PDA

View Full Version : "Al harris best shutdown cb in game"

packers11
10-31-2006, 06:44 PM
http://highlightreel.blogs.mlive.com/default.asp?item=260223

Roy Williams: DeAngelo Hall not all that
Posted by Bill Emkow October 31, 2006 08:17
Highlight Reel Index Print | Email | Listen

Roy Williams doesn't understand the hype about Falcons' cornerback DeAngelo Hall, a 2005 Pro Bowler. In his weekly interview on Sports Radio 1130 Detroit, Williams says he's a good player, but mainly a product of media hype. He's a zone defender, and that's how he gets his interceptions. He's not going to shut any one player down.

"I don't understand how he's the best DB. I think the media pumps him up. He's not a man-to-man guy, he's a zone guy. He's in the right place at the right time for his interceptions. It's not like he's in man-to-man, and jumping routes, to pick balls off.

"He is a talker. He's a good player. He's a zone player. He's not a man-to-man, shut-down corner like the media pumps him up to be."

What does he talk about?

"A lot of bad things that he don't mean. Only during the games do he mean it. Then after the game, we're buddy-buddy. He's a good player. This is going to be a good task for us. He might travel with me everywhere I go, but I doubt it because he's a zone player."

Who is the best corner in the NFL, excluding your teammate Dre Bly?

"The best corner, in my opinion, is Al Harris from Green Bay. He's not going to get you those picks. But that's a shut-down corner. He's going to pressure you all game, he doesn't want no help up top, he's going to pressure you all game, he wants that No. 1 guy every week. It's a tough task getting by him because he's so long, he's so lanky, and so strong.

"You don't never hear nothing about him because he don't have the picks like these other guys because he don't play zone. He plays man-to-man, and you won't catch any balls against him."

Listen to the full interview by clicking on the MP3, or subscribing to the podcast.

:mrgreen: Give Harris a little bonus.... Please T.T. :smack:

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Interesting...and it means a little more seeing as it comes from a guy who sees the Packers a couple of times every season.

gbpackfan
10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
I think the Packers should extend him. I believe they will too. .

justanotherpackfan
10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
I strongly disagree with Williams comments. Come on, it's not Harris.

FritzDontBlitz
10-31-2006, 07:18 PM
the packers will not let harris go. they will do what they need to do to keep him. good cover corners are too hard to find, and the pack suffered for two years after they lost mike mckenzie. i'm sure tt has no intention of going through that.

pacfan
10-31-2006, 07:29 PM
He doesn't get the picks 'cause he can't hold on to the ball :thank:

justanotherpackfan
10-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree.

I just thought I'd get my 500th post over with.

billy_oliver880
10-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Where is Patler with comparasion stats?? :?:

cheesner
10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
"You don't never hear nothing about him ...
Let's see, a triple negative, so you don't hear anything?

This guy didn't not go to college, and actually made it at least 3 years? That isn't not amazing!

ahaha
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
I hope the Packers find a way to keep Harris, maybe give him a decent raise and some extra bonuses. But, if he thinks he's going to get a mega long term deal, he's crazy. Teams don't give mega deals to a 32 year old unless he's had a spectacular career; guys like Reggie White or Brett Favre. Hopefully, the Packers will offer him a minor raise and he'll have the sense to take it and shut up.

billy_oliver880
10-31-2006, 09:04 PM
I hope the Packers find a way to keep Harris, maybe give him a decent raise and some extra bonuses. But, if he thinks he's going to get a mega long term deal, he's crazy. Teams don't give mega deals to a 32 year old unless he's had a spectacular career; guys like Reggie White or Brett Favre. Hopefully, the Packers will offer him a minor raise and he'll have the sense to take it and shut up.

TT seems good at the incentive packages. If players do well they get payed well. If players do poorly their pay will reflect it. Isn't that sort of what he did with Woodson?

ahaha
10-31-2006, 09:06 PM
:lol: :laugh: :lol:

This guy didn't not go to college, and actually made it at least 3 years? That isn't not amazing!

:lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

KYPack
10-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Nobody has mentioned him, but Champ Bailey is the man.

Hall is a solid corner, faster than Harris and better aginst the run.

That said, Al is a very good corner.

Do the Pacrs pay him?

I'm still on the fence about that one.

GBRulz
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM

Yes, my thoughts exactly... reading that make me cringe

Partial
10-31-2006, 09:54 PM

Thats two top tier receivers in the league echoing the same sentiment. Perhaps we're all under valuing him?

Partial
10-31-2006, 09:54 PM
I agree.

I just thought I'd get my 500th post over with.

'atta boy JAPF, now just ditch that stupid logo for a motion w and you're set.

Partial
10-31-2006, 09:55 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partial
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM

Yes, my thoughts exactly... reading that make me cringe

It makes me sad knowing i'll never make as much money despite being more intelligent and well-spoken. :cry: :sad:

BF4MVP
10-31-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd be mad if we lost Harris..He's definitely a good corner..I don't know if we should pay him the money he's seeking though, although we will have a ton of cap room, and he's probably just as good or better than anyone who's going to be on the market..

Bretsky
10-31-2006, 10:16 PM

Thats two top tier receivers in the league echoing the same sentiment. Perhaps we're all under valuing him?

Al makes some questionable comments through his agent and for himself and our homerism kicks in naturally.

Yes, most of us do undervalue Al Harris.

The emotions cause us to point out his shortcomings instead of giving him his due. He's still a very solid CB and the fact that our staff chooses to have him matched up on the top WR backs that up.

B

esoxx
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
The Lions must be just thrilled that Williams keeps opening his pie-hole like this. First he claims they would go into Solider Field and win (they got blown out), now he's firing up a very good CB, and by extension the rest of the Falcons who just so happen to have two very impressive wins in a row. No chance they'll overlook Detroit now.

So Charles Rodgers is a bust, Mike Williams is on the way and Roy Williams, the only one who can play, keeps riling up the other team with dumbass remarks. Good job Roy.

Roy Williams is also the player in that game against the Bears who celebrated a first down reception by gyrating and taunting...even though they were down like 31-0 in the third quarter. Asked after the game why he would do such a thing, he said something to the effect that he didn't care what the score was, he would celebrate when he feels like it. Nice.

BF4MVP
10-31-2006, 10:20 PM
As bad a GM as Sherman was, he did make a few great moves..Trading a second round pick for Al Harris ranks right up there with the best of them...

Partial
10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
The Lions must be just thrilled that Williams keeps opening his pie-hole like this. First he claims they would go into Solider Field and win (they got blown out), now he's firing up a very good CB, and by extension the rest of the Falcons who just so happen to have two very impressive wins in a row. No chance they'll overlook Detroit now.

So Charles Rodgers is a bust, Mike Williams is on the way and Roy Williams, the only one who can play, keeps riling up the other team with dumbass remarks. Good job Roy.

Roy Williams is also the player in that game against the Bears who celebrated a first down reception by gyrating and taunting...even though they were down like 31-0 in the third quarter. Asked after the game why he would do such a thing, he said something to the effect that he didn't care what the score was, he would celebrate when he feels like it. Nice.

I like the kid though. He's going to be a very good player.

Partial
10-31-2006, 10:39 PM

Al makes some questionable comments through his agent and for himself and our homerism kicks in naturally.

Yes, most of us do undervalue Al Harris.

The emotions cause us to point out his shortcomings instead of giving him his due. He's still a very solid CB and the fact that our staff chooses to have him matched up on the top WR backs that up.

B

If you're GM Bretsky of the GB packers, how do you handle the Al Harris situation?

Bretsky
10-31-2006, 10:54 PM
First off I communicate with Al Harris and let him know he's an important part of the Packer organization and we appreciate the work he's putting in.
I also let him know we want him to remain a Green Bay Packer and whether it's through Harris or his agent, I find out if the paramaters of this deal can be sweetened slightly without having an adverse effect on our future.

I subtly remind him of his age and indicate since he has a long term deal with us it's not practical to ask for a top tier deal.............but I'd be willing to sweeten things up a bit if it appeases him and keeps him here because he is outperforming his contract. In other words, be fair with us and I will with him.

We're way under the cap this year; my guess is Al Harris might be looking for some bonus options and maybe a slight reworking of the deal. I front load that; ya gotta use the money somehow.

I also get working on deals with Nick Barnett and frontload that. Maybe Wells also, but I think he's a restricted Free Agent so I might wait on him.

Tarlam!
11-01-2006, 01:11 AM
As bad a GM as Sherman was, he did make a few great moves..Trading a second round pick for Al Harris ranks right up there with the best of them...

Even a blind chicken is bound to stumble across a grain of wheat once in a while....

Fritz
11-01-2006, 06:36 AM
First off I communicate with Al Harris and let him know he's an important part of the Packer organization and we appreciate the work he's putting in.
I also let him know we want him to remain a Green Bay Packer and whether it's through Harris or his agent, I find out if the paramaters of this deal can be sweetened slightly without having an adverse effect on our future.

I subtly remind him of his age and indicate since he has a long term deal with us it's not practical to ask for a top tier deal.............but I'd be willing to sweeten things up a bit if it appeases him and keeps him here because he is outperforming his contract. In other words, be fair with us and I will with him.

We're way under the cap this year; my guess is Al Harris might be looking for some bonus options and maybe a slight reworking of the deal. I front load that; ya gotta use the money somehow.

I also get working on deals with Nick Barnett and frontload that. Maybe Wells also, but I think he's a restricted Free Agent so I might wait on him.

Wait a minute, Bretsky. You know darn well if you were Packer GM the first thing, the very first thing, that you'd do would be to cut Robert Ferguson. And you'd spit on his agent, too. THEN you'd talk to Harris. 'Fess up.

I think if I were TT I would not extend Harris's contract (I believe he's got three more years). However, I would rework the contract and load some money up front for the next two years. Give the guy a raise. I figure he'll be good for a couple more years as a standout corner. So pay him like one without extending his contract until he's collecting social security.

Bretsky
11-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Wait a minute, Bretsky. You know darn well if you were Packer GM the first thing, the very first thing, that you'd do would be to cut Robert Ferguson. And you'd spit on his agent, too. THEN you'd talk to Harris. 'Fess up.

I think if I were TT I would not extend Harris's contract (I believe he's got three more years). However, I would rework the contract and load some money up front for the next two years. Give the guy a raise. I figure he'll be good for a couple more years as a standout corner. So pay him like one without extending his contract until he's collecting social security.

BUSTED
Truth be told if I was the GM I'd have traded Fergsuon to Phily last year for whatever I could have received. They were reportedly interested, but with other uncertainties at WR we chose to keep him. Phily was desperate and would have ponied up a mid round pick IMO.

I'm right with you regarding Harris Fritz; you wouldn't want to extend it due to his age. But I'd rework it as well giving him a little more change up front.

Al's not a bad guy and he knows he's underpaid. He's not going to ask for the world, but he feels unappeciated and we should value keeping him enough to make that right while keeping things within reason.

B

B

Bretsky
11-01-2006, 06:44 AM
dang double post

Tarlam!
11-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Time flies when you're an NFL player....

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/7670932

Patler
11-01-2006, 07:49 AM

What comparison would you like? :mrgreen:

Actually, he makes a valid point. How can you compare a CB who plays primarily zone coverages, to one who plays man? It's tough to do. But that's the coaches call. I'm sure some CBs who play mostly zone coverages could also play effectively in man coverage, if given more of an opportunity.

Professional athletes in all sports seem to respect those players who compete straight up, one on one. They are frustrated when they are beaten by schemes. That's why d-linemen complain about zone blocking over power running teams.

pacfan
11-01-2006, 08:55 AM

What comparison would you like? :mrgreen:

Actually, he makes a valid point. How can you compare a CB who plays primarily zone coverages, to one who plays man? It's tough to do. But that's the coaches call. I'm sure some CBs who play mostly zone coverages could also play effectively in man coverage, if given more of an opportunity.

Professional athletes in all sports seem to respect those players who compete straight up, one on one. They are frustrated when they are beaten by schemes. That's why d-linemen complain about zone blocking over power running schemes.

This is why I'm a member of the Patler fan club. Straight-up answers, no dodging, or hyperbole, just the facts. :bow: