PDA

View Full Version : The real character of the Packers

Sparkey
10-30-2006, 09:32 AM
will come through in the next few weeks, when they lay an egg and are completely dominated in a game. With as many young players, it is inevitable.

Then, we will see how they respond. Will they question the scheme and themselves. Wonder if the wins really were because they played poor teams OR will they learn from it, take it in stride and focus and keep the faith ?

Also, just wanted to add how I have noticed the TT bashers have become very silent the last few weeks ? Hmmmm, maybe Ted Thompson is not such a fool as the bashers would want us to believe...

ahaha
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Also, just wanted to add how I have noticed the TT bashers have become very silent the last few weeks ? Hmmmm, maybe Ted Thompson is not such a fool as the bashers would want us to believe...

I'm still part of the "Wait until after next year" to judge Thompson. I'm not ready to say the TT bashers are idiots just yet. Thompson has made mistakes, but what general manager doesn't? AT THIS POINT, though, his 2006 draft is looking very good. Hawk is looking like a future pro-bowler. Spitz and College are looking like huge upgrades over Klemm/Wells and Whitticker. Jennings is playing outstanding for a rookie receiver. Moll has had his ups and downs, but he was drafted as a project. Hodge, Jolly, and Blackmon have done some good things coming in to the season, it's possible one or all of them could develop into quality players.
Also, Thompson's decision on a coach is starting to look like a good choice. The resigning of Kampman looks smart. Free agents Woodson and Pickett are looking like good pick-ups. Resigning Green, and keeping David Martin seem like good moves, and the trade for Morency is beginning to seem like a shrewd move.

Partial
10-30-2006, 11:37 AM
2006 draft looks pretty incredible ahaha. I am starting to become a believer because the way the interior oline is playing, it is making me understand why TT did not feel the need to add a veteran guard.

Jennings and Hawk are getting all the props, and while I agree that they should be, it certainly looks like the most influential rookies have been on the OL, and they have stepped up to provide the running attack M3 wants. Even with Noah Herron or Vernon Morency, this offense looks much more competent and capable than last years. That says a lot with 3 new starters in the OL in my opinion.

I have a suspicion that next year will be a lot like 2002, where it was visible that the offensive line was coming into their own and going to be a very special group.

The Packers aren't good yet, but they aren't bad like last year either. They are right in the middle of the league. I think you'll see this when the beat Buffalo and the Vikings. I don't expect them to make the playoffs, but I think they'll be the seventh or eighth seed in the NFC at this point.

BF4MVP
10-30-2006, 11:55 AM
2006 draft looks pretty incredible ahaha. I am starting to become a believer because the way the interior oline is playing, it is making me understand why TT did not feel the need to add a veteran guard.

Jennings and Hawk are getting all the props, and while I agree that they should be, it certainly looks like the most influential rookies have been on the OL, and they have stepped up to provide the running attack M3 wants. Even with Noah Herron or Vernon Morency, this offense looks much more competent and capable than last years. That says a lot with 3 new starters in the OL in my opinion.

I remember when I was pissed that Calhoun didn't fall to us, because I heard rumors that we would have taken him..Now, in retrospect, I'm really glad we got Spitz. Rookie offensive linemen who can start from day one and play well and play well are rare. Spitz anc Colledge have proven they can play. There aren't too many things on a team more important than a good O-line, and ours has performed well lately.

Sparkey
10-30-2006, 04:34 PM

I remember when I was pissed that Calhoun didn't fall to us, because I heard rumors that we would have taken him..Now, in retrospect, I'm really glad we got Spitz. Rookie offensive linemen who can start from day one and play well and play well are rare. Spitz anc Colledge have proven they can play. There aren't too many things on a team more important than a good O-line, and ours has performed well lately.

Even more promising is the idea that most young lineman, even after becoming starters, take a few years too really grow into the position and reach their peak. Wahle comes to mind. He was, initially, totally outclassed in the NFL his first few years. In fact, people questioned if Wahle could even play in the NFL.....

Joemailman
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Sparkey,

I think the Packers have already proven that they can get beat up by a more experienced team (Chicago,Philadelphia) without losing confidence in themselves. McCarthy keeps this team on an even keel, and there is no reason to think a bad loss will devestate them.

FavreChild
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
What evidence do you have that McCarthy keeps them on "even keel?" I have never heard a player claim that. I'm not even saying you're wrong (after all, it would be a first :smile: ), but can we please be careful when making such grand attributions, here?

Joemailman
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't need to interview players to see that this team doesn't get too full of itself when it does well, and doesn't lose confidence when it does poorly. I attribute much of that to the coach. Just my humble opinion.

run pMc
10-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I think M3 stays on an even keel, and a team feeds off of that. Think of emotional coaches like Haslett, his teams would ride the emotions with him. You can get away with firey coordinators or position coaches (in fact, I think every team should have some), but you want the head coach to stay positive and focused. In a tight game, you don't want your HC to be freaking out.

A young team is going to watch how the coaches and vets react to success and failure, and mimic that behavior. And GB is very young.

Except for the CHI game, they've been competitive in every game and they've won back-to-back games, so I think they have confidence right now. After BUF the schedule gets tougher, so we'll see how they fare. Regardless, I don't think Favre, Henderson, and some of the players are gonna let the rookies give up if we're staring at 4-10 in a couple of weeks.