PDA

View Full Version : Is there a correlation?

Patler
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Most would agree the Packer pass defense and backfield in general have been better the last three games.
The number of "explosive" plays in games have gone down the last few games.
We've seen all the cornerbacks make plays on the ball.

Ahmad Carroll was waived after the fourth game.

Is the pass defense better overall with Dendy instead of Carroll?
Are Woodson and Harris getting more opportunities because Carroll isn't there to be "easy pickings" for opposing QBs?

I don't know, but it doesn't appear that Carrol has been missed.

chewy-bacca
11-01-2006, 09:55 AM
I dunno if its as much Dendy in as it is Carroll out. He was not good in the locker room, on the field, or well any place in Green Bay.

LaFours
11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Amen.

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Well, that and the fact we have played less explosive offenses. Miami isn't very explosive with Harrington at QB. Arizona isn't very explosive with the rookie QB and without Fitzgerald. St. Louis would be the one exception, but they still managed to get six explosive plays--which is probably closer to average. The first four games included Chicago, New Orleans, and Philadelphia. I'd imagine those three rank pretty high in explosive plays this year. Probably a combination. Overall, you'd have to think the coaches are much more content with Dendy's play than Carroll's play.

FritzDontBlitz
11-01-2006, 09:58 AM
well, i've noticed that plays with packer defenders taunting opponents after they've made a good play have dropped to zero since carroll left.

coincidence? i think not.

Patler
11-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I dunno if its as much Dendy in as it is Carroll out. He was not good in the locker room, on the field, or well any place in Green Bay.

That's my point. Dendy is in and Carroll is out. Not that Dendy is anything great, but is the team better off with him and not Carroll, for whatever reason? Or have the improvements, including interceptable balls being thrown to receivers covered by Harris and Woodson, just a coincidence? Would those balls have gone to another receiver if Carroll was still here, because opposing QBs didn't worry about Carroll making a play to break up a pass (as Dendy has), and knew that a penalty against Carroll was always a possibility?

Badgerinmaine
11-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree with HW--I'm not missing Carroll, but then again those wins weren't over worldbeater teams, either.

ahaha
11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't think Carroll has played in any games for the Jags. NFL.com has him only playing those 4 games he was with the Packers. They must not be too excited with him if they haven't activated him for a game yet.

KYPack
11-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't think Carroll has played in any games for the Jags. NFL.com has him only playing those 4 games he was with the Packers. They must not be too excited with him if they haven't activated him for a game yet.

They signed Carroll for depth when one of their Nickle guys went down. He was an insurance policy. If Carroll doesn't know what he's doing, Del Rio and his defensive staff will never let Carroll hit the field

pbmax
11-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I really should read all the posts before repeating what people say. :oops:

Brando19
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM
We'll find out against Minnesota and New England.

Noodle
11-01-2006, 11:31 AM
This question may be better asked after the 3-game string of the Vikes, Pats & Seahawks (assuming they get their QB and RB back). Dendy looks ok, though I'm not convinced he's anay better than Carroll. Let's see how things hold up when we play some teams with effective offenses.

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, Rome wasn't built in a day. I doubt we're going to look fantastic against New England and Seattle (if they are healthy)--with or without Carroll.

MadtownPacker
11-01-2006, 12:15 PM
OK, time for me to eat a big ass bowl of crap.

I was a (extreme) Carroll supporter but I saw Dendy make a play against the Dolphins that Carroll has never ever made. Even with all his speed and toughness. I cant remember who he was against but it was a deep pass towards the sidleine, maybe even in the endzone. Dendy stayed with his guy and as the ball got there he turned around zoomed in on it and easily swatted it away.

I hate to say it but Carroll would have gave up the catch or got a penalty for sure. He never learned to find the ball. That is what got his ticket punched IMO.

CaptainKickass
11-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I got 1 word for all of this "with Carroll gone - is the team better" overanalyzing:

DUH!

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9677/captainobviousax0.th.jpg (http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captainobviousax0.jpg)

MasonCrosby
11-01-2006, 12:32 PM
i never was a big carroll supporter and thought he talked too much while doing squat...