PDA

View Full Version : Draft hype : confession

motife
04-22-2006, 06:59 AM
In 1989 I wrote a letter to Tom Braatz, who was in charge of GB's personnel at the time, urging him to draft... Tony Mandarich. Adding to my horror looking back, Braatz actually wrote me back saying, "Don't worry. That's who we're picking." Now I wonder, how much time does that guy have on his hands, and why such a big mouth.

Anyway, it taught me a lesson, as when trading options or stocks, don't listen to anyone but yourself. Don't join a stampede. I thought about that as I read this article in Packernews.com :

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25707356.shtml

Here's the excerpt I'm talking about :

Several scouts who know Thompson expect him to make a safe pick at No. 5 rather than take a home-run swing at a high-risk, high-reward player. That generally suggests he’d take Hawk, assuming Williams is gone.

Thompson disputes the notion he’ll go the safe route, though.

“I wouldn’t bet on it,” he said. “People don’t know me that well.”

Thompson has some other quotes too :

“(This draft) it’s important for this first pick,” Thompson said, “but what’s overlooked is that we’re picking early in all the other rounds except the (sixth and seventh) as well. So instead of picking at 60 (in the second round) we’re picking at 36, and instead of picking at 90 (in the third round), we’re picking at (67). So we should be able to improve our team if we do our job right.”

Thompson also probably wants to acquire more picks for a few extra swings at prospects. Last year, he traded down in the third round and parlayed seven selections into 11.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m sure everybody would like to have more picks than less picks,” Thompson said. “But it might not work out that way. There were several years in Seattle where the whole time I was thinking we’d move, and every time it got to be our turn there was somebody we really had a hankering for, and we just stood there and picked.”

A short one from Mike McCarthy :

The Packers, though, appear confident they’ll have a shot at a player they’ve graded as a top-echelon prospect.

“There are going to be at least two really good players there,” coach Mike McCarthy said Friday.

Just as an aside, and I think this is total BS, but Len Pasquarelli wrote earlier this week that the Saints are eyeing A.J. Hawk with the 2nd pick, the Jets either Mario Williams or D'brickashaw Ferguson with the 4th. The Titans will pick a QB and the Texans Reggie Bush.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 08:16 AM
As long as we are on confessions, I wrote to Ted Thompson regarding the coaching search. Suffice to say, he didn't listen to me and never responded, which was no surprise.

I also wrote once to Phil Garner, and he was nice enough to respond back with a handwritten 250 word response. That was pretty great. He was a good guy.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 09:35 AM
I also wrote once to Phil Garner, and he was nice enough to respond back with a handwritten 250 word response. That was pretty great. He was a good guy.

I met Phil at an offseason player/fan event in one of his last seasons. He was nice enough to hang w/ my friends and I for 5-10 min and then I ended up standing behind him for a Channel 4 interview with Kevin Hunt (that was awhile ago apparently).

I think TT is searching for picks with Walker in the underlying message. Or, trading down with #5.

Who do you think the 'two' potentials available at 5 are? Williams will be gone - so Hawk and Davis? The more I see of Davis - the more I like either of these guys. I've said Hawk all along but wouldn't mind Favre-Davis TD celebrations :smile:

motife
04-22-2006, 09:44 AM
As long as we are on confessions, I wrote to Ted Thompson regarding the coaching search. Suffice to say, he didn't listen to me and never responded, which was no surprise.

I feel that it was due to me and me alone that the Packers drafted Mandarich. My letter goaded them into doing it.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 09:47 AM

I feel that it was due to me and me alone that the Packers drafted Mandarich. My letter goaded them into doing it.

Bastard - we could had our choice of Deion or Barry... :lol:

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 09:48 AM

It took you long enough to confess. I think you need to change your av to a pic of Tony. And Mad needs to change your signature to Roid Rat.

motife
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
[quote=motife]I think you need to change your av to a pic of Tony.

http://spartanstars.home.comcast.net/images/Mandarich-Packers90PS.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/04/15/draft.busts/gallery_mandarich.jpg

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/arc/image/824/tony824.jpg

biggest early 1st round draft busts :

Ki-Jana Carter, RB, Penn State (1st overall, Bengals, 1995)
He wasn't able to get it done or show the skill level to be an effective NFL running back. His knee injury hurt him right away too.
Russell Erxleben, K/P, Texas (11th overall, Saints, 1979)
He didn't transition from being a great college kicker to the NFL.
Brian Jozwiak, OT, West Virginia (7th overall, Chiefs, 1986)
He didn't seem to have the ability to handle quick outside pass rushers. He was more of a run blocker in college.
Tony Mandarich, OT, Michigan State (2nd overall, Packers, 1989)
He was a dominator in college who struggled mightily in NFL. He didn't transition well. He was drafted ahead of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders.
Lawrence Phillips, RB, Nebraska (6th overall, Rams, 1996)
He was a product of Nebraska's offense, an I-back who had time to run downhill behind a great offensive line. In the NFL, he played too upright and couldn't make people miss. Plus, he had off-the-field problems. He was drafted ahead of Eddie George.
Art Schlichter, QB, Ohio State (4th overall, Colts, 1982)
He had off-the-field problems with gambling and did nothing with the Colts. He was a great talent who never materialized because he wasn't focused.
Heath Shuler, QB, Tennessee (3rd overall, Redskins, 1994)
He was a holdout, and not being in camp hurt him immediately. Then Gus Frerotte, another '94 draft pick, seized control of the team. Shuler never caught up. He also wasn't the pure passer he needed to be.
Kelly Stouffer, QB, Colorado State (6th overall, Cardinals, 1987)
He had a solid career in college, but he wasn't projected to go high. He was a major reach; I thought he was a second- or third-round pick.
Blair Thomas, RB, Penn State (2nd overall, Jets, 1990)
The history of Penn State running backs hasn't been great. He never showed the burst or creativity as a runner and the great package of skills needed in the NFL.
Andre Ware, QB, Houston (7th overall, Lions, 1990)
Another QB hurt by a holdout. He was drafted to run Wayne Fontes' run-and-shoot offense. Rodney Peete ended up settling into the offense instead. Ware had talent, but the team never took to him as a leader.

Dishonorable Mention
Trev Alberts, OLB, Nebraska (6th overall, Colts, 1994)
Anthony Bell, LB, Michigan State (5th overall, Cardinals, 1986)
Todd Blackledge, QB, Penn State (7th overall, Chiefs, 1983)
Bob Buczkowski, DE, Pittsburgh (24th overall, Raiders, 1986)
Rich Campbell, QB, California (6th overall, Packers, 1981)
Tom Cousineau, MLB, Ohio State (1st overall, Bills, 1979)
Mike Croel, LB, Nebraska (4th overall, Broncos, 1991)
Eric Curry, DE, Alabama (6th overall, Buccaneers, 1993)
Jim Druckenmiller, QB, Virginia Tech (26th overall, 49ers, 1997)
Clyde Duncan, WR, Tennessee (17th overall, Cardinals, 1984)
Steve Emtman, DT, Washington (1st overall, Colts, 1992)
Desmond Howard, WR, Michigan (4th overall, Redskins, 1992)
Mike Junkin, LB, Duke (5th overall, Browns, 1987)
Shawn Knight, DT, BYU (11th overall, Saints, 1987)
David Klingler, QB, Houston (6th overall, Bengals, 1992)
Eric Kumerow, OLB, Ohio State (16th overall, Dolphins, 1988)
Ryan Leaf, QB, Washington State (2nd overall, Chargers, 1998)
Tommy Maddox, QB, UCLA (25th overall, Broncos, 1992)
Todd Marinovich, QB, USC (24th overall, Raiders, 1991)
Keith McCants, DE, Alabama (4th overall, Buccaneers, 1990)
Dan McGwire, QB, San Diego State (16th overall, Seahawks, 1991)
Rick Mirer, QB, Notre Dame (2nd overall, Seahawks, 1993)
Bruce Pickens, DB, Nebraska (3rd overall, Falcons, 1991)
Jack Thompson, QB, Washington State (3rd overall, Bengals, 1979)
David Verser, WR, Kansas (10th overall, Bengals, 1981)
Dan Wilkinson, DT, Ohio State (1st overall, Bengals, 1994)

[/img]

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 10:11 AM
The Saints took a kicker with the 11th pick in the draft?!?!?

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 10:35 AM
There were several years in Seattle where the whole time I was thinking we’d move, and every time it got to be our turn there was somebody we really had a hankering for, and we just stood there and picked.

I love the fact he used hankering. I wonder if he chews. If he does, then I don't think he's gay.
:D

GoPackGo
04-22-2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/arc/image/tony.jpg

he looks a playmaker.pffffhhhhhhhhhh.. :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Mandarich did have an OK NFL career, starting guard for Indy.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030328/col_longley-sun.html

motife
04-22-2006, 11:08 AM
There were several years in Seattle where the whole time I was thinking we’d move, and every time it got to be our turn there was somebody we really had a hankering for, and we just stood there and picked.

I love the fact he used hankering. I wonder if he chews. If he does, then I don't think he's gay.
:D

Being around Bum Phillips and living in Houston for years changes your speech patterns from proper English to Texan.

RashanGary
04-22-2006, 11:11 AM
He was all upper body. He had no trunk.

Patler
04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Motife - is that your list of first round busts or someone elses?

The problem with a list like that is that for some players it tends to evaluate success or failure based on whether or not the player fulfilled his pre-draft hype.

Mandarich is a classic example. He certainly didn't become the perenial All-Pro that many people predicted; however he did have a 7 year career and was a starter at GB for 2 seasons and a starter at Indy for 3 seasons. How does that make him a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf? or Rich Campbell? or Brian Bosworth? They played, but very little.

Mandarich may have had even a better career if it hadn't been for the intestinal virus that sidelined him his entire last year in GB. The previous two years he had been the starting RT and at one point toward the end of his second year as a starter there were articles generally suggesting he was developing into a steady, but unspectacular player. When he was sidelined the entire next season, losing significant weight and strength, every team lost interest in him. At Indy he was viewed again as a steady, but unspectacular player. A lot of positive things were said about his leadership at Indy, and his influence on young players who he cautioned against having the attitude he had in GB. Unfortunately he suffered a significant shoulder injury that he was not able to return from.

It kind of irks me sometime when he is batched with other first round players that never contributed anything. He was a victim of his dominating college career and the media hype that followed him

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM

The problem with a list like that is that for some players it tends to evaluate success or failure based on whether or not the player fulfilled his pre-draft hype.

Mandarich is a classic example. He certainly didn't become the perenial All-Pro that many people predicted; however he did have a 7 year career and was a starter at GB for 2 seasons and a starter at Indy for 3 seasons. How does that make him a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf? or Rich Campbell? or Brian Bosworth? They played, but very little.

Mandarich may have had even a better career if it hadn't been for the intestinal virus that sidelined him his entire last year in GB. The previous two years he had been the starting RT and at one point toward the end of his second year as a starter there were articles generally suggesting he was developing into a steady, but unspectacular player. When he was sidelined the entire next season, losing significant weight and strength, every team lost interest in him. At Indy he was viewed again as a steady, but unspectacular player. A lot of positive things were said about his leadership at Indy, and his influence on young players who he cautioned against having the attitude he had in GB. Unfortunately he suffered a significant shoulder injury that he was not able to return from.

It kind of irks me sometime when he is batched with other first round players that never contributed anything. He was a victim of his dominating college career and the media hype that followed him

ESPN labled Mandarich either the 2nd or 3rd greatest bust in the history of the NFL draft in their show special. Leaf was very high as well.

motife
04-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Hi sham,

It's Mel Kiper's. You might be able to recognize his "Dick Vitale-esque" enthusiasm in some of his comments.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 12:51 PM
The Bears had a few draft busts on there as well - Curtis Enis and Cade McNown.

esoxx
04-22-2006, 04:49 PM
David Terrell, Rashan Salaam, Marc Columbo, Roper, etc...

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 06:02 PM
I actually purchased a Tony Mandarich jersey. :roll: It had the number 77 but no name. I kept it for a while after Tony was gone hoping someone good would get the number. It became a jinx as player after player with the number would get cut. I finally got rid of it. Recently Cullen Jenkins has redeemed the number somewhat.

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 07:17 PM
I don't think Tommy Maddox deserves to be on those lists anymore.

oregonpackfan
04-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I actually purchased a Tony Mandarich jersey. :roll: It had the number 77 but no name. I kept it for a while after Tony was gone hoping someone good would get the number. It became a jinx as player after player with the number would get cut. I finally got rid of it. Recently Cullen Jenkins has redeemed the number somewhat.

Perhaps you can take consolation that Packer starter Ron Kostelnik wore that number during the Lombardi Glory years for the Packers. Kostelnik was not a star but a steady performer.

Oregonpackfan

Guiness
04-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Agreed on Maddox. And Desmond Howard? Sure he never lived up to expectations, but he had at least one really big game :wink:

What about Dan Wilkinson? Again, not the force he was supposed to be, but an 11 year career as a starter? How is that a bust?