL.com is listing Merriman first and shows his picture with the stat leaders, even though Kampman is tied with him. Kampman should be listed first together with HIS mugshot for the following reasons:

1. Alphabetically, Kampman comes before Merriman.
2. Alphabetically, Green Bay comes before San Diego.
3. Kampman has seniority, having been in the league longer.
4. Kampman was ahead of Merriman going into the weekend (6.5 to 5.5) and hasn't been "passed".
5. Kampman isn't facing a suspension and deserves the honor!

He's listed first on ESPNs Stat page. (It's all good)

Guiness
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't know about the corner dealer, ever since I saw him hefting a 50lb bag of rat poison out of the trunk of his car, but the supplement industry is full of banned substances.

There was a thread about this her on our very own forum!
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=4331 :repost:

Willard
10-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Maybe if AK gets close to Strahan's season sack record by the last game of the season Brett Favre will let Aaron run onto the field and sack him for the record!! :wink:

wist43
10-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Kampman's production has been consistent with his history, i.e. he gets sacks in bunch's against inferior Tackles.

I like Kampman, always have - but don't mistake his current sack totals with his having a higher ceiling than he does. His production has been good against poor offensive lines.

That said, a guy can only play against who's put in front of him... Very happy to see him putting up numbers.

esoxx
10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Kampman's production has been consistent with his history, i.e. he gets sacks in bunch's against inferior Tackles.

Wait a minute, I thought that's the label on KGB??

Freak Out
10-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Flavor of the month is the purple cushion but regardless, Kampman is a corn fed hustler and deserves all the props we can give him.

Yes but is it "real" corn or some of that Monsanto roundup ready BT corn they have been spreading around the globe? Talk about a tainted supplement.

Kampman is doing a very good job out there and does deserve accolades for all his hard work. I wish human cloning was legal.

wist43
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM

Wait a minute, I thought that's the label on KGB??

Sadly, that label applies to KGB as well... I'm enjoying the win, but under no illusions.

Overall, they have a chance to overachieve b/c Favre is playing very well.

MadtownPacker
10-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes but is it "real" corn or some of that Monsanto roundup ready BT corn they have been spreading around the globe? Talk about a tainted supplementl.
Nah man, he is from Iowa so it has to be some of that Grade A corn off the cob. :mrgreen:

Partial
10-30-2006, 08:38 PM

I like Kampman, always have - but don't mistake his current sack totals with his having a higher ceiling than he does. His production has been good against poor offensive lines.

That said, a guy can only play against who's put in front of him... Very happy to see him putting up numbers.

Merriman's sacks have come against Oakland (worst team in league, 3 of his sacks came against a bum), Tennessee (second worst team in league, 0 sacks), baltimore (# 79 Tony Pashos, starting his 10th nfl game on an average line, he had 1 sack), Pittsburg (1/2 sack against a solid tackle), San Francisco (1 sack against a TERRIBLE tackle/line), Kansas City (0 sacks against a good line), and St. Louis (3 sacks against Alex Barron or a tight end, Kampman had a dominant game here also).

You're wrong. Wrong as wrong can be. In addition to that, Merriman has a much better supporting cast in the front 7.

BF4MVP
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Kampman is having a monster season..

He's the anti-Cletidus Hunt! :D

Patler
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM

Wist, your argument does not hold water this season. Kampman as had at least a partial sack in every game this year except Detroit. That is consistency more than opportunism.

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2006, 11:10 PM
From JSO:

The fact Gbaja-Biamila only has three sacks thus far hasn't hurt the defense because Kampman is making up for it. Teams continue to pay more attention to "KGB" than they do to Kampman.

"Nobody's really changed what they've been doing," said defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn. "They may have to because Aaron is putting the numbers up. That's fine, too. It's a little deceiving because of the numbers, but we don't have any problems how Kabeer is rushing the passer. He's doing a fine job."