PDA

View Full Version : Did TT hang Brett out to dry last season?

GrnBay007
04-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Injury after injury and not much for replacements. Was he sending a message to Brett..... or not able to do better due to lack of quality players at the time and/or lack of $$ ?

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 12:09 AM
We need more options.

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 12:15 AM
We need more options.

Like what?

swede
04-22-2006, 12:16 AM
To an extent I think he let Sherman's team twist in the wind last year and began the true rebuilding process this year. Favre is 37 and welcome back if he wants in on the rebuilding process.

He may be a f*cking Polar Weasel but if he brings me a well-coached team with a mean streak that contends for the SB by 2008 I'll be happy.

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
To an extent I think he let Sherman's team twist in the wind last year and began the true rebuiding process this year. Favre is 37 and welcome back if he wants in on the rebuiding process.

He may be a f*cking Polar Weasel but if he brings me a well-coached team with a mean streak that contends for the SB by 2008 I'll be happy.

2008 seems sooooooooo far away! :sad:

swede
04-22-2006, 12:28 AM
2008 seems sooooooooo far away! :sad:[/quote]

Yes, but think how far away 2057 is for the poor Bears!

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 12:30 AM

Yes, but think how far away 2057 is for the poor Bears![/quote]

LOL I'd like to say I believe that.

Tarlam!
04-22-2006, 05:29 AM
TT was brought in to do a job. So was Brett.

They were both brought in for the same reason, but at different times. There is so much shit flying around demonizing TT.

I am truly sorry Brett and TT seem to be on different pages. But Brett has always maintained it is about winning today for him. He has never really considered ushering in a post-Brett era and being an architect in that endeavour.

I pay tribute to Brett Favre for his achievements for and in Green Bay. But the team will be here long after he has finished playing. IMHO, Brett should be inclined to accept this and work towards building Green Bay for the next generation. I have seen very little from him in this area and I would be truly relieved if he would turn the corner on this.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 08:04 AM
We need more options.

Like what?

Poll request

"Is TT's lack of activity in free agency sending a silent message to Brett Favre that he really wants him to retire"

?

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 08:42 AM

Yes, but think how far away 2057 is for the poor Bears![/quote]

This is the finest post I've ever seen in this forum.

Charles Woodson
04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
We need more options.

Like what?

Poll request

"Is TT's lack of activity in free agency sending a silent message to Brett Favre that he really wants him to retire"

?

I was thinking of the same thing. Even in not replacing the guards properly. Our o-line went from the least sacks per season, to aloot. I think TT secretely wants Brett to retire so he can bring more of his people in, this meaning that he wont have someone questioning his decisions. I think TT has put him self in a place where he is screwed ethier way. If Brett retires then everyone blames TT. I know i for one will, i mean wth the packers play IN miami so ill be able to see it, but if bretts not there to play then i will be mad. But say Brett does play another season and the team still sucks then i think he'll be screwed by the fans. I really dont like TT at all. I dont agree with the lowballing good players that hes done. Really i think TT should just quit and we should bring in someone that actually knows how to manage a damn team. I mean but really What the hell is TT gana do with all that money we still have. Does he think that if he spends as little as possible, he'll get a rasie? Damn Thanks for nothing Teddy.

RashanGary
04-22-2006, 10:32 AM
UFA is not what it used to be.....They are like prostitutes who costs too much and probably have VD. I wouldn't touch a high priced FA with your dick.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Whether Favre has been screwed, or time just unavoidably caught-up with the Packers roster, I see NO reason why Favre can't play a season or two with another team. Or just retire having never missed a game his whole career, that ain't bad. He isn't backed into a corner.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't touch a high priced FA with your dick.

I believe that expression is "with a ten foot pole"

RashanGary
04-22-2006, 10:38 AM

No. That would be my dick.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM

No. That would be my dick.

Only men with sms discuss size with each other :wink:

mraynrand
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I think TT has a very well-defined philosophy. I think he isn't deviating from it. I think he evaluates FA, including his own and places a price tag on them and he won't budge. This is good because it doesn't allow them to overpay, but it may be bad in that he could let a guy go that they should keep, even at a higher price than the players' value. So far, Wahle appears to be the one guy that fits this category. TT could have possible kept Sharper as well, but I'm betting that long term, it's going to look like he made the right decisions with Sharper, Arrington, etc., etc.

Based on what I've read, TT is a draft guy, and wasn't responsible for pro personnel decisions (input?) in Seattle. So he's a newbie at this aspect of being a GM and whether he will be good long term is an open question. So far he's off to a rocky start in this area.

So my answer is that TT may not have specifically hung Favre out to dry, but possibly, according to his GM 'calculus' he may think Favre is getting into that twilight area and may see Favre the same way he saw Sharper and Rivera last year. Perhaps he thinks it's time for Favre to go. Even if he does think this, I don't think he specifically made the decisions he has to speed up Favre's retirement or request for trade, etc. I just think he's sticking to his plan. BUt that's pretty much just a guess.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 12:40 PM
"I think he isn't deviating from it. I think he evaluates FA, including his own and places a price tag on them and he won't budge. "

This view would validate my view on why players weren't visiting Green Bay during free agency. TT calls agent; give them a ballpark they the agents laugh their ass off and advise their agents to visit greener pastrures.

