PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Republic: "Unacceptable"

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2006, 06:57 AM
People in the desert are a tad grumpy at the Cards... Check out this column which states "Getting steamrolled by the Packers is simply unacceptable":
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1030bickley1030.html

What a mess down there.

FavreChild
10-30-2006, 07:07 AM
"Besides, the Bidwills need a scapegoat like never before. Green should be quite familiar with the concept."

Touche!

You can hardly blame them for feeling this way. Green is gone sometime between now and the end of the season. Don't know much about how the players feel about Denny, but I hope their wishes for the rest of the season are respected.

KYPack
10-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Be careful what you wish for.

Fat Denny is now a total incompetent.

But let's hope the Redbirds keep him for a couple more seasons.

A decent coach might get those guys going. They've got some scary personnel.

packinpatland
10-30-2006, 07:28 AM
The best thing for the Cardinals is to find new owners, the Bidwells are not, have never helped this team.

OS PA
10-30-2006, 08:00 AM
The best thing for the Cardinals is to find new owners, the Bidwells are not, have never helped this team.

I disagree, the best thing for the team is to find a new offensive line, and a new coaching staff. I really wonder why they didn't bring Martz in during the offseason. With Fitz and Bolden Martz' greatest show on turf would have been back.

Scott Campbell
10-30-2006, 08:18 AM
They've already squandered all the good will in the community from having the new stadium in less than half a season. They sold out this year, which came as quite a shock to the people I know down there. Good luck next year.

Willard
10-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Favorite comment from the AZ Cards fan forum:

"Las Vegas is picking the Bye to win this week versus the Cards. When do the Suns start?"

Partial
10-30-2006, 11:31 AM

"Las Vegas is picking the Bye to win this week versus the Cards. When do the Suns start?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partial
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM

I disagree, the best thing for the team is to find a new offensive line, and a new coaching staff. I really wonder why they didn't bring Martz in during the offseason. With Fitz and Bolden Martz' greatest show on turf would have been back.

I wreckon the greatest show on turf wasn't as potent as an offense as the three headed monster of Moss, Carter and Smith

billy_oliver880
10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
I can't wait to get to work today and talk to the Cards fans. :twisted:

pack4to84
10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
My prediction is D coach of Bears gets the Head Coaching job next season for Cards.

GrnBay007
10-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Despite seven straight losses, Green keeps his job in Arizona
Updated 10/30/2006 10:48 PM

Dennis Green's Cardinals have lost seven straight games. The Arizona coach is 12-28 since arriving there for the 2004 season.

By Greg Boeck, USA TODAY
TEMPE, Ariz. — With the arrival of fall, the temperatures have dropped noticeably in the desert. Not for Dennis Green.
The heat is on the Arizona Cardinals coach. After a 1-7 start, speculation that he might not last through the bye week got so heated Monday that team vice president Michael Bidwill said in a statement no coaching change was imminent.

"I haven't thought about that," Green said of his job status.

Others have. Two local columnists called for Green's firing in Monday's newspapers. Fans are disgusted. "I think the players have given up, and that starts with the coach," longtime season ticketholder Dick Gross said. "If I didn't have a 10-year contract, I wouldn't renew my season tickets."

There's also growing frustration among players. "This is the most talented team that I've been on since I've been in the NFL, and it's just ridiculous that we are 1-7," wide receiver Anquan Boldin said.

Bidwill said he talked to team leaders and the coaching staff and decided not to make a change. "In talking today with some of our leaders in the locker room and the coaching staff, it is clear they share the same frustration and disappointment that we all do because we are not winning," he said. "But it is also clear they plan to keep fighting to win through the second half of the season and have no intention of giving up.

"This is our approach, as well. I do not believe a coaching change improves our chances of winning against the Cowboys or any game in the second half of the season, and winning is our number one goal."

Green's five-year contract calls for $2.5 million next year. The fifth year is at the team's option for $3.75 million.

Green — 12-28 with the Cardinals — has changed quarterbacks and offensive coordinators and juggled the offensive line, but to little avail. The Cardinals have the most penalties (60) and third-most giveaways (17) in the league and have lost seven in a row.

The question of who would take over for Green if he were fired now could be a sticking point for Arizona.

Defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast is a 12-year veteran in the NFL as an assistant, but never has been a head coach at any level. Mike Kruczek was head coach at Central Florida for six seasons, but he was promoted to offensive coordinator from quarterbacks coach just two weeks ago.

Even with rookie Matt Leinart at quarterback and Edgerrin James at running back, they're 27th overall in offensive yards and last in rushing. The offense has scored three touchdowns.

Asked if he sees a future here, Green said, "I don't reflect on that. What I'm focused on now is seeing how we can play better. Do a better job today."

TheRaven
10-31-2006, 07:50 AM

Good line, but Id still take the Cards failures over the NBA anyday.

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Despite seven straight losses, Green keeps his job in Arizona

I saw a similar article today in our local paper. In a baseball season, sometimes you can fire the manager and have things turn around right away. Football seldom works the same way. Other than making some of their frustrated fans happy, I'm not sure firing him now would help them much. As for next year, though...I don't think even the notoriously cheap Cards are going to flinch much at eating the last year of his contract.