Green Bay is not the heaven of the NFL; if they want players they need to pay the going rate. And not all of the free agents were overpaid; just anticipating the TT apologist argument that will come at me of we don't need to overpay.

At this pace we this is going to be a long process.

Chubbyhubby
04-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Favre is going to be 37 when the 2006 season opens up in Sept. He wants to win a championship. or least a chance for the divsion title next year. Our divsion has improved greatly this off season and the Pack seems this off season to stand pat. We are in a rebuilding phase. We have a brand new coaching staff. Will people who adore Favre be upset when he hangs it up? Sure, He is a Packer Icon... Time to move on...

TT is doing the best he can. He has said that he is not into paying alot for FA's what ever the costs. He knows what he is doing, Next week we will all see how well we did in the draft. Give the guy some slack.....

GEEZ.....

MJZiggy
04-22-2006, 12:47 PM
I think that the argument that we absolutely won't pay for people is a bit flawed. If you look at some of the people we've been in the running for, we have been competitive. According to the Arrington article, we were in the fight right 'til the end, which means that we had to have been offering money in the ballpark of the generous deal he signed. We were offering more money for Vinatieri and are still in the thick of it for Woodson. I'm beginning to doubt that the "cheap bastard" label he's been given is warranted.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I'd say by TT's actions related to the o-line issues and combine that with a coaching change - yes TT is rebuilding without Brett in consideration. I don't think TT has done anything directly to Favre but by not spending the dough to retain some talent and not being very active in FA - he's helping Brett make a decision. Since Brett is stubborn, he may come back for another year anyways.

GBRulz
04-22-2006, 01:00 PM
I think that the argument that we absolutely won't pay for people is a bit flawed. If you look at some of the people we've been in the running for, we have been competitive. According to the Arrington article, we were in the fight right 'til the end, which means that we had to have been offering money in the ballpark of the generous deal he signed. We were offering more money for Vinatieri and are still in the thick of it for Woodson. I'm beginning to doubt that the "cheap bastard" label he's been given is warranted.

Zig, if I read it correctly about Arrington, TT didn't up the ante until the end. Perhaps if the offer was on the table to begin with, we could have landed him.

another thing that worries me about the CHEAP BASTARD is that our first round pick holds out because he won't sign for the 25k signing bonus TT offers him.

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't really care what kind of label TT has as long as he builds a team. It's just discouraging to see "in the running for" up till the end and the other teams walking away with the player.

motife
04-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm a tremendous Favre-o-philiac, but it's time to cut the cord and use him as trade bait. Wade into the darkness and see what happens. Why delay it? The Packers will get nothing for Favre in 2007. If they trade Favre, he might be willing to commit to more than one year with his new team.

Ron Wolf says we'll miss Brett Favre when he's gone. I agree wholeheartedly. The guy has been a beast for 14 years, nobody has ever played with his competitiveness at his position, going toe to toe with guys like Antonio Spellman and a couple other DL's. But at this stage in his career he deserves a chance to take a more talented team to the Super Bowl, and if it happened I'd be delighted. Favre deserves to play for a contending team while he's still capable, not the NFL equivalent of the Rhein Fire or the Scottish Claymores.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm a tremendous Favre-o-philiac, but it's time to cut the cord and use him as trade bait. Wade into the darkness and see what happens. Why delay it? The Packers will get nothing for Favre in 2007. If they trade Favre, he might be willing to commit to more than one year with his new team.

Ron Wolf says we'll miss Brett Favre when he's gone. I agree wholeheartedly. The guy has been a beast for 14 years, nobody has ever played with his competitiveness at his position, going toe to toe with guys like Antonio Spellman and a couple other DL's. But at this stage in his career he deserves a chance to take a more talented team to the Super Bowl, and if it happened I'd be delighted. Favre deserves to play for a contending team while he's still capable, not the NFL equivalent of the Rhein Fire or the Scottish Claymores.

By Favre's comments on the Cowboys and Ravens, who's more likely to trade for him; and what is the offer? If it was Brett for Bledsoe and a #1 or #2 this year and a #3/#4 next year, I'd give Brett the decision. He's always said he only wants to play for the Pack, but he has made some interesting comments about T.O. lately. I'm just speculating here...

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I answered no to the question asked. If it was phrased "did Thompson hang Favre out to drive in 2006," I would have answered yes.

GrnBay007
04-22-2006, 03:16 PM
I answered no to the question asked. If it was phrased "did Thompson hang Favre out to drive in 2006," I would have answered yes.

lol u boyz are pretty critical of the wording and choices in these polls.

I see what you are saying Harv, but I think his master plan was at work last season already.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Last year, he was over the cap. He gets a free pass. This year, he was $30M under the cap.

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 03:55 PM
....another thing that worries me about the CHEAP BASTARD is that our first round pick holds out because he won't sign for the 25k signing bonus TT offers him.

Well the cheap bastard got Rodgers in on time last year.

PackerBlues
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM

:P Is it safe to assume you are happy now Swede?

On a side note........"f*cking Polar Weasel"........HA HA.....Classic! :lol